VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Philips 55PP527 that has HD inputs, you know one of those HD ready tv's.

However since im sure I was fooled by marketing as ive since read here that TVs can accept but NOT display HD signals and that I have to check the 'native reolution'.

Well I have checked the manual and cant find it anywhere. I want to know if it is worthwhile updating to a HD settop box or if the picture will be the same and so I should just stay with SD.

This is all the info I have from the manual, can someone help find out if I should bother updating to a HD box and what my TV is capapble of HD wise:

Philips 55PP527 rear projection 140cm tv with HD inputs.
    Progressive scan, 100hz digital scan.
    HD Connections:

AV3 - YPbPr (or RGB+HV)
    accepting 480p/1080i - 60hz (EIA/CEA-770.2(&3)-C) and 576p-50hz (ITU-R BT.1358);and audio L/R

AV4 - RGB (or YPbPr with adapter) accepting 480p/1080i-60hz (EIA/CEA-770.2(&3)-C) and 576p-50hz (ITU-R BT.1358); and audio L/R

I have no idea what all that means, other thank 1080i is HD interlaced and 576p and 480p are progressive scan HD. (is 576p the same as 720p? i.e. 720x576p??)

If anyone could help me out that would be great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is 55PP527 the correct model number? Google can't find it.

What display technology is that set using?

"100Hz" indicates an upper scale TV. It may be fine.

"100Hz" means 25fps progressive sources are being frame repeated 4 times to avoid flicker at 50Hz.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry edDV your right, I missed a number. The correct number is 55PP9527. I left the 9 out.

Thanks for helping.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having difficulty finding a true spec sheet on that TV that shows the display technology. One forum suggested DLP. The marketing hype is non-informative.

It appears to be a medium level set from 2004 and I would estimate "native resolution" in the 1280x720 range.

I think you would see an improvement over SD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Would there be any other specific info I could possibly look for in the manual that would help?

I just saw your question I missed in your first post about display technology. What would I be looking for in the manual to answer that? Does it literally say 'display technology - whatever it is'?

There is a pixel plus feature but that is like a line doubler type thing so I doubt it is for the HD side of things.

It is not a DLP tv (if by DLP you are talking about the ones that dont suffer screen burn, as there is a warning in the manual about static images).

Also the manual says the YPbPr inputs are better than the RGB input. Would you agree with that as the YPbPr (component?) are also on the standard AV inputs whereas the RGB is only on the HD inputs.

I am in Sydney, Australia. If I was to try and borrow a HD setop box to test the difference, do you know of a particular program that would be noticeable or that tv companies actually display in HD?? I have read that they only show certain amounts of HD and even on the HD channel most shows are not HD! So if I tested it on a show, how do I know if its actually a HD broadcast?? I was thinking something big like LOST or CSI or DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES would be shown in the best quality and may be a good time to try.

Sorry to bombard you with questions but, I am interested in your sig. Is there a post where you explain why there is no PAL or NTSC, as all my discs from the US say NTSC and AUssie ones say PAL.

Thankyou very much for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rudyard
    Thanks. Would there be any other specific info I could possibly look for in the manual that would help?

I just saw your question I missed in your first post about display technology. What would I be looking for in the manual to answer that? Does it literally say 'display technology - whatever it is'?

There is a pixel plus feature but that is like a line doubler type thing so I doubt it is for the HD side of things.

It is not a DLP tv (if by DLP you are talking about the ones that dont suffer screen burn, as there is a warning in the manual about static images).
    Rear projection sets use CRT or LCD or DLP usually as the "projector". In 2004 these HD sets had resolutions in the 1024x768 to 1280x720 range but I'm not very familiar with the Philips projectors.

Also the manual says the YPbPr inputs are better than the RGB input. Would you agree with that as the YPbPr (component?) are also on the standard AV inputs whereas the RGB is only on the HD inputs.
    I have a CRT Philips set from that vintage. VGA (RGB) can be used for computer connection but special software (powerstrip) is needed to create custom resolutions (480p, 540p, 1080i). You risk damage to the set.

On mine there are standard analog YPbPr inputs (480i only) and one "wideband" YPbPr input that can accept 480p, 540p or 1080i. Newer sets have DVI or HDMI inputs. In Australia 480i and 480p would be 576i and 576p.

I am in Sydney, Australia. If I was to try and borrow a HD setop box to test the difference, do you know of a particular program that would be noticeable or that tv companies actually display in HD?? I have read that they only show certain amounts of HD and even on the HD channel most shows are not HD! So if I tested it on a show, how do I know if its actually a HD broadcast?? I was thinking something big like LOST or CSI or DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES would be shown in the best quality and may be a good time to try.
    All of those are broadcast in HD here. Better consult the guides and broadcast channel websites. I'll defer to those in Australia. I think they use 1080i/25 there.

Sorry to bombard you with questions but, I am interested in your sig. Is there a post where you explain why there is no PAL or NTSC, as all my discs from the US say NTSC and AUssie ones say PAL.
    The point I was making at the time is DVD uses Y, Cb, Cr digital components in MPeg2 so there is no PAL or NTSC encoding on the DVD disc. that is distributed. Picture size and frame rates do differ. Analog PAL or NTSC encoding takes place in the player.

"NTSC" 720x480 29.97 fps (interlace) 23.976 fps (progressive)
    "PAL__" 720x576 25 fps (interlace or progresive)
    see https://www.videohelp.com/dvd for details
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thankyou edDV i appreciate your help. Will post results when I try a HD box.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have not been able to get a HD box yet but did manage to speak to phillips on the phone.....she told me (disapointingly) that it can display 576p.

This is what ive found about Australian HDTV broadcasts.

HD can be 576p or 1080i in Australia. Channel 7 and SBS have choosen to broadcast their mandated 1080 hours per year of HD as 576p. Channel 2, 9' and 10 have choosen 1080i.'

If my standard definition is 576i and the max HD I can get is 576p (which I guess is the deadset minimum of what can be called HD) the only difference is interlaced and progressive not actual resolution.

I am still trying to get a box to test as that will be the ultimate answer but I would still appreciate any opinions on whether or not the same resolution in p as opposed to i would be noticeable and worth spending the money upgrading to a HD box?

It is a big screen (55inch or 140cm) so maybe it would still help?
    Quote Quote