VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an older system that I've reloaded for authoring DVDs. Windows XP, 800Mhz, 512M memory.
    I've tried using Ulead MovieFactory and Nero 6 to burn the DVDs, but it always comes back and says the 'disk is already written or the drive is empty'. I've loaded several new Memorex DVD-R disks into the system and I always get the same result.
    Nero just doesn't highlight the next button so I can burn the DVD.
    I've grabbed the latest version of drivers from Panasonic's web site and that hasn't seemed to help.
    I've used the drive to install software from CD and burn VCDs, but it just doesn't want to burn a DVD.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    1000watts
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have burned CD's with the Panasonic LF-D311/310 then you have done something that it can not do. The 311 does not burn CD's! If you can, then you do not have a 311. The 311 only burns DVD-R, DVD-RAM. Will read the CD formats, but not write them.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sorry about that, your right. It must have been the CD burner that's in the machine.
    I played around with it a bit more before leaving work. I tried loading DVDit and that got me a little farther. It complained about no ASPI driver.
    I went to Adaptec's site and downloaded their ASPI driver. That got me a little farther, past the ASPI error message. Unfortunatly, it's still sitting there saying 'verifying media' when I try a burn.
    Any special tricks to installing this thing? I installed the hardware, XP saw it and loaded it's own drivers. I then went out to Panasonic's site and downloaded their drivers for D311.
    Any suggestions?

1000watts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All I can add is that a few others have had problems with XP. I'm on 2000 and have no problems except for ASPI which you did. Have you tried a -RAM disk yet? If the -RAM drivers don't show the drive, it might not burn a regular -R disk. I know the -RAM drivers have to be run after updating the ASPI, and that normally involves uninstalling the driver in the hardware manager. It's a real pain in the @ss, but once you get it working, should be a good drive.

Again, I'm hoping that some of the people that run XP will lend a hand here.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I think I might have found the problem. I was reviewing the system logs on the machine and the DVD drive is reporting an I/O error every time I try and write. I'll try the device on a differnet IDE chain and see what happens.

Thanks,
    1000watts
    Quote Quote