VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I may be answering my own question here, in that from what I have read, it is only possible to save an .avi clip, that has unwanted sections removed, in Full Proccessing Mode in VirtualDub. However, I would prefer the .avi file to be saved as original as I seem to remember, possibly incorrectly, that previously, I was able to do this in Direct Stream Copy. Currently, I have ensured that the cuts were on(k) frames but when attempting to Save As .avi, I am notified " Unable to open file for write ......:The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process ", whatever that is, as I have no other processes open. I am however, able to Save as Old Format .avi, which is not ideal.

Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using the newer Virtualdub2.
    Open the file specifically as 'avi' (not 'all types') and select 'Direct Stream Copy' and only cut on K frames before saving.

Alternatively, instead of Direct Stream Copy select 'Smart Rendering' and cut on any frames, then under Compression choose the same codec as the source (probably XviD MPEG-4).
    Only the cut points are encoded - the rest of the frames are saved without re-rendering.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It depends on what codec is used inside the AVI container. For DV AVI files, Direct Stream Copy lets you save "cuts only" edits without any re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  4. > I am notified " Unable to open file for write ......:The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process "

Are you trying to overwrite the original file? This can't work. You should save to new file.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by todsweeney View Post
    " Unable to open file for write ......:The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process "
    You can't open a file and save to that same file. Save with a different file name.
    Last edited by jagabo; 25th Oct 2018 at 06:45.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much everyone for the infomation and advice, which I have followed, and has resolved the issue.
    Quote Quote