VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

In my free time, I spend a huge amount of time synchronizing audio and video from different sources. Usually, I take audio from the VHS or TV in my native language, clear the sound as much as I can (and know), and then synchronize it with a better video source, which usually contains an English soundtrack. Typically, the better source is in 23.976 fps, and the VHS one is 25 fps - so I use the ffmpeg command to lengthen the sound from the inferior source and then use Audacity to clean the sound as much as I can (and know ) and synchronize it to the audio from the better source and, in the end, mux it to a new file.

Most of the time (like 90% of it), I do the above-described process, and voila, job done. But on a rare occasion, I come across a video that has scenes in different fps, and the simple converting just can't work, or in one video, the scene is missing or is not as long as it is in the other - and this is my nightmare. I would like to know which program I can or should use, so I can compare two videos at the same time and adjust audio from the poorer quality video to the other one.

I hope I was clear enough and that there is anyone who can help me with the problem I am having.

By the way, I am synchronizing old cartoons.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Instead to compare the videos, compare the audiostreams in an audio editor, g.e. Audacity.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Instead to compare the videos, compare the audiostreams in an audio editor, g.e. Audacity.
    In my experience comparing video is a much more straightforward and accurate process.

In theory it could be automated, but I don't know of any such program.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Instead to compare the videos, compare the audiostreams in an audio editor, g.e. Audacity.

Thank you for replying. Well, as I said, I am doing exactly what you have suggested 90% of the time (comparing audio streams in Audacity). However, this is not what is bothering me. I can compare audio as long as I can identify the similarities in it. The problem arises when part of the scene is missing, or there are many scenes with different fps. In this case, I would need at least video playback, which Audacity doesn't offer, or even better, a program that could handle two different videos with audio at the same time so I could compare and synchronize them in real-time. I can do it in Audacity, but then I have to export the audio and mux it repeatedly to see if I did it right, and this process takes forever. That's why I am asking here if anyone knows of a program that can handle this, so I can speed up my process.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use a simple Avisynth script. This will enable you to put the two files side by side using stackhorizontal().
    Open the script in vdub2 this will allow you to scrub through the video and see where they lose sync

Search this forum for stackhorizontal, you'll find many examples of this
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Baltyshark87 View Post
    The problem arises when part of the scene is missing, or there are many scenes with different fps.
    Many scenes with different fps do not exist.
    One movie can have a different frame rate than another movie, but the frame rate remains the same throughout the movie.
    The first step must therefore always be to adapt the audio stream to the frame rate of the target film.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Use a simple Avisynth script. This will enable you to put the two files side by side using stackhorizontal().
    Open the script in vdub2 this will allow you to scrub through the video and see where they lose sync

Hello, thank you for your suggestion. I will look into it. But I believe this is only for comparing two videos right? I this case i would still need a separate program for audio editing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Originally Posted by Baltyshark87 View Post
    The problem arises when part of the scene is missing, or there are many scenes with different fps.
    Many scenes with different fps do not exist.
    One movie can have a different frame rate than another movie, but the frame rate remains the same throughout the movie.
    The first step must therefore always be to adapt the audio stream to the frame rate of the target film.
    If that didn't exist, I wouldn't have opened this thread. I know how to adapt the audio stream to the target film, so this is not the subject of the matter.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baltyshark87 View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

Hello, thank you for your suggestion. I will look into it. But I believe this is only for comparing two videos right? I this case i would still need a separate program for audio editing.
    It depends on the specific issue with the audio you're trying to fix.
    Within the Avisynth script it can be manipulated with DelayAudio(), applying to specific video frame ranges,
    to advance or delay the audio.
    Quote Quote