VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Perhaps officially this is the case, and Aopen/Ricoh decided to implement this in their firmware?

Dunno!

Hey, if they work, who cares if you are forced to burn at the max speed!
    But, since they dont work for me, I was wanting to try a slower speed.

Thanks for the input Corn. Tomorrow I will try the media included with the drive. Then maybe I will waste more $$$ on another brand. I WAS going to get Maxell, but the stores were out of them.

I asked around as to whether Maxell was better than Memorex, but never got an straight answer. Thanks for the info.

What DVD+R media would you think is best from this list:
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=2&WLBS=fsweb7&catid=12501
    Quote Quote  
  2. Now this Ritek 4xDVD+R info is confusing.

Because these are 2.4xburners and 1xstandalone recorders

drisley
    Try other media brands.
    If that doesnt work I give up

PS send me the drive I'll take care of it
    You stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your fv<king Jacob's off.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by drisley
    Media Information
    Default DVD+RW book type DVD+RW
    Default DVD+R book type DVD+RW
    Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    drisley, this is the media info you posted

You were the one who set the +Rs default to +RW?
    If not then something wrong here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by drisley
    That list only shows 3 brands: Memorex, Maxell, and e3 (whatever that is).
    No contest, get the Maxell. I have CDR's on Maxell stock that I burned in '97 and they're still completely readable and playable. I've used Maxell DVD-R with similar (but obviously less track record) success.
    The e3 stuff might be OK, depends on who actually manufactures it. Anyone?
    They're not showing it online, but they might also have +versions of some of the Fuji or Verbatim stock. That would probably be OK too.

(with some exceptions) *You get what you paid for.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by tompika
    Media Information
    Default DVD+RW book type DVD+RW
    Default DVD+R book type DVD+RW
    Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    drisley, this is the media info you posted

You were the one who set the +Rs default to +RW?
    If not then something wrong here.
    Tompika,
    Yes, that is the media info I posted. Does look fishy?
    I didnt set the DVD book type on that DVD+R at all.
    I was wondering why it would say DVD+RW in there...

BTW, I emailed AOPEN about there statement that you have to burn DVD's at the rated speed. I asked why they say "1x-4x" on the discs. THey said:
    "When it says 1x-4x compatible, i believe that any drive that can be written on that speed would be compatible. If you burn at 4x, then it will burn at 4x. Also, why would you want to burn at a slower speed? "

That makes NO sense. Obviously they are just grasping at straws. Your info is way more helpful Tomp.
    Going to try the included media (Aopen +RW and RICOH +R)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tompika,

Just one question:

How do you do a disc to disc copy with Nero even if the source disc is a dvd-5? Wouldn't the encryption from the original dvd (source) make Nero just bomb because it can't make a valid image of the source to copy to the blank DVD-R? You mentioned this earlier in this thread and I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going totally crazy by not doing direct copies from originals.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I don't think I ever said that you could copy encrypted DVD5 with Nero.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well, I just tried the bundled media (Aopen 2.4x +RW, RICOH 4x +R) using DVD Decrypter ISO mode.
    STILL doesn't work. I have to RMA this baby.
    I hope that I just didnt get a crappy model.

Having a look at the DVD info, it is BIZZARRE that for a DVD+R, it says "Default DVD+R book type DVD+RW". Something is truly messed up.
    I updated to the latest firmware, which you would think would fix any problems like that.

But since AOPEN doesn't even know that you can write variable speeds on DVD media, they probably can't write proper firmware.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FYI,

Drisley commented that they play fine in PC's. When I converted from Nero 5 to 6 I had the same problem. I would burn UDF/ISO 1.02. When I converted to 6, I could no longer burn backups that my portable toshiba player could play. When I used the DVD-Video setting with defaults, all was good again. I have been watching this post in hopes of finding out why this occured. BTW, I have the Sony DRU-510a dual burner so bitsetting is not an option. Also I am using 6.0.0.6 I believe. I have not gone with further updates due to some issues I have read here.

Captain Diode
    Quote Quote  
  10. Try to play these "coasters" on other standalone players before returning the drive.

@Captain
    He tried DVDDecrypter ISO burning too and none would work.
    Its not a Nero issue anymore
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks Tompika for all your help.
    I just tried another DVD player. No go.

So far I've tried.

Pioneer DV-343
    Toshiba SD2700
    Toshiba SD2800

All are +RW compatible, and both the Toshiba's are fairly new.
    The Pioneer is a couple years old, but it does play DVD burned with other burners (however, the owner was no help when I asked what types they were (ie, +R,-R,RW, etc)

I did see a post here recently about someone with a similar issue. DVD's played fine on computers, but not on DVD players. He rma'd, and the one he got in return worked. Seems very bizarre though.
    Also, since DVDinfo Pro (nice tool btw) shows no errors using it's scandisk feature, it seems like it's burning properly, right?

{edit]
    Doh, I just checked and the SD2700 doesnt handle DVD+R(W)!
    But, the others do.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Woohoo!
    I got it to work! Thanks to TOmpika and DVDInfo Pro.

Yes, the default booktypes were all messed up with this burner.
    For some reason, the DVD+R were defaulted to +RW, like DVDINFO said.
    Well, I never had a dvd player to test here, so I kept having to give them to my friends to try, which makes the trial and error process SLOW.

I had just tried my AOpen +RW disc in the SD2700 and it didn't work.
    So, I did a compliant(?) erase using DVDinfo.
    Then I forced ALL the booktypes to DVD-Video.
    I reburned the +RW with DVDDecrypter.
    I then put it in my friends SD2700, and it worked! And this drive isn't even +R(W) compatible!

Beautiful. Now I am going to try my Memorex +RW, and see if they will work. Basically, if they play on this player, then they should play on almost any player.

Although, even though the DVD+R book type defaulted to +RW, the previous disks I burned DID burn as DVD-Video. Hmmm. Well, more testing with that media tonite.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Keep pluggin'
    Quote Quote  
  14. Just tried a Memorex +RW and it worked too!
    YEah!

Here is a weird log from DVD Decrypter....

Aopen DRW4410, write speed not supported 2.4x
    Write speed 2.3x

Wierd..

Now to try Nero (yikes).
    Quote Quote  
  15. So, I tried the Memorex +R using Nero DVD-Video.
    I left booktype alone in Nero, and set it to DV-Video in DVDINFO.

It wouldnt play in my loaner Toshiba SD2700.
    But, today I received a new progressive scan samsung 5 dvd changer!
    I tried it in that and it works!!!

For the heck of it, I tried some of those first run burns before setting booktype in DVDInfo, they wouldn't even play in my new DVD.
    I guess the booktype was just screwed on my burner's factory settings.

All fixed now!
    And as far as that +R not playing on the SD2700, that should be expected. It's not rated to play any + format. And, it does play +RW with booktype set to DVD-Video, which is more than you could even expect from that drive.

Thanks Tompika. I think I might actually send some $$$ DVDInfo's way thru paypal. What a great tool! It should be bundled with all burners, especially these RICOH drives that allow bitsettig.

Man +R(W) is such better technology than -R (allowing bitsetting, mt.rainier support for RW). I am worried that they may go the way of the beta

Hooray! The thread that never ends may be over!
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm glad you could make it

Two things

1. Leave the default booktype settings on ROM.

2. All programs burn the default booktypes except Nero

Nero wants to control it so you still need to check the ROM booktype option box.

Happy burning
    Quote Quote  
  17. I wish there was a little burning program i could use for DVD's instead of NERO.
    Burnatonce is actually EXACTLY what I want, but alas, it only supports the inferior -R(W) drives.

Stomps programs arent too bad I guess.

Good news is I was able to return all the "defective" discs I burned before
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't EVEN get this thread started with another "+ is better than -" war...

I, for one, being a happy -R supporter, am VERY glad I don't have to mess with stuff like "Book Types". Needles to say (a phrase I coined about 18 years ago), BOTH + and - will continue to do well and even co-exist nicely.

I am glad you got your discs working correctly.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  19. Scott

drisley IS a nice guy and nobody was going to start no war.

This site is full of other kinda problems (even -R supporters') and not every single plus burning goes like this

Finally everything is fine now

Regards, tompika
    Quote Quote  
  20. I was just saying booktype setting is a great option.
    It's not a neccessity, but it's a nice feature to make DVD's more compatible with players, and unfortunately, as far as i know, it's not available with DVD-R burners.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I was just saying booktype setting is a great option.
    It's not a neccessity, but it's a nice feature to make DVD's more compatible with players, and unfortunately, as far as i know, it's not available with DVD-R burners.
    I know; that's cool. All I'm saying is: you're looking at it from only 1 perspective. You say "unfortunately", I say "fortunately", because it's not needed for DVD-R burners. Less stuff to have to mess with.

The only reason it's there for DVD+R burners is in a sense as a cheat or kludge, because the original "default" book type doesn't work as well. The fact that this cheat works so well doesn't change that fact.
    If it were a perfect world and DVD+R were on an equal political footing with and had the same "legitimacy" as the DVD-Forum-approved formats, then I would bet that the DVD-Forum would make it their policy to require that DVD players be manufactured to allow all DVD+R/W's be played on them, regardless of "Book type". In fact, then it might make sense to keep the book type in the default, because then the player might be able to better make use of some of the professed "improvements" or special features only available to the "+" family.
    But it's not a perfect world, so I guess book types will have to be changed for some time to come.

I'm sure this may sound as if I'm trying to flame on, but I'm not. I just think you need to be aware of some more background technical information, so you don't inadvertantly diss something else.

Glad that you're burning more successfully,

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "I don't understand why you don't use DVD Decrypter for backing up single layer (or DVDR) movies (ISO image Read-Write) or Nero's disc-to-disc copy?" - Tompika September 22, 2003 20:06.

There it is... you said it.
    Quote Quote  
  23. What I meant was:

DVD Decrypter - Single layer Hollywood DVDs ( or DVD+-R)
    Nero - DVD+-R

I thought everyone knew that Nero wouldn't copy protected anything.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I have read through this topic with great interest as I have recently purchased an Aopen DRW4410 and I have been very impressed with one exception - I have difficulty playing the included DVD+Rw (RICOHJPNW01 2.4x), in my Electrohome 8181A DVD player. My daughter's Norcent DP300 plays the RW and everything else without problems (great unit).

I have tried setting the book type to all the options and have finally settled on tompika's recommendation and set the default to DVD-Rom, although none of the settings appeared to make any difference. I have tried burning with Nero, TMPGenc DVD Author and DVD Decrypter, again all play fine on the Norcent and the Electrohome plays Ricoh DVD+R's just fine; it is just the RW that causes problems and the RW will play about 1 out of every 3 tries; it just has trouble loading and if I eject and reload, eventually it will load and then play properly.

At this point, I can only conclude that the supplied Aopen/Ricoh DVD+RW's are not satisfactory.

andie
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by andie41
    I have tried setting the book type to all the options and have finally settled on tompika's recommendation and set the default to DVD-Rom
    Tried other booktypes such as DVD - R? Sometimes it helps.

Originally Posted by andie41
    At this point, I can only conclude that the supplied Aopen/Ricoh DVD+RW's are not satisfactory.
    Could be...
    Quote Quote  
  26. Yes, I did try -R and -RW - none of the settings appeared to make any difference. No matter what book type, all played with the Norcent and all R's played with the Electrohome, only problem with the RW.

After posting, I tried burning the RW again and this time it takes 10 or 12 tries for the Electrohome to load. I am surprised, because this is the first media CDR/CDRW/DVD that the Electrohome has refused to load. Overall, I have been very satisfied with this player.

Anyway, I guess my next step is to try another DVD+RW.

andie
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by andie41
    Anyway, I guess my next step is to try another DVD+RW
    According to the DVD Player comments 3 guys had success playing DVD+RWs in Electrohome 8181.
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=672&Search=Search&#comments

Just keep pluggin', try different brands, clean the laser, look for a firmware update for the Electrohome...

I myself have great success with
    PHILIPS [PHILIPS010]
    MEMOREX [RICOHJPNW01]
    PACKARD BELL [OPTODISCOP1] (cheapo)
    DVD+RW medias burned on a Ricoh5125

Good luck
    Quote Quote