VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if something is recorded in hd but the resolution is only 512 by 288 if i uncompress the avi would that give me its possible original resolution, bottom line is can compressing a file reduce the resolution
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it is recorded in HD, the resolution should be higher than 512x288. That sounds like a SD broadcast on an HD channel.

I also don't know of any hardware that "records" HD in avi format.

What is the source and type of the files in question and what are you trying to do with them?
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Typical broadcast HD is either 1280x720 progressive or 1920x1080 interlace.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by adriac25
    if something is recorded in hd but the resolution is only 512 by 288 if i uncompress the avi would that give me its possible original resolution, bottom line is can compressing a file reduce the resolution
    "Compressing" video has to do with lowering the bitrate (for storage or transmission efficiencies), it has NOTHING to do with raising or lowering its pixel resolution (or color bitdepth or framerate). Often, because a certain type of compression ONLY works with certain bitdepths, or with certain choices of resolution, people equate the compression as the active force in the change of resolution, but that's actually done in "pre-processing", which may or may not be integral to the encoder.

So the short answer is:

No, you WON'T get back whatever the original resolution was, whether you uncompress it or not (of course, we all know it has to get uncompressed for display anyway).
    Resizing won't get it back its original resolution either--it'll be an upsized, blurrier ESTIMATE.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well you see i downloaded the video for "backup purposes" the quality is amazing and looks hd and it is said to be shot in hd only but the problem is the resolution, also if uncompressing cannot do it then couldnt a program like transition hd or tmpgenc 4.0 solve the problem by increasing the resolution, i hear those programs can do it without losing any picture quality
    Quote Quote  
  6. Take a 1280x720 HD still frame. Reduce the frame size to 1x1 pixel. Now enlarge that small image back up to 1280x720. What will it look like? Will it look as good as the 1280x720 original?

Or let's try it this way: I have two numbers. I'm going use my advanced number resolution reduction process to reduce them to one number. The result is 97. What were the original two numbers?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What he said was (to paraphrase),"You cannot re-encode to increase resolution and get better quality." It's lost, gone, never to be recovered.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And from your description, you are downloading files that were recorded in HD and then reduced in resolution. This is done to make them compatible and follow the "standard" for video releases. Unless you are using an HTPC, you wouldn't be able to play them back in HD resolution anyway.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    He has a low resolution video that may once have been high resolution.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Take a 1280x720 HD still frame. Reduce the frame size to 1x1 pixel. Now enlarge that small image back up to 1280x720. What will it look like? Will it look as good as the 1280x720 original?

Or let's try it this way: I have two numbers. I'm going use my advanced number resolution reduction process to reduce them to one number. The result is 97. What were the original two numbers?
    If you need it for backup purposes then back up from your original.
    Quote Quote