VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I must have reset something. Made one avi to VIDEO_TS folder with subtitles very smoothly. Tried to do the second one (from the same source - a three part movie) got all the preceding files but never the finishing VIDEO_TS folder. I made notes because the first went so smoothly, and then subsequent notes as things went wrong. Noticed on the later misfires that Progress went beyond 100%.

ffmpegX
    > avi to DVD ffmpg
    > Video tab: toggle Framerate: NTSC > toggle Autosize: DVD 16:9
    > Filters tab: load srt file >

ffmpegX - DVD mpeg-2 doesn't accept srt files? Use ffmpeg DVD choice.

-----------
    ffmpegX didn't make VIDEO_TS folders

retry - mpeg 2 DVD
    // ck that when Autosize toggled to DVD 16:9 or DVD makes: Video Size correct [720 x 480] bitrate errors?

Again - no vIDEO_TS folder
    ----------------
    try diff avi (#3) dvd ffmpeg>NTSC>DVD16.9>load subs

------------no VIDEO TS
    only making // ffmpeg:
    avi.ff.mpg - 2GB
    .avi.ff.mpg.s.mpg - 0kb
    .avi.ff.mpg.xml - 4kb

or

making // mpeg2:
    .avi.ff.m2v - 2GB
    .avi.ff.mp2 - 150MB
    avi.ff.mpg - 210GB
    avi.ff.mpg.s.mpg - 0kb
    .avi.ff.mpg.xml - 4kb

38 GB available
    ----------------------
    62 GB avail - retry: out put : avi.ff.mpg (only)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When ffmpegX is creating movie.avi.ff.mpg.xml, movie.avi.ff.mpg.s.mpg, and the latter is 0 kb, then it looks like the error is with the subtitles.
    The log could confirm that, as well as hold clues to why the process stopped there. The log is accessible by clicking the blue "i" in the ffmpegX Progress window after a conversion attempt.

Maybe the subtitle format is not recognized or unsupported,
    maybe it contains illegal characters,
    maybe something else entirely.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The srt file worked in first DVD output. Both 1 and 2 from same source. Both play with subtitles as avi files in VLC. Here's the log, if you wouldn't mind reading it. Appreciate your reply. And many other replies you've made that I've read.

FFmpeg version CVS, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
    Mac OSX universal build for ffmpegX
    libavutil version: 49.0.0
    libavcodec version: 51.9.0
    libavformat version: 50.4.0
    Tue Jun 12 18:22:48 EDT 2012
    Input #0, avi, from '2 Byfa邊nen.avi':
    Duration: 01:32:01.4, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1059 kb/s
    Stream #0.0, 25.00 fps(r): Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 688x496
    Stream #0.1: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 384 kb/s
    Output #0, dvd, to '2 Byfa邊nen/2 Byfa邊nen.avi.ff.mpg':
    Stream #0.0, 29.97 fps(c): Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 720x480, q=2-20, 4000 kb/s
    Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo, 224 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
    Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
    Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
    video:1777546kB audio:150974kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 24.195964%
    bench: utime=2120.521s
    INFO: Locale=C
    INFO: Converting filenames to US-ASCII
    ERR: Cannot convert UTF8 string '邊nen/2 Byfa邊nen.srt': Illegal byte sequence

I didn't realize this was so short. Some of the earlier misses were longer. I almost feel like re-converting #1 to see how the log looks accepting the srt file that worked. How can a part 1 and part 2 srt file be so possibly different?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fincat View Post
    ERR: Cannot convert UTF8 string '邊nen/2 Byfa邊nen.srt': Illegal byte sequence
    This error line might mean that it is the filename that is throwing things off. Try renaming using only ascii characters.

If it is the content (i.e. something inside the .srt file), then try copying all into a new document:
    Open TextEdit. Using the File menu, open the .srt file with the correct text encoding, likely UTF-8. If the content looks good (no weird stuff like '邊nen/2 Byfa邊nen'), then select all, copy.
    Open a new document, change the format to Plain Text, paste. Save as 'Part_two.srt', with UTF-8 text encoding.
    This procedure may remove file errors like "Illegal byte sequence".
    (VLC may have done a lot of automatic error resolving -- correcting stuff that ffmpegX may trip over.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bet that's it. At least the file title. I will look inside, too. Thanks for the detailed how to. Why I think you found it is 1) part one has no strange characters in the file name (1 Innan frosten.avi, 1 Innan frosten.srt) and 2) the progress log quoted above, has added a character to the title in trying to figure out what it is. The actual file name is "2 Byfånen.srt/.avi." One umlat, and one "a."
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It appeared to be the title of the file(s) that created the problem.

I removed the special character from both the .avi and the .srt file titles. Ran it and got the same log error message. So, I started on opening the .srt file and removing any special characters in the subtitle text. While at the same time I noticed the Folder that contains the .srt and .avi file also had a special character. I corrected that and ran ffmpegX in the background on the unedited .srt file while I corrected a copy. The VIDEO_TS folder was made while I was still working on the subtitle text. Subtitles complete with umlats.

It appeared to be a path error to the subtitle file. As long as any of the files or folders didn't have any strange characters (that were changed to triple characters - at least that's how the process log shows it) ffmpegX can find its way to the file.

Thanks very much. And thanks for the note on the difference between VLC and ffmpegX.
    Quote Quote