VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently got the Pioneer BDR-208DBK which is a Blu-Ray writer but I'm having a hard time setting the booktype to DVD-ROM. I tried to set it with 4 different applications already but wasn't able to do it with any of them. I used ImgBurn, DVD Decrypet, Nero and DVDInfoPro. Does anybody here know any solution for the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Some drives do not allow you to do this. I have no idea whether your drive is that way or not. However I want you to understand that this is 2013 and not 2003 and it is almost never necessary any more to set this. The broken way that older DVD players worked that required this kludge has long since been fixed on just about every modern DVD and BD player. You should be fine even if you can't set it.

By the way, do note that if you are using DVD-R discs you CANNOT ever set them to DVD-ROM anyway. I've seen some people try to do this so I thought I better mention it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've been using DVD+R since 2004. Is just that I'm having problems playing my DVD movies because the booktype is set to DVD+R and I can't find the option to change it anywhere in the burning software.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Don't think it can be done in software with Pioneer burners. Back when I was using Pioneer dvd burners, I'd get the Buffalo firmware because bitsetting was enabled.

There may not be an option like that for the Pioneer blu ray drives. And I've seen ala42 (author of MediaCodeSpeedEdit) mention that the Pioneer blu ray firmware is encrypted. I don't know if the 208 firmware is, specifically, but it may very well be.

It might be time to switch to DVD-R discs. Both the Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are good quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You could just buy a newer DVD player rather than using whatever ancient player you're too cheap to get rid of that still requires book type. Or just switch to DVD-R as Kerry56 said (you can't set booktype on these, nor is it even necessary if it were possible) but then I bet you're going to tell us that your ancient player only likes DVD+R discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    You could just buy a newer DVD player rather than using whatever ancient player you're too cheap to get rid of that still requires book type. Or just switch to DVD-R as Kerry56 said (you can't set booktype on these, nor is it even necessary if it were possible) but then I bet you're going to tell us that your ancient player only likes DVD+R discs.
    ...best advice IMHO.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote