VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My dad prefers to watch his sony hdtv in the old 4:3 ration. When I come over to watch the tv, I prefer the widescreen view. Because he always has the tv in 4:3 ratio, the lines are burned into the tv when I flip to the widescreen setting. There are visible lines where the 4:3 viewing ends and the widescreen begins. Is there a way to fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In general no but you could try this wiki guide to see if it helps
    Quote Quote  
  3. K, might give that a try. The tv isn't a plasma though, it is an lcd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does this mean your Dad watches widescreen programs squashed up within a 4:3 frame or do you expand 4:3 material out to 16:9 thereby altering the aspect ratio and making everything fat? I can't quite get my head around what is going on?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It means he watches sd programs which don't fill the screen,they have black borders all the time.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So Dad watches 4:3 material in the correct aspect ratio - so I am wondering if the son watches 4:3 squished out to eliminate the black bars that should be there on 4:3 material.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    All common forms of Tv CAN experience static image burn-in, even LCD-based. They, at least, shouldn't be permanent. You can fix or improve the screen using one of 3 image types:

1. Inverse image (in this case, inverse pillarbars) - burns the REMAINDER of the screen
    2. All white image - reburns ALL of the screen equally
    3. A random image (aka "snow" or "off-air static") - EXERCISES dynamically all parts of the screen

How long is necessary? Depends, but could be anywhere between 2 - 10 hours on average. YMMV.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    All common forms of Tv CAN experience static image burn-in, even LCD-based. They, at least, shouldn't be permanent. You can fix or improve the screen using one of 3 image types:

1. Inverse image (in this case, inverse pillarbars) - burns the REMAINDER of the screen
    2. All white image - reburns ALL of the screen equally
    3. A random image (aka "snow" or "off-air static") - EXERCISES dynamically all parts of the screen

How long is necessary? Depends, but could be anywhere between 2 - 10 hours on average. YMMV.

Scott
    K, I will give that a shot. And to answer the other questions. My dad views every channel in 4:3 which results in lines where it cuts off when you watch it in 16:9. He watches everything that way which has lead to the burn in lines. Most tvs give you the option of what ratio you can watch it. I obviously prefer the 16:9 because what is the use of a widescreen tv if you watch it at 4:3
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!