VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am really stuck and was hoping you guys could help. I have a bunch of family videos in High8 and Digital Hi8 tapes I need to get on my computer to edit and back up. I also have a rare Cartoon of Bugs Bunny on Laser Disc that I would like to back up.

I have three camcorders

1) Sony Handycam Digital 8 Camera Recorder Model DCR-TVR310 8mm Tape Camcorder
    2) SONY-360X-Digital-Zoom-Video-8XR-Hi-8-Handycam-Camcorder-CCD-TRV87
    3) Sony HDR-CX550V 64GB High Definition Handycam Camcorder.

Is there a way to record from the either of the first two camcorders onto the 3rd one? Then I could simply transfer from the camera to the computer via USB, I know it sounds too easy.

I was hoping to use the CX550 and transfer from the 550 to the computer, is this possible, there are no inputs on the CX550

My computer does not have firewire but will get a card if it will help.

Update, I ordered a HD PVR 1212 and all the reviews on this say it wont work on Hi8, This sucks because I done all this before with Dazzle and my Hard drive became corrupt before I could back everything up.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You're best bet is to get a $25 firewire card and use that for the D8 tapes. Use the D8 camcorder passthrough to "capture" your Hi8 tapes and laserdisc (and any other standard definition video sources).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you, I just ordered a StarTech.com 4 port PCI 1394a FireWire Adapter Card.
    Not sure how to do the pass through on the video cameras.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The TRV310 doesn't support AV passthrough (along with the rest of the first-gen D8 models, I believe).

It can digitize Hi8 tapes out to Firewire directly. But for external signals, you have to add in the extra step of recording to D8 tape before transferring via Firewire.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    The TRV310 doesn't support AV passthrough (along with the rest of the first-gen D8 models, I believe).

But for external signals, you have to add in the extra step of recording to D8 tape before transferring via Firewire.
    I'm sorry but I don't understand about the external signals are you referring to the Laser Disc? If so can I use the HD PVR 1212 for that?
    If I get the firewire card installed will I be able to transfer the Hi8 (analog) and Digital Hi8 using the 310? the player should play both tapes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Technically you can use the HD PVR for all of these sources, but the quality will be worse and it may require purchasing a cable.

External signals = LaserDisc yes, and anything else you might feed in via composite or S-Video.

Yes to the final question. The quality of Hi8 playback in the Digital8 camcorder may arguably be worse than using the Hi8 cam, but maybe not. And I suspect you wouldn't care about the difference either way.
    Quote Quote