VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I have tried to unlock a Seiki BD 660 following the instruction found here.
    The Hack works flawlessly with the BD feature but it cannot read Zone 2 DVDs (I always get the wrong disk error message)
    I've probably done something wrong but cannot find what (I already use this hack on two others BD 66 without problem)

Does any of you had an idea?
    If not, may I reset completely the unit to try again to hack it again ?

Thanks for your answers

Regards

MS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That is VERY odd. Usually if only part of the hack works, the DVD part works but BD playback is still region locked. Some things that might cause your problem are hardware or firmware changes in your current BD 660 that make it slightly different from the older ones. Look at the firmware versions and if possible you may need to downgrade the firmware on the newer one. I do NOT recommend EVER upgrading firmware on a player that you make region free. Hollywood makes many of the manufacturers release new firmwares that break region free mode once they find out that a player can be made region free.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi
    The firmware version as indicated on the setup screen under the "system information" folder is BDP V4.2 F6
    I Bought the player last monday i didn't make any upgrade of any Kind.
    The factory screen seem to be the same as the other player I've Hacked.

Regards

MS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Firmware V4.2 F6 is not an issue here. Try to set it to region 2 rather than 0 (for testing). It this doesn't work it's probably not a region issue at all.
    Last edited by marlboro_man; 9th Nov 2012 at 09:04.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi

Tried to set the region to 2 instead of 0...with the same result (error message disk unknown)

Thanks for your suggestion

Regards

MS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I stand by my earlier post. maxyton - You need to carefully read my earlier post. marlboro_man offered no proof that downgrading the firmware, if it can be done, won't fix this. Also, I said that there may be hardware changes that broke the hack. You can't do anything if that's the case.
    Quote Quote  
  7. And I stand by my earlier post since I have a lot of experience with Seiki BD660 and Mediatek MT85XX-based players in general. "Disc unknown" is not a region code error. You can try a newer firmware v.5.0 F6 (it is also region free) but it has a major bug (reversed audio channels) and there is no way to roll back to factory 4.2 F6 firmware because Seiki never released it in a downloadable form.

jman98, you sound like a broken tech support drone. You keep posting your generic, occasionally misleading crap in every "BD region free" topic, but you clearly have no knowledge about any specific players (oh, yeah...except that Insignia player....). You tried, on many occasions, to "school" far more knowledgeable people than you and pretend to be an expert in something you are obviously not. Why don't you do everyone a favor and shut up already?
    Last edited by marlboro_man; 10th Nov 2012 at 05:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by marlboro_man View Post
    And I stand by my earlier post since I have a lot of experience with Seiki BD660 and Mediatek MT85XX-based players in general. "Disc unknown" is not a region code error.
    So what message does an owner of a Seiki BD660 see when they insert a disc with a different region code than what the player is set for?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    So what message does an owner of a Seiki BD660 see when they insert a disc with a different region code than what the player is set for?
    "Wrong region code!", and after you press "OK"/"Enter" it spits out the disc. I am talking only about DVDs, of course.
    Last edited by marlboro_man; 10th Nov 2012 at 07:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Both my old Samsung and my even older Centrum said "WRONG DISC"....it's almost as if it was the default "one size fits all" error message.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I just inserted a blank DVD-R and it said "Unknown disc". Looks like maxyton's player just can't read that R2 disc for whatever reason.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks all of you for your answers.

I think that my unit have definitively an issue. Now even the zone 1 dvd's get the Unknown Disk message.
    I will return my Seiki antd try to obtain a exchange

Thanks again to all of you

Regards

MS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hi

Get a new Seiki
    It's working like a charm

Thanks to all of you who tried to help me...it was very appreciated

Regards

MS
    Quote Quote  
  14. I have a somewhat different problem with the BD660. The hack works fine, except that I only get audio with region 2 discs with the region set to either region 0 or region 2. The disc plays fine to the same TV if I use my computer DVD set to region 2. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by marlboro_man View Post
    ... jman98, you sound like a broken tech support drone. You keep posting your generic, occasionally misleading crap in every "BD region free" topic, but you clearly have no knowledge about any specific players (oh, yeah...except that Insignia player....). You tried, on many occasions, to "school" far more knowledgeable people than you and pretend to be an expert in something you are obviously not. Why don't you do everyone a favor and shut up already?
    +11.
    Quote Quote