VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I am not sure if this is in the right forum, so if not, please forgive me.

I have an Xvid that is 960x544 with a 23.9 frame rate. It is an HDTV rip that I am trying to get to play on my standalone dvd player, the Philips DVP-642, to my Sony HDTV 34XS955 (1080i display).

When I try to play it, the dvd player says "Reso. Not Supported".

Is there any way around this without converting the entire Xvid or would I just be better off buying an upscaling DVD player like the Oppo?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, forgot to mention I am using Component video cables from the dvd player to my Sony HDTV. Any help / input would be greatly appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  3. You have to resize and reencode to 720 pixels (or less) wide for the DVP 642.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    960 x 544 is half HDTV. From what I know, this must be a capture from HDMI without HDCP support.

You need to convert your source to PAL or NTSC.
    PAL is a slight better for your case, but since you are from USA, NTSC may be is neccessary.
    You need to resize your source and boost / telecine your source.
    OR: Make your old PC a HTPC and forget about convertions etc...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by SatStorm
    You need to convert your source to PAL or NTSC.
    PAL is a slight better for your case, but since you are from USA, NTSC may be is neccessary.
    You need to resize your source and boost / telecine your source.
    Since he's using a DVP-642, which can play divx/Xvid AVI files, all he has to do is reduce the frame size to 720 (or fewer) pixels wide and recompress to Divx/Xvid AVI. The player will handle all the details of producing a PAL or NTSC compliant signals for the TV, just as a HTPC would (his source is already at the NTSC film frame rate anyway). Since the source frame dimensions are very close to 16:9 it is probably already square pixel. So he should resize to 720x480 or 640x360.

I don't believe the Oppo players will play Divx/Xvid AVI files with frame sizes over 720 pixels wide (ie, HD Divx) either. But he should check for himself.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't believe the Oppo players will play Divx/Xvid AVI files with frame sizes over 720 pixels wide (ie, HD Divx) either. But he should check for himself.

That's correct, the Oppo won't play XviD/DivX files of that resolution. There aren't too many players that can play them at this point, the best known perhaps being the I-O Data AVeL LinkPlayer2. Here's a list of the ones that can play Hi-Def AVIs so far:

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?DVDname=&Search=Search&dvdportable=&dvdchanger=&dv...Submit2=Search

By the way, although most players say they play resolutions up to 720x480/576, I've seen some reports that a lot of them can play up to the pixel count of the max resolution. For example, 720x576=414720 pixels. His 960x544 AVI, at 522240 pixels, is too much, but something like 800x336 (roughly 2.35:1) with 268800 pixels will play on a lot of them. After all, that's fewer pixels than 640x480, which all of them play. Don't know about the DVP-642 though, and I've never tried it on my Oppo.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have the DVP-642 also. I'm not the biggest Divx/Xvid user as I'm only recently getting into it as a method for achiving to DVD some HD TV shows I want to keep. Everyone says that nothing above 720 horizontal will play on this player. While I haven't tried 800x336, I doubt it will work.

One of the things I have done, which may or may not be of use to the original poster, is to sometimes make a HD copy of a show using Divx or Xvid at 1280x720 and a standard definition (SD) copy at 720x400 and save both of them. That way I can play the SD version now and maybe be able to play the HD version in the near (hopefully) future after I get an HD TV and a player capable of playing HD Divx/Xvid.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have a DVP 642 here at the moment so I made some Xvid AVI files (1500 kbps CBR, 23.976 fps) and ran some tests:

It played 736x336, 752x336, and 800x128, and 800x384 Xvid AVI files properly. 960x128 and 960x320 gave a black screen and when I pressed STOP the player "rebooted". 960x544 gave the "unsupported video resolution" message. At 1024x128 it cropped and had a severe color distortion -- but it didn't seem to crash player.

800x384 and 960x320 have the same number of pixels-per-frame as 640x480. At 800x384 the player had no problems. At 960x320 it crashed. So it's not simply a matter of pixels-per-frame. But indeed the player can play some video files that are wider than 720 pixels.

<edit>

I also tried 848x352 and 864x352, both of which have slightly fewer pixels-per-frame than 640x480. Both played but the picture was broken and had severe color distortions.

Note that these tests were all performed with a 10 second test video. So the fact that the player played the 800x384 video properly doesn't necessarily mean that it will play all 800x384 videos properly, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Since he's using a DVP-642, which can play divx/Xvid AVI files, all he has to do is reduce the frame size to 720 (or fewer) pixels wide and recompress to Divx/Xvid AVI.
    You guys are awesome, thanks a lot for the responses.
    What would be the best method to use to try and reduce the frame size and get it down to a resolution that my player will handle? I haven't had a lot of luck in the past when converting and manipulating avi files so I'm a little pessimistic, but I would definately appreciate any suggestions on this step as it seems to be my best bet currently.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi-

What would be the best method to use to try and reduce the frame size and get it down to a resolution that my player will handle?

I'd suggest AutoGK. Set the width you want in the Advanced Settings. Either run 2-passes for a specific file size if you want it for 1 or 2 CDs, or, if you're not all that particular about the final size, do a 1-pass Target Quality for a set percentage (the default 75% is good).

IMPORTANT: Since you have the Philips player with the ESS chipset, be sure to install AutoGK with the ESS chipset option enabled.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks manono. I had actually already tried AutoGK, I set the custom width to 720 and fired it off, but when it gets to AviSynth I get an immediate error message about DirectShowStream and it's unable to open the audio / video. I updated my DirectX to the latest, but no go
    Quote Quote  
  12. Gee, that must be discouraging. Is this the problem:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=492806#post492806

If so, the answer's farther down. Run /autogk/vdubmod/aviproxy/proxyoff.reg file)

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=500920#post500920

There are some other solutions in that thread. Uninstalling and reinstalling AutoGK worked for a couple of guys.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Excellent, I will gives those options a shot and report back.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok after reinstalling my AC3 Filter, I am now able to resize my XviD without any errors... however I am still faced with a major problem.
    The audio is WAY out of sync
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Hipnotik
    Ok after reinstalling my AC3 Filter, I am now able to resize my XviD without any errors... however I am still faced with a major problem.
    The audio is WAY out of sync
    Is the audio out of sync on your Philips DVP-642 but ok on your PC ?
    If so, on your remote control press rewind then quickly press fast forward and then play.

To avoid having to do that, after encoding I run files with AC3 audio through nandub (direct stream copy) , Audio, Interleaving, Preload 96,
    Interleave Audio Every 96, select ms and then ok.

I don't know why this solves my 642's AC3 problem but it does.
    Has to be nandub though, not vdub.

If the audio is out of sync on your PC, try opening it in media player classic.
    Play
    Audio
    Options
    Under Filters select Audio Switcher
    Check "Enable Built In Audio Switcher Filter"
    Audio Time Shift (ms) - next to that is a box. Try positive or negative numbers.
    Click ok
    Play and see if it has improved any.
    When you hit upon a number that seems to have worked, use that number in vdubmod.
    Direct Stream Copy
    Streams
    Stream List
    Right click on the audio file that is listed there.
    Interleaving
    Audio Skew Correction and fill in the number you used in media player classic.
    Click ok and save.

If you use media player classic regularly, you might want to go back and make sure to unselect
    "Enable Built In Audio Switcher Filter" so all other files will play in normally.
    Quote Quote  
  16. AC3 Filter? That's weird. OK, out of synch audio. Did you decrypt using DVD Decrypter in IFO Mode, as you should? It's at the top of DVD Decrypter, Mode->IFO.

If that's not it, is this from a newer DVD that might have one of the new protection schemes in effect, Arccos or RipGuard? What's the name and region of the DVD, if you don't mind me asking?

Or you could try a different method. There are quite a few other all-in-one apps, as well as doing it manually yourself.

And you can always resynch the audio easily enough, assuming it's out of synch by the same amount all the way through.

Edit:

I was doing other things, somebodeez, and didn't get this posted before you. That's a good tip, but do we know he's using the AC3 audio? And I don't like the default AC3 settings of VDubMod either. 96/96 ms is much better.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by manono
    I was doing other things, somebodeez, and didn't get this posted before you. That's a good tip, but do we know he's using the AC3 audio? And I don't like the default AC3 settings of VDubMod either. 96/96 ms is much better.
    You're right - I don't know.
    It's late and I saw AC3 Filter mentioned. I should probably go to bed now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm so used to using VLC to view my videos that I didn't even realize I didn't have the correct codec / filters installed, until when I tried to play the AVI in MPC. Thankfully, that hurdle was passed.

I worked on some of somebodeez' suggestions last night (thanks by the way, very straight directions, helped out A LOT), and I had to re-encode the AVI using CBR audio stream, which was OK no big deal, but telling me how to sync up the audio in MPC was good too. Although I could sync it up at the beginning, if I skipped near the end of the AVI the audio would be out of sync again... Strange, but I'm not going to worry about that unless it's like that when I play it on my stand-alone.

I will use vdubmod tonight and try to sync up the audio and see what happens!
    I am crossing my fingers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Man I thought I made some serious headway, video looks fantastic, and after I followed somebodeez' suggestions to align the audio, the beginning of it is in sync but just gets more out of whack the longer it plays on my stand-alone

The number I came up with in MPC was -1250ms delay, and that's what I entered in vdubmod. Like I said the beginning is good (which is where I was marking the audio in MPC if that has anything to do with it) but just gets worse and worse.

What would be my next step here? It's almost as if the audio is stretched out or something because I would think that if I aligned it at the beginning the rest would follow on track. But that's probably because video/audio editing isn't really my forte :/
    Quote Quote  
  20. In Vdubmod, try this:
    "Video" dropdown menu
    "Framerate"
    Under "Source Rate Adjustment", select "Change so video and audio durations match"
    Save with a new filename

Fingers crossed!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No dice
    Do I need to edit the Stream List again for the audio delay?
    I tried it both ways with the same delay variable and the audio just jumps around almost. It gets out of sync real fast.

I'm using DivxToDvd to see if that will do anything for me but if I can figure out that damn audio I'd be a happy camper.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hopefully you still have the original file -
    The audio in the original file is in sync when you play it on your PC?

If so just for kicks, see if you can open it straight into vdubmod without using autogk or anything else and:

If you get a popup message in vdubmod asking "Do you still want to rewrite the header?", click "No".
    Make sure all of the settings I had you change before are back to default.

Video
    Filters
    Resize and choose your resolution (and I use Lanczos3 filter mode)
    ok

Video
    Compression
    XviD (or DivX if you like. Be sure to use the home theater friendly setting) and use a calculator for what bitrate to use to help meet your target size
    Audio - Direct Stream Copy

Save using a new file name.

If this doesn't do it, I'm stumped.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok processing now.
    The only thing I was a little pessimistic about was the bitrate, since i'm pretty new to all of this (I have read these forums over and over again many times for different projects, and am actually very computer savvy, but for some reason audio & video manipulation is not my stig) so I just chose a target size I would like (around 720566 or something to that effect, which I'm hoping will be around 700mb).

Made sure it's 23.97 Film since that's what the original source is, and set the target resolution to 720x416, since that's what AGK set my other video abortions to.

We'll see what happens when it's finished, but either way I do appreciate your effort in helping me with all of this somebodeez.
    Quote Quote  
  24. If you don't need a file of a particular size, use Single Pass, Target Quantizer (constant quality) mode. Pick a Quantizer (quality) value you like and encode. No matter what frame size, how much or little action, every frame will get exactly the right bitrate to maintain the specified quality. Try around 3 or 4.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Right on, I'll give that a whirl after this batch is done processing.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    somebodeez, your last suggestion did the trick

video is pretty damn good, audio sounds good and is in sync.
    just used vdubmod by itself (which is better than having to mess around with AGK anyways!), will remember this for the future.

Thanks for all the help guys
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by Hipnotik
    somebodeez, your last suggestion did the trick

video is pretty damn good, audio sounds good and is in sync.
    just used vdubmod by itself (which is better than having to mess around with AGK anyways!), will remember this for the future.

Thanks for all the help guys
    YAY!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Philips 5140 won't play HD-DivX/XviD but I did encode an XviD at 1024x576 and it played fine. The quality wasn't as good as the original 1280x720 (it was the Madagascar trailer) but it played fine on the 5140.
    Quote Quote