VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am a new user with limited technical knowledge so please bear with me,
    I created an AVI file on Studio 22 and copied it to a USB Stick.
    The file plays OK on the PC that was used to create it but not on my laptop.
    It is also not compatible with my Samsung Smart TV.
    Any advice would be appreciated
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Please post a MediaInfo report on the file using Text mode, just copy and paste into the post. Next the model of the Samsung TV what formats does it support? This will be in the manual. There are some formats TV's smart or otherwise simply don't support. On your laptop it may lack a required codec.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TV is UA50MU6100WXXY
    2 files uploaded for TV Formats and mediaInfo
    Image Attached Thumbnails TV Formats.pdf  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's PAL DV AVI and that almost certainly will not play on most smart TVs. I just checked the manual for my 2010 Samsung, and it does NOT list DV AVI as a compatible format. Since DV is a 1990s format, it is very unlikely Samsung would have added it, so I'm 99.9% certain that is the problem with your Samsung.

Get the manual for the TV and look up what formats it will play. Then, re-render from Studio to one of those compatible formats.

You didn't say what laptop you have. If it is a MAC, they generally will not play AVI files, but will happily play the exact same video format (DV in this case) if it is put into an MOV container instead of an AVI container.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hardly anything outside a computer will play DV AVI. Your best bet is probably to save it as h.264 and aac in MP4.
    Quote Quote