VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How can I convert the raw data on a Panasonic DVDCamcorder into a usable format that I can drop into my Pinnacle Studio HD software.

I know I can live stream it but I have to sit through 5 hours worth of disc footage, before I even start to play around with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if it's on a cam dvdr, finalize it, put it in you computer drive and see if your editing software can import it.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry should've mentioned that they are DVD-RAM. Also I have copied each disc's folder to my computer.

They all have folders named DCIM, DVD_RTAV and RTR_EXTN

From what I can see only DVD_RTAV seems to contain any viable movie data, and the files are named VR_MANGR.BUP VR_MANGR.IFO and VR_MOVIE.VRO

The last one must be the footage, but I can't get it imported into the software. Is there any conversion software freely available that will handle .VRO files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    .VRO conversion: AVS Video Converter (not free). Frankly I don't like this software; every feature requires another feature that costs more $$. But many use it.

VRO import/convert/frame-level edit: TMPGenc MPEG Editor v3. Not free. Worth it.

DGIndex (part of DGMPGDec package), requires Avisynth. Reads VRO. VOB, M2V, etc., etc., makes an index used by other apps like Avisynth for various conversions (usually to AVI for edit/processing/re-encode, etc.). Don't leave home without it.

There are probably others. I edited my DVd-RAM recordings with TMPGEnc.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 23rd Mar 2014 at 07:42.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Greetings, I suppose I could not have been more lucky in already having the AVS software bundle on my PC. I just today made effort and time to start un-caseing my DVD-RAM disc (type 2) and run them in my DVD drive on my PC. The first thing I tried after inserting the disc, (with latest updated Windows XP) was a right click with the mouse on the the DVD-RAM icon showing in the My Computer pace. I then copy and pasted it into a empty file on my desk top. This worked immediately and without flaw in extracting all the data from that side of the disc. Just out of random attempt I opened the new folder and then clicked opened the "DVD_RTAV" file and there I found the disc file labeled as VR_MOVIE.VRO. I right clicked and selected the "open with" option to see what software might offer to open it. Nothing came up, but in the previous menu there was the usuall "AVS convert to" option which I used. The basic AVS Video Converter (version 8.2) is working quite well with converting and reading the VRO format and thus far without any issues.

Should you already have pro grade editing software on your pc and are only limited by the VRO format, the basic AVS-Video-Converter might be all you need to convert them to a workable format. (Only if it turns out to be the best option you can find that isn't free.) I was fortunate in catching the promotional package three years ago and got the full bundle with unlimited updates for $49.00. It's not grand in every facet and not everything in the package is worth downloading ( the registry cleaner, fire wall, etc.) but the video and audio editing software is quite convenient for on the quick basics. I've notice the software continually improves with updates but it's nothing near what you get from the Big 3. I wasn't expecting such for $50 anyhow, but it's been worth every penny thus far. Just adding should it be of any help.
    Last edited by fredonian; 28th Jul 2012 at 16:51.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the heads up fredonian

I happened to stumple upon the unacvtivated version so I can try all it's options.

I also tried removing the disc from it's holder and using it directly in the tray, which surprisingly it was able to be read. The only problem is that my drive is vertically mounted and doesn't have any support for the 8cm discs Which means it's a gamble everytime a disc is loaded whether it gets rejected or not, which is cause for more potential damage to the disc.

But I shall persevere.
    Last edited by Mount1003; 31st Jul 2012 at 15:56.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Panasonic used to include software with their DVD cameras for exporting files from DVD-RAM discs. It might be worth looking at the accessories that came with the camera to see if you can find it. If you can't find it, or it is incompatible with your operating system, Cyberlink PowerDirector is good at copying recordings from DVD-RAM. It worked for me in a situation where other programs (some of which were mentioned in this thread) that had worked for me in the past failed.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Panasonic used to include software with their DVD cameras for exporting files from DVD-RAM discs. It might be worth looking at the accessories that came with the camera to see if you can find it. If you can't find it, or it is incompatible with your operating system, Cyberlink PowerDirector is good at copying recordings from DVD-RAM. It worked for me in a situation where other programs (some of which were mentioned in this thread) that had worked for me in the past failed.
    My first objective is to get a driver which is Windows 7 compatible. As mentioned earlier, connecting to the PC with the supplied USB cable always fails with Windows is unable to install software for this device.

The supplied CD-Rom contained USB and DVD-RAM drivers plus two bits of software. DVD Movie Album and Sonic MyDVD4.0, none of which is willing to work on a Win 7 system
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mount1003 View Post
    My first objective is to get a driver which is Windows 7 compatible. As mentioned earlier, connecting to the PC with the supplied USB cable always fails with Windows is unable to install software for this device.

The supplied CD-Rom contained USB and DVD-RAM drivers plus two bits of software. DVD Movie Album and Sonic MyDVD4.0, none of which is willing to work on a Win 7 system
    Rolling eyes (sarcasm) seems uncalled for considering that you did not in fact mention any of that earlier in this thread and your Video Help computer details still say "XP Pentium 2.6GB".

However knowing that some people never bother to update their profile, I did give you an alternative, Cyberlink PowerDirector, that worked well for me with a problematic VRO file and is Windows-7 compatible, although it does require the disc to be read using the computer drive.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry my friend, but the rolling eyes was directed at the software not any individuals post.

I have also been posting in another forum and assumed I had mentioned certain important details earlier, for which I apologise.

Will update profile soonish

edit Sorted
    Quote Quote