VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys! Having a little problem with logging on to my XP latop.

When the system is turned on it loads the user log on page then a 'Window Product Activation' windows pops up saying, 'This copy of windows must be activated with MS bofore you can log on. Do you want to activate now? Yay or Nay?!

If you press no it says its logging off and goes back to the log on screen

But if i press yes it comes up with the Activate windows sceen saying that windows is already activated. CLick ok to exit.

So i click ok and it says logging off and goes back to the log on screen, it keeps doing the same whatever option you choose!

I tried restart in safe mode and I can access the desktop fine, I also tried last good know config but with no joy. I also tried windows restore but again no joy!

Any ideas what could be causing this and how i could fix it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've never seen it before but a quick google search for windows activation loop gave these links

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1004125

looks like a regedit should fix it.

here is another possible fix requiring the registering of some dll's
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/103412-45-windows-activation-loop
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I have tried what freebird suggested, the 2nd link I had no luck, however the 1st link did work, it has taken me to the stage where it is now asking for the product key to be entered! The only problem is I dont have the key any more and the laptop originally had Vista installed on it!

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I do have a copy of XP pro, is there anyway I can upgrade without deleting any data?

PS Hope you all had a merry xmas!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have not sent the installed os out to lunch permanent via reformatting then follow this link ... instructions are all there ... you should be able to recover the install key for the os version installed and continue.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bjs I also tried your link and it was succsessful as far as retreving the registration code but when I entered it into th product registration page I was told that it is and incorrect code!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    UPDATE!

I managed to back up all the data on the drive using UBCD and install a copy of Windows XP pro.

Now everything seems to be fine apart from one thing, when the system is turned on I am asked which OS I would like to boot. I have 3 options:

(1) Windows XP Pro
    (2) Windows XP Pro
    and (3) Windows XP Pro

Now if I select option 1 the system boots fine no problems! However if I choose 2 or 3 the system tries to go through the set up process for XP Pro.

Is there anything I can do to remove the 2 options that try and set up?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can edit the boot.ini to remove the other boot options. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks redwudz but im not sure which to delete

Here is what is in the notepad file:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S.0
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS.0="Mic rosoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Mic rosoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    Quote Quote  
  9. The ones with (2) in it, also change partition to (1).
    It should look like this:

[boot loader]
    timeout=3
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S.0
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Mic rosoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm that didnt work!

Now all i get is:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll
    Please reinstall a copy of the above file

Now i cant even load windows!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Sorry to hear that Squid, can you connect the HDD to another PC to copy the hal.dll file?
    If you can connect to another PC also run "sfc /scannow", it will check for other missing files.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I managed to use UBCD (again) to change the boot.ini file back to what it previously was.

I deleted the partitions that said 2 in them and now when it boot is comes up with Windows XP Pro and Windows (default). I now have to select windows default to access the desktop however if i choose XP Pro I get the error above about the corrupt of missing file
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    edit your boot ini like this

[boot loader]
    timeout=3
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S.0
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS.0="Mic rosoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I take it all that should do is lower the time you have to select an OS?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The system cannot find hal.dll because it as far as the registry is concerned ... hal.dll should be in windows/system32 ... not "windows.0/system32" ... hence the error ... notice the small difference

It might be possible to simply boot back into ubcd and rename that "windows.0" to windows and make sure this is reflected in the boot.ini ... Ive done this to fix a few systems messed up by clients reloading from restore disc's

In the event it dose not work simply revert the changes
    Quote Quote  
  16. Go back to your original BOOT.INI. Change the names of the three selections:

Code:
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 1" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    Try booting each and see which is the "right" one. Go back and delete the others.

By the way, isn't it nice that Microsoft can shut your computer down whenever they feel like it?
    Quote Quote