VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Could someone help me select a free Simple Basic Editor videos I've already converted to MP4?

I tried OBS Studio, but, that's way too complicated. Kind of like asking for the time of day and being instructed how to build a clock.

I just need something to review an MP4 video, and cut out some of the bad sections where the video is bad because of lost frames. Ability to brighten the video, or improve its color would be an extra, but, not essential.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to try a relatively simple NLE, with all the transitions, filters and effects, possibly Shotcut, for basic
    editing, Avidemux
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you. I've heard of Shotcut, and that it was an entry level video editor. I think I have Avidemux. I'll have to try both.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In my limited experience with Shotcut that is also rather complicated. More so it is more focused to HD video rather than SD.

I would second avidemux for simple editing. But......

No need to feed an mp4 in to that. Whilst it will work you will be doing a second encode if you use filters. Just import the lossless capture and edit that. Create the mp4 which will then be just one encode.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    apparently most, if not all, video editor software developers are aiming at some or all of the filmmaker community. some of them might well be "easy" to use. but i can envision the potential "market" (interest in) for a very simple editor designed just to work like the typical person thinks about their simple editing needs, without any of the complexities of today's advanced NLE editors. i wonder if any such thing exists. i wonder if anyone has put together a set of needs such a creation should have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Go for it (writing out set of needs)! I am curious about what you think a "typical person" thinks is needed (not being sarcastic or snarkey, but that is just a HUGE variable).

I say, you want simple-simple, grab an old copy of Windows Movie Maker. Can't get much simpler than that. Something tells me that you might have more feature prerequisites in mind, though. First one being MP4 I/O capability, like the OP needs. Maybe MKV? Maybe smart-rendering? Merge/split? Adds up quickly.
    Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a basic need for what you describe and to that end I have been trying to create one. It originally started as a way to cut at frame accuracy and encode only what is needed between key frames. ATM it encodes starts that are not key frames but cuts the end at a point as requested or within 3 frames to ensude no glitches occur if it is merged wih another cut. End encode is still to be written.

as I read more and more requests here for 'Typical' editing needs, the program has grown. It now does almost all needs but is as yet only MP4 videoes and BMP, JPG, PNG images. If you lookt at page 2 below you will see Subtitles, Stack, crop, Pad, stretch to a new resolution, zoom, rotate, and a host of others. I've tried to make it create the video with all the functions done in one pass to eliminate multiple re-encodes.

Page 1 is the basic cut screen. You play the video which displays time and frame number to set cut points. It then sets cut points as near as possible to the requests. These can be adjusted by changing start frame and end frames. Clicking Front checkbox re-encodes that portion. Each segment can be played by right clicking its associated image, Then it creates the segments and checks for audio length mismatch, ending frame with double+ PTS times causing freeze frame if joined to another video,

Page 2 is where all the editing is done. I am terribkle at GUI form layouts, so it is quite busy. I have color coded each area so if you don't need subtitles, don't use that colored area. Separate functions like Transitions and Overlay bring a new form where you set each. Right now the work with either video and/or images.

As i say it is a work in progress that works perfect for me but then I know how to correct if it doesn't, LOL. I test with videos from x-rated sites becuase they are readily available and are the WORST quality you can find. Yes, thats the reason and no I don't have a bridge to sell.

If anyone sees something missing, or have questions about included features or their output, let me know. Ity does hasve a pixel ruler included in tools

[Attachment 61727 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 61728 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 61729 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 61730 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 61731 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by Budman1; 11th Nov 2021 at 01:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like an interesting project, Budman1.

I'll try avidemux, DB88. The way that you describe it, I won't need Handbrake in the loop. That would be fine.

And thanks for setting me straight about Black Adder vs. Mr. Bean. Do you have a collection of "Steptoe and Son" videos. Now, that is also out on YouTube, and about the funniest program I've ever watched.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes, there can be many different kinds of needs. but the "typical" person needs only a few or maybe only one at any one time, stuff experts can do in one click or a few clicks or maybe one big command line. but i would give the typical user that ability in a simple GUI. these would be a few simple programs that each do one thing such as fix something they see wrong in a video. the display would show a reduced size of video with text explaining completely what they are seeing. the first one i would do allows them to splice out the part of the video they want. the feature it can have is the ability to get down to frame-by-frame to let them choose the exact frame to start and to end. for saving, it could re-encode the starting group of pictures if their pick was not an I-frame and save the rest as-is until the last frame.

these would be a few extremely simple programs. then a fewer more combine programs can be made to gradually bring them to a more advanced level. everyone can then stop where they are most comfortable and their needs demand. myself, i have already done limited NLE doing live commercial breaks over the air where i was master control operator at a small broadcast station several years ago.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just checked my results of capturing a tape, that is, digitizing it with virtualdub, and then editing and saving it with avidemux. It produced a very good h.264/mp4 tape. Thanks to everyone here to responded to my question. You've helped me flesh out the process of converting VHS tapes to decent quality .mp4 files. Now I can start throwing away those old bulky tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by mjgreer View Post
    ... Now I can start throwing away those old bulky tapes.
    I would keep these in a safe place. Some time later you may change your opinion about the quality which you achieved today, and you may want to redo the capture and/or the encoding. In such case it is usually best to start with the original tapes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ An alternative approach to Sharc's suggestion is to archive the lossless capture. Assuming, of course, that you have not already binned it.

Any capture is never the end game. Some post-processing, even in avidemux (although avisynth, if you are prepared to learn it, is better) is typical.

Now if you wanted to 'risk it for a biscuit' and get a 2nd opinion you could upload a short sample of the original capture and the same sequence from the final .mp4. Use the A/B markers with 'Copy' for Video and Audio etc.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, there is also very easy app Filmora, but it is paid. I know you prefer free one, but this one is as easy to use as it is possible. It is good for effects and trasitions or simple cutting, but for more pro purposes like audio editing is completely unsuitable.

BTW: thanks for HandBrake and Shotcut, I didn't heard about it, and it looks very pro and it's free! Must check it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi there,

For a simple and free video editor to review and trim your MP4 videos, I recommend trying out Shotcut. It's user-friendly and allows you to easily cut out unwanted sections. While it also offers basic color correction features, you can focus on just trimming the bad sections if that's your main requirement.

Give it a try and feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.
    Quote Quote  
  15. It sounds like you've already tried OBS Studio but found it too complicated, which I totally understand. You shouldn't have to go through the hassle of building a clock just to find out the time of day!

For a simple and basic video editing tool, I recommend checking out Free MP4 Editor. It should suit your needs perfectly. With this software, you can easily review your MP4 videos and cut out the sections where the frames are lost or of poor quality. While it's primarily designed for cutting, it also offers options to adjust brightness and enhance colors if you want to spruce up your videos a bit.
    Last edited by Smitheemma; 28th Jun 2023 at 05:59.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Certainly! When it comes to a simple and free video editor for reviewing and trimming MP4 videos, I'd suggest giving Shotcut a shot. It's user-friendly and allows you to easily remove any unwanted sections from your videos. Whether you want to simply trim out the bad parts or even apply basic color corrections, Shotcut has got you covered.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    animotica or bandicam. May have watermark tho
    Quote Quote