VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Where do you rent your movies?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Flaystus
    Netflix. Haven't set foot in a local place since I signed up. If I want it SO bad I can't wait on netflix that means I should likely be buying it in the first place.
    Netflix is o.k., and very convenient, but their coverage can be spotty, depending on what sort of movies you like. The dinosaur chains like Blockbuster or Hollywood Video -- Forget It ! They are Best Seller shops only -- the equivalent to film of what the defunct Crown Books was to bookstores. BB is quite poor for foreign titles, unfriendly to Indies, won't touch unrated releases. Screw 'em !

If you live near a major city, you can probably find smaller local chains or surviving 1-of rental shops with a better selection, or some that specialize in certain areas. And there are plenty of online vendors like this too, for sale or for rental. If anyone needs a list, I could probably compile one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Local or few minute drive, rental stores, cos I like to browse the covers on the shelve, I like to chat with the people working there, and feel that I'm dealing with human beings.
    But:
    Originally Posted by Paul-G
    the local store charges nearly £4 a time which is rather expensive
    Originally Posted by RDF
    rentals are $4.50 plus tax
    Originally Posted by E404pnf
    form blockbuster, it would cost me £3.95
    Geez, you guys get ripped off on rental fees ! All top shops here in Cyprus charge cy£1.50 for new releases, cy£1 for older stuff (about $3 & $2).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cyflyer
    Local or few minute drive, rental stores, cos I like to browse the covers on the shelve, I like to chat with the people working there, and feel that I'm dealing with human beings.
    But:
    Originally Posted by Paul-G
    the local store charges nearly £4 a time which is rather expensive
    Originally Posted by RDF
    rentals are $4.50 plus tax
    Originally Posted by E404pnf
    form blockbuster, it would cost me £3.95
    Geez, you guys get ripped off on rental fees ! All top shops here in Cyprus charge cy£1.50 for new releases, cy£1 for older stuff (about $3 & $2).
    My grocery store: Albertsons
    Beats that during $1 Mondays and $1 Wednesdays = ~ £ 0.568602
    Other days are $3 = £ 1.68

Older titles are £ 0.57 for 3 days

PS: I'm not trying to one up you. We are united in the goal to drive rental costs down.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    English non pay channel TV, provides plenty of movies which can be recorded and watched when required. No need to watch the lastest movies they all come on tv in the end.

Don`t let TV take over your life............
    Quote Quote  
  5. Netflix and Hastings
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I must be a really cheap bastard. I go to the public library and check them out for free.

Hey you can get four of them a week and hey I can request ones I wan't if they have in there system
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Zip.ca -- the local equivalent to Netflix.

My second most common source is borrowing from my friends' video collections.

For some anime, I'll rent from my local comic shop (they have a movie rental section).

If I'm in a rush to see a recent release or grabbing some flicks to watch with friends, I'll sometimes hit Blockbusters or another local shop.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by craigarta
    I must be a really cheap bastard. I go to the public library and check them out for free.

Hey you can get four of them a week and hey I can request ones I wan't if they have in there system
    I do the library too. But they don't have the widest selection. I finally signed up on NETFLIX because they have just about every tv show on dvd - unlike Blockbuster
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote