VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Good morning. I post my question in this forum because I read that there are several experienced technicians. I request help with the following problem. I have an ADVC100 canopus. Yesterday I made a silly mistake, connect the canopus to the port of the PC while it is on. The canopus turns on but is not detected by any PC. Did someone happen this issue and could they solve it? As I observe in the circuit there are resistances in the tracks of the fire wire input, it may be that some simple element has burned or it usually happens that some IC burns out. Any suggestion is welcome. If the electronic circuit or diagram could be obtained it might be easier to try to repair it. There are good electronic engineers in Argentina. Thanks in advance and let's keep taking care of ourselves
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Canoipus-1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	58961  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Canopus2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	58962  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Since Firewire (IEEE1394) includes a built-in amount of power there is always the possibility of frying either the source or receptor ("sink") port if the devices are connected while turned on. That is why it is explicitly stated in the owner manuals to not do that.
    Who knows if it is fried now or not. Best you can do is try to troubleshoot using known-good devices (both source and sink separately) as replacements to see where the offending/incapacitated device now lies. (Make sure you don't repeat the same mistake while troubleshooting!)
    ...Or it could be something else altogether.
    Hopefully there is a schematic of this device (and the computer) out in the wild of the Internet. If it isn't obvious, or discoverable via the compare-to-reference troubleshoot method above, I suggest taking them to such an Electronics repair shop.

Sorry couldn't help you further.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your input. First of all, made the following test.
    1-Tested power suply. 5 Volts is OK
    2-Test firewire input PC using camera: OK
    3-Connect micro firewire from camera to micro firewire Canopus (in front) and video ouput to monitor. No video
    4-Connect micro firewire from camera to 6 pin firewire Canopus (at rear) and video ouput to monitor. No video
    5-Connect composite video from camera to video input Canopus (in front) and video ouput to monitor. No video
    6- The 2 blue led in front ara always on. Do not work if click key for change from analog to digital.
    I think do all the test can I do
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sounds dead to me. but, firewire devices are all "hot-swappable" and plugging in a device that's on has never been "proven" to have caused any problems. unsupported rumors otherwise, yes they exist.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    unsupported rumors otherwise, yes they exist.
    I've heard of HV20s being fried by plugging in to a computer port with it on. A few threads on the net about it. Never had any trouble with my ADVC-100 though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    unsupported rumors otherwise, yes they exist.
    I've heard of HV20s being fried by plugging in to a computer port with it on. A few threads on the net about it. Never had any trouble with my ADVC-100 though.
    Witches do not exist, but there are, there are. Same with firewire connectors. Some equipments burn out and some don't
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    As far as I know 4pin firewire should be okay and can be hot swapped. But if your port on the computer is a 6pin and carries power chances are you fried the device, Sparks from the connection can amount to 100's of volts in a micro second enough to kill a chip. My laptop has a 4 pin firewire and I always hot swap devices no problem what so ever for over 15 years now.
    Quote Quote