VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok so I have a theater (typing this on a 12' wide screen) and we love to watch movies down here. Problem is my PJ is a "budget model" and can't shift the image to where I need it to be.

ok so example right now I am looking at a screen roughly 140"x80". The back row in my theater cant see the bottom 20" or so. So when we are watching a movie, I tilt the PJ up and use keystone to get the image straight at the top of the screen. but thats a pain and keystone is not a good solve for this.

the real answer is for me to spend real money on a better PJ but I like money so the other answer is to play all my movies at the top of my screen.

hence i came up with the idea to remove the black bars and stack them at the bottom of the movie, creating a 16:9 image where the image is at the top and the black is at the bottom. I can mask the bottom of my screen so that the black bars essentially become invisible.

i have been using makemkv to rip all my movies - i have roughly 60.

what i can't figure out now is how to get from a disc to the target or from my existing rips to the target.

I have found a couple solves (Handbrake CLI) but they all compress the hell out of the rip and I really want it to be a straight rip with no compression. Also handbrake took 9+ hours to encode a 2.5 hour movie - eek.

ok your turn! help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Encoding speed in Handbrake to either AVC or HEVC depends on the resolution of the video, the options chosen
    for the encoder and your PC (mainly the CPU). Perhaps try one of the faster presets.

The cropping / pad is trivial - easily done in Handbrake GUI, Vidcoder, Avidemux, etc,etc
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by davexnet; 30th May 2018 at 21:27.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Encoding speed in Handbrake to either AVC or HEVC depends on the resolution of the video, the options chosen
    for the encoder and your PC (mainly the CPU). Perhaps try one of the faster presets.

The cropping / pad is trivial - easily done in Handbrake GUI, Vidcoder, Avidemux, etc,etc
    I sort of thought that too but what I can't find is a program that doesn't change the source file. Handbrake will compress the file. Can you help me understand how I would do that while maintaining the same video and audio compression settings that are on the disc?

Also I don't see the pad option in Handbrake GUI
    Last edited by jcwillia1; 31st May 2018 at 04:10.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You cannot crop/pad without decompressing the source, making the changes, then recompressing. Well, you could leave it uncompressed or losslessly compressed but the resulting file will be an order of magnitude larger.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so it seems like handbrake CLI is the easiest option.
    Quote Quote