VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    I would like to have the "dvd video" logo on my dvd (amateur film for 100 copies, distributed to people and festivals). But when I enter the dvd logo licensing corporation web page, it seems very complicated, not worth the trouble.
    What are your thoughts about this. Is the logo only for the professionals?
    I am sure people use it anyway, but is that a crime? I don't want to commit a crime

Thanks

Urban
    Quote Quote  
  2. in many European countrys it is a crime. However in Sweden, the punishment is to be given a stiff massage, repeat offenders are sentenced to 3 hours in the sauna.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, my dvd printing company just told me to go ahead and use it, so I will...
    Quote Quote  
  4. they wont serve the time tho
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by dynamique
    Is the logo only for the professionals?
    The purpose of the logo is to inform consumers that the product (hardware or disk) has been manufactured to the exacting specifications of the DVD consortium. It is illegal to use the logo without having a license to do so and without having verified that your product meets specifications. Verification requires that your product is assessed by a testing laboratory.

If you put the DVD logo on your product and one of your customers has problems using it, they could complain to the DVD licensing authority...

I certainly wouldn't do it - especially if you are handing the product out in public venues.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. Is it the same with the Dolby Digital logo?
    Quote Quote  
  7. You have to apply to Dolby for a trademark agreement:

http://www.dolby.com/professional/licensing_trademark/apply_trademark.cfm

http://www.dolby.com/professional/licensing_trademark/usage_artwork.html says:

If you wish to use Dolby trademarks to indicate that any other type of prerecorded content has been created using Dolby technologies, and you are making more than fifty copies of the same DVD, laserdisc, CD, game, or cassette, or are selling the prerecorded content, you will need to apply for a Trademark Agreement.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. You should be able to put a statement likes "Compatible to most DVD player with/without Dolby surround playback" on the DVD label, instead dealing with the licensing issue.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If you want a logo, but are concerened about copyright issues, why not make one of your own ? I've done this for a film I'm currently working on.
    You could use the letters D, V and D, but in a different font and with a different backgound. After all, you'll only be stating fact in that the item is actually a DVD, so no-one can legitimately object to your doing that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by 12Quidkidinnit
    You could use the letters D, V and D, but in a different font and with a different backgound.
    In my unlawyerlike opinion that would probably be grounds for a trademark infringement lawsuit as well.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, something that way at least
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have discus 4 cd printing software installed and this has a whole list of dvd logos under the heading symbols.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Or just use the DVD-R or DVD+R logos. They look almost the same as the DVD-Video logo and your legit as well.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Further to my previous post, it would not be misleading, illegal or be an infringement of a trade mark to have "DVD" printed on a DVD, because it would be a statement of fact. Also, nobody owns the exclusive right to use those particular letters of the alphabet, because if they did, it would make a mockery of the legal systems of many countries. The actual logo which is used on commercial DVDs is trademarked, which is why I suggested using a different layout and font.

Job's a good 'un.
    Quote Quote