VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by cherub
    I thought I had it there for about a minute. The machine when through all the motions of burning the MY-DVD file. A MY_DVD.dmg appeared on the desktop. The files took a half hour to burn, whiring away and then it spit out the disc.

Off to the living room and the AIWA DVD player that's attached to the TV and.......nothing. Either disc error or once it just kept spinning endlessly. Back to the computer where every time I put it in it opens disc burn which is the default for putting a blank DVD disc.
    Which method did you use to do the (partial/imagined) burn?

It sounds to me like you might have burned a coaster

Keep trying ... I know I got upset because my first 3 burns were coasters but I just had to keep going until I got the method right.

Don't suspect the PowerBook's SuperDrive is at fault just yet (I sure hope it isn't - my new PowerBook 17" arrives in about a week).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Don't suspect the PowerBook's SuperDrive is at fault just yet (I sure hope it isn't - my new PowerBook 17" arrives in about a week).
    [/quote]

Good. When it arrives, let us know. There are so many links in this chain that I find it impossible to discover where it goes wrong. It only takes one check mark, there or not, quality of blanks, labels on files......etc, etc. to throw everything into the garbage. I don't know where to start to figure out where the error is because the entire process APPEARS to be bobbing along just fine. It looks like everyting is working.........but a blank disc is what gets spit out in the end.

Maddening. I just wish I knew which link was at fault. I don't even know where to go to work to solve the puzzle.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Another coaster. Maybe someone can figure out where I'm screwing up.

1. copy movie to harddrive with DVDBackup 1.3
    2. stip files with dvd2onex (movie only)
    3. make more files with MissingMediaBurner
    4. burn disk with Mac Powerbook Disk Copy

Resulting coaster stops just before the finish of the burn with "Image operation failed with error 13 (Permission denied)

Isn't this what I paid $50 to eleminate???????

coaster spins endlessly in living room DVD player and finally comes up with "check region code"

Isn't this what dvd2onex was suppost to eleminate?????

Am I suppose to process the files within my region? (Duh, what is it in North American)? Do you not use the region free setting?

Also, I end up with a locked TITLE_OF_MOVIE_DVD.img......a MY_DVD.....a MY_DVD.dmg all on my desktop. Which one am I suppose to drop into Disc Copy? I tried dmg last time, but as you can see, that didn't work.

Anyone have any clues for me? I'm all set to try for another coaster if I can figure out what to change.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use Roxio's Toast Titanium to do the burning "VIDEO_TS".
    For me, no coasters.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by cherub
    Another coaster. Maybe someone can figure out where I'm screwing up.

1. copy movie to harddrive with DVDBackup 1.3
    Did you check off all the boxes to de-Macrovision it, de-CSS it, and make it Region-Free? (In DVD Backup 1.3, that is)
    2. stip files with dvd2onex (movie only)
    ("stip"?) Try doing "whole disc" rather than "movie only".
    3. make more files with MissingMediaBurner
    "make more files"? What files? DVD2OneX should have made everything you need (save the empty AUDIO_TS folder). Or were you referring to the ISO disc image file?
    4. burn disk with Mac PowerBook Disk Copy
    Try using "Burn" from the Finder window first.
    Resulting coaster stops just before the finish of the burn with "Image operation failed with error 13 (Permission denied)"

Isn't this what I paid $50 to eliminate???????
    You paid $50 (for DVD2OneX, I assume) to create a single DVD-R disc sized VIDEO_TS folder tree. Run Disk Utility and have it do the Permissions correction. Maybe the "staging area" where the image to be burned onto disc is held (temporary storage) has the wrong permissions on it (and thus you get error 13).
    Coaster spins endlessly in living room DVD player and finally comes up with "check region code"
    Did you check the output of DVD2OneX with the Apple DVD Player app first, before burning?
    Isn't this what dvd2onex was suppost to eliminate?????
    No, DVD Backup 1.3 is what strips out the Region coding.
    Am I suppose to process the files within my region? (Duh, what is it in North American)? Do you not use the region free setting?
    I always use region-free backups, but I'm not sure if that's necessary.
    Also, I end up with a locked TITLE_OF_MOVIE_DVD.img......a MY_DVD.....a MY_DVD.dmg all on my desktop. Which one am I suppose to drop into Disc Copy? I tried dmg last time, but as you can see, that didn't work.
    I'm not sure how you ended up with both a .dmg and a .img file?!? There should only be one ... MissingMediaBurner creates .img files, I think.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you.
    Tomorrow, I start all over again from scratch.

There's a catch somewhere and with your help I'll find the little sucker!

You all are so patient. I can't help but notice that this thread is sort of dead for days accept for my plantive crys for help. I must be the only seeker who still missing the grail.
    Quote Quote  
  7. javascript:emoticon('') I GOT ONE! I GOT ONE!
    I trashed everything but the 3 big tools and started over. This time I could tell I had something different going on because it took an hour and half to burn and verify, whatever that is. I raced to the living room, dropped it into the player and VIOLA! The screen came alive, the heavens opened and the angels sang overhead in my living room. IT REALLY WORKS!

I couldn't do a whole disc copy, nor could I burn directly from the finder. I didn't re-name or lock the precious .img file. I wasn't going to mess around with it. I just put it and the empty audio folder into it's own folder and had disc copy mount and burn it. Little things can be ironed out later. The main thing was..........IT WORKED!

I would never in a million years been able to get all of this together without this forum. I am one happy lady.

You guys are the greatedst! MWAH! javascript:emoticon('')
    Quote Quote  
  8. Working on my second Backup, here, and already I have technical questions.

DVDbackup 1.3 says: "failure to decrypt video title Set 2" Also happened with set 7. What does this mean? What has failed to decrpt?

I continued with the processing anyway, to see what I could get.

Later, while my Disk Copy attempted to burn this disc it reached the end of the burn and I was told that it had failed to burn. "A target device error error occurred."

Does anyone know what these messages mean, and what possible steps I should take to overcome them?
    Quote Quote  
  9. OK, since everyone else seems to have fled this forum, will add an addendum to my last post.

while the Title 1, 21 Chapter, 1:35:19 did not burn.....
    the Title 2, 61 Chaper, 1:35:29 (what I think is the director's cut) DID BURN.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am one of those people who fled this topic (essentially when things start making multiple pages, I get tired of them).

What you should do BEFORE doing anything in DVDBackup is to play your DVD in DVD Player. Make sure you start the main movie and skip through all the chapters. If you want extras, do the same thing for all of the extras. Then stop DVD Player, and then let DVD Backup do its work.

Often, different title sets have different keys. If you didn't let DVD Player start up long enough for the OS to have access to all of the keys on the DVD, DVDBackup won't have access to them and will fail.

It takes 2 or 3 more minutes to do this, but it will save you a headache or two down the road.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thank you so much. This is valuable information. I'm discovering that there are a lot of little things that make the difference between a smooth sail and a choppy experience.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by AntnyMD
    What you should do BEFORE doing anything in DVDBackup is to play your DVD in DVD Player. Make sure you start the main movie and skip through all the chapters. If you want extras, do the same thing for all of the extras. Then stop DVD Player, and then let DVD Backup do its work.

Often, different title sets have different keys. If you didn't let DVD Player start up long enough for the OS to have access to all of the keys on the DVD, DVDBackup won't have access to them and will fail.
    I knew about the trick of playing the DVD for a bit in DVD Player, but this is the first time I've heard about ensuring that DVD Player has been exposed to all chapters and sections of the disc. Don't hold me up as any sort of expert, however.

Even if it's just "urban rumor", unless the disk is complicated, running through all the chapters and sections should, as you say, take but a minute or two.

Out of curiousity, are there any particular DVDs with which you have experienced problems that were solved by this complete run-through procedure?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All Warner DVDs done for HBO; everything Disney.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by AntnyMD
    All Warner DVDs done for HBO; everything Disney.
    Yup! It was a Disney movie that was giving me the trouble.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!