VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    According to the official standards, a cd (and a cd-r disc as well) should have a capacity of 650MB or 700MB of data, or an equivalent of 74 minutes or 80 minutes of audio.

As the laser beam in a cd recorder writes on cd-r media, it travels from the center of the disc towards its edge. Before the physical edge of the cd, there is an already set limit to prevent the laser beam writing beyond that, so that the physical edge of the cd's writable surface will never be met.

This means that there exists a security zone at the edge of the cd-r media. If we could write into that security zone, we could gain in capacity, since we would be able to write more data on the cd. This is called overburning.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone had any experience with overburn, and knows the capacity for a certain brand of media? Something like TDK, or Verbatim, or Memorex, etc.? I think that would be a handy thing for everyone to know. I understand these would not be exact, but just a basic guideline for each brand.
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgment."
    Zefram Cochrane
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My experience with making vcd discs on 80min cdr, just about all ive tried go to about 82min, 23 sec. Anything over that is a no go. There is a list out on the web somewhere as Ive seen it before. Of course you could just use a software proggy to tell ya all the junk about the media overburn/dye type etc.
    mt rainier maybe
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've never tried to overburn, but when I use a TDK 80 minute CD, Nero says I've got approximately 82 minutes available. I've heard of some people getting up to 84 minutes on some 80 minute CD's.
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgment."
    Zefram Cochrane
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I FOUND IT!
    http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cd-cap.html
    Also The software i was thinking of was FUERIO not Mt rainier, sorry.
    Anyway, those are approx times, but like I said before, Ive burned using almost every name disc and most are at 82min.20sec. chepos same as expen ones.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cool. Thanks for the list Do you know where I can find a copy of FUERIO?
    Thanks
    Zefram Cochrane
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    JID10T,
    If you're a Nero owner, it's a free upgrade/download, I think 5.0 up.
    Quote Quote