VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, dear all.

Does it possible to create Closed Captions ( those ones that can be read / ripped by CCExtractor or similar softwares ) from regular dvd's?

---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_captioning

I have some dvd's that have subtitles inside them. But some of them are particularly hard to OCR. Too many manual corrections needed.

If I could use that "normal" subtitles already inside the dvd's to create Closed Captions maybe I could use CCExtractor without the need to OCR the text.

Does it possible? Does exist any program that can do it?

Thanks for your tips.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    Hello, dear all.

Does it possible to create Closed Captions ( those ones that can be read / ripped by CCExtractor or similar softwares ) from regular dvd's?

---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_captioning

I have some dvd's that have subtitles inside them. But some of them are particularly hard to OCR. Too many manual corrections needed.

If I could use that "normal" subtitles already inside the dvd's to create Closed Captions maybe I could use CCExtractor without the need to OCR the text.

Does it possible? Does exist any program that can do it?

Thanks for your tips.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Your idea won't work. You would still need to OCR the standard DVD subtitles first to create N. American closed captions or DVB Teletext subtitles or any other form of subtitling that uses coded text. Other forms of TV subtitling use bit-mapped/graphical subtitles which would also require the use of OCR to obtain text.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. @ usually_quiet

You would still need to OCR the standard DVD subtitles first
    Thanks for the tips.

And in the situations that DVD has already native closed captions inside them, are there any way to reencode such dvd ( like using DVD Shrink, DVD2one, DVD Rebuilder or similar ones ) and keep / maintains the closed captions also, in a new "smaller" dvd structure? If it's possible, do you point any program / method to do it properly?

Example: Closed Captions disappear when transcoding/reencoding

---> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/1778

---> https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/35196-How-do-you-preserve-CLOSED-CAPTIONING-after-conversion

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 19th Sep 2018 at 17:20.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why OCR at all? Can't you use the VobSubs? And have you tried any of the automatic OCRs?
    Last edited by manono; 20th Sep 2018 at 13:44.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And in the situations that DVD has already native closed captions inside them, are there any way to reencode such dvd ( like using DVD Shrink, DVD2one, DVD Rebuilder or similar ones ) and keep / maintains the closed captions also, in a new "smaller" dvd structure? If it's possible, do you point any program / method to do it properly?
    VideoReDo TV Suite is the only program that I know about which is able to re-encode MPEG-2 video files with a lower bitrate for a smaller file size and yet retain North American closed captions. I tried using VideoReDo TV Suite to re-encode an mpg file that I extracted from a DVD to be sure it works as advertised. However VideoReDo TV Suite doesn't allow the user to keep the menus and functionality of the original DVD like DVD Shrink, DVD2one, or DVD Rebuilder, and it is not free or very inexpensive.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Sep 2018 at 01:30.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi, dear all.

@ manono

Why OCR a6t all? Can't you use the VobSubs? And have you tried any of the automatic OCRs?
    I want to get srt subs. Not vobsub ( image subs ). The subtitle is written in german.

I tried to use Tesseract from Subtitle Edit to OCR automatically. But does not work. So, I did manually to succeed.

I could rip the subs after a very long time for OCR, but despite of that, I got many typing errors. I must to correct them manually.

When I tried to use other programs, like SubExtractor or SubRip, OCR was very bad. Only Subtitle Edit could do it almost "properly". But not using Tesseract. Only manual job.

For some dvd's, I don't know why, some subtitles are very problematic for OCR. Even vobsubs or native subtitles from such dvd's.

Do you point any other automatic OCRs in addition of the programs I mentioned here?

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 20th Sep 2018 at 13:14.
    Quote Quote  
  7. @ usually_quiet

Hi. Which version of VideoReDo do you use?

VideoReDo TVSuite Version can deal about most "usual" video / editing needs?

Or for advanced work VideoReDo Professional is crucial to buy?

---> https://www.videoredo.com/en/CompareProducts.htm

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  8. DVDSubEdit can perform an automatic OCR to SRT. I don't know if it's any better than the ones you tried. Perhaps someone that does this sort of thing regularly will make a suggestion, but I hope you now realize that CCs aren't the workaround for your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  9. @ manono

CCs aren't the workaround for your problem

Hi. As OCR subtitles in some dvd's are problematic for some reason, my idea was to transform "normal" subtitles into CC ( if that were even possible ).

And after that use CCExtractor to get the CC / subtitles trying to avoid any OCR and get them without any errors.

But @ usually_quiet said this does not work. That OCR is necessary to make it work.

DVDSubEdit can OCR too. Very quickly. And it is a very nice program to work.

But after OCR I still get a lot of typing errors. So, I need to fix it manually yet.

Do you point any other automatic OCRs in addition of the programs I mentioned here?

I heard about ABBYY FineReader for OCR. But it's not free.

And I do not know how to use it to OCR subtitles into txt. And not only OCR the words, but to get the timings speeches too, like we have in srt files.

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ usually_quiet

Hi. Which version of VideoReDo do you use?

VideoReDo TVSuite Version can deal about most "usual" video / editing needs?

Or for advanced work VideoReDo Professional is crucial to buy?

---> https://www.videoredo.com/en/CompareProducts.htm

Thanks.

Best regards.

devil (johner)
    I have VideoReDo TV Suite V5.3.83.770 - Aug 2 18 This version contains the most recent patches. It is good enough if all you need to do is basic editing on MPEG-2 and H.264 A/V streams from DVD, Blu-ray, TV Tuner cards and video capture devices. It can do DVD authoring too, but I use other software for that.

VideoReDo Professional seems to be intended mainly for use by people who want to prepare content for ATSC broadcasts. I haven't tried it.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Sep 2018 at 14:23.
    Quote Quote