VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Novice
    Search Comp PM
    It's been almost five years since I started on my VHS capture journey. My Hi8 tapes date from 1998-2008 and some non-serious recordings were made a few years afterwards. I got an ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB, setup VirtualDub on my Asus Windows 7 laptop, and was ready to go. However, I wasn't getting the right results due to my Sony Handycam CCD-TRV45E or tapes recording in PAL by default (my dad got it in Malaysia or Australia while on a trip. We live in the U.S.), so not long after I started, I gave up, and found a stable use for my card as a TV tuner instead. I had school to worry about and I've had several major ups and downs in life a long the way, but I feel like I'm finally starting to get back to my old self and hobbies again.

Since then, I have gotten a MacBook Pro 2015, 500GB, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB. I have yet to install Bootcamp on my MacBook and for my model you have to do a workaround to get Windows 7 on it because it only officially supports Windows 8 and 10. Since Macs are known for video editing, is there a way to use my ATI TV Wonder in macOS? If not, what is the best capture card and software combo? I have a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter and cable as well, which I used last year to transfer some MiniDV tapes with iMovie (I didn't like the low frame rate though, so I'm probably going to give it another try).

After I'm done with the Hi8 tapes, I would also like to capture some rare commercial and homemade VHS tapes I have as well. I have a homemade PAL VHS that could only play in my Sony VCR that supported it, but the VCR doesn't work anymore. I suppose the internals need to be cleaned or are worn out. There are also a few TV recordings I found as well. As for commercial tapes, I have a NTSC tape of a foreign cartoon with a rare U.S. English cut and dub that's not online anywhere. The DVD version is laughable in comparison. It is the original cut with a non-native speaker dubbing it. There's also this rare educational Math Blaster VHS from the 80s that I got used at the library over ten years ago. Someone captured it and put it on YouTube, but I would like to see if my tape is in better condition.

TL;DR: Tried to capture Hi8 tapes five years ago with VirtualDub on Windows 7, gave up after not getting desired results, and life got in the way. Back again with a MacBook Pro 2015 with Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter and cable. Wondering if I can use the ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB or if there is a better way on macOS for Hi8, homemade VHS, and commercial VHS.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Duder_Me View Post
    It's been almost five years since I started on my VHS capture journey. My Hi8 tapes date from 1998-2008 and some non-serious recordings were made a few years afterwards. I got an ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB, setup VirtualDub on my Asus Windows 7 laptop, and was ready to go. However, I wasn't getting the right results due to my Sony Handycam CCD-TRV45E or tapes recording in PAL by default (my dad got it in Malaysia or Australia while on a trip. We live in the U.S.), so not long after I started, I gave up, and found a stable use for my card as a TV tuner instead. I had school to worry about and I've had several major ups and downs in life a long the way, but I feel like I'm finally starting to get back to my old self and hobbies again.

Since then, I have gotten a MacBook Pro 2015, 500GB, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB. I have yet to install Bootcamp on my MacBook and for my model you have to do a workaround to get Windows 7 on it because it only officially supports Windows 8 and 10. Since Macs are known for video editing, is there a way to use my ATI TV Wonder in macOS? If not, what is the best capture card and software combo? I have a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter and cable as well, which I used last year to transfer some MiniDV tapes with iMovie (I didn't like the low frame rate though, so I'm probably going to give it another try).

After I'm done with the Hi8 tapes, I would also like to capture some rare commercial and homemade VHS tapes I have as well. I have a homemade PAL VHS that could only play in my Sony VCR that supported it, but the VCR doesn't work anymore. I suppose the internals need to be cleaned or are worn out. There are also a few TV recordings I found as well. As for commercial tapes, I have a NTSC tape of a foreign cartoon with a rare U.S. English cut and dub that's not online anywhere. The DVD version is laughable in comparison. It is the original cut with a non-native speaker dubbing it. There's also this rare educational Math Blaster VHS from the 80s that I got used at the library over ten years ago. Someone captured it and put it on YouTube, but I would like to see if my tape is in better condition.

TL;DR: Tried to capture Hi8 tapes five years ago with VirtualDub on Windows 7, gave up after not getting desired results, and life got in the way. Back again with a MacBook Pro 2015 with Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter and cable. Wondering if I can use the ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB or if there is a better way on macOS for Hi8, homemade VHS, and commercial VHS.
    see here - https://www.amazon.com/slp/capture-video-for-mac/fcuqv8uyfjpe94d
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TL;DR:
    a MacBook Pro 2015 with Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter and cable.
    Being PAL, DV conversion is 4:2:0, thus fine. So a simple Canopus ADVC will work. Mac is a DV-centric workflow, and doesn't give many options otherwise.

and commercial VHS[/B].
    External TBC is required.

For VHS period, homemade or retail, you'll also need a quality S-VHS VCR with line TBC. (VCRshop.nl is where to go for a PAL deck in Europe.)

Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    All of that is low-end Chinese junk.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Novice
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    TL;DR:
    a MacBook Pro 2015 with Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter and cable.
    Being PAL, DV conversion is 4:2:0, thus fine. So a simple Canopus ADVC will work. Mac is a DV-centric workflow, and doesn't give many options otherwise.
    Is Canopus lossless? According to this video, using a DV camcorder with Firewire that supports 8mm and Hi8 is a way to get the best quality, but I've read on here that using an Analog to DV method can strip some of the quality away. I got an ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB because so many have recommended it in the past. The problem I had was high pitched audio in VirtualDub due to what I suspect the camcorder or the tapes recording in PAL, even though I've always lived in the U.S. and I didn't realize that until I tried capturing them. I don't recall figuring out how to get past that. I may as well Bootcamp my Mac and try the ATI card again if that's what's going to get me the best quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DV is lossy. But for PAL, not so lossy that it's terrible.

You probably just need a better camera.

How many tapes?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Novice
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    DV is lossy. But for PAL, not so lossy that it's terrible.

You probably just need a better camera.

How many tapes?
    Sorry, for not getting back sooner. I've been busy during the week. I have about 16 tapes. Here are pictures of everything I have to work with at the moment. Again, the camcorder that everything (I think) was recorded on is a Sony CCD-TRV45E (PAL) from Malaysia or Australia in early 1998. Here is the manual. I also took a picture of the settings as I found them. The Hi-8 TDK tapes may or may not have come from Malaysia or Australia, and once my dad got back to North America, we got Video8 Sony tapes from there. There are also two TDK HS60 8mm tapes not pictured here that also may or may not have come from overseas. There is also an interesting excerpt I found on page 77 of the manual regarding XR and Video8. I still have my ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB, but I'm open to other solutions as long as it's not over $300. I wish I could say I was a professional, but that's why I'm here to learn!

[Attachment 49185 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 49186 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 49187 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 49188 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven’t messed with video from my HandyCam in many years, and when I did it was on Windows and a Canopus ADVC-100 when needed. Almost forgot, NTSC was all I’ve ever used.

I now have a Mac Pro, Final Cut Pro X, and no clue how to make the best capture from that device aside from directly importing from the FireWire port into FCPX or iMovie. I guess I should give it a go just to get familiar with it.

Let us know how your project goes... Good Luck.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Novice
    Search Comp PM
    I finally settled on a Sony CCD-TR840E camcorder. It comes with an S-Video cable and a bunch of extras I don't need, including SCART adapters and tapes. I probably paid way more than I should have. However, there is also a CCD-TRV66E available from France as well for about the same price. I wish I had waited on that instead, but I'll see how this one goes.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi, i am in th UK and have a Sony handycam DCR-TRV110E PAL. I have many old digital HI8 tapes and really want to get them onto my iMac... I have no clue (Total beginner) how to do this, can someone please tell me what cables etc i would need to make this happen... Really appreciate anyones help on this and as this post looks similar to my problem i kinda highjacked it so sorry in advance...

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For the Mac there are some "Intensity" options from BlackMagic Design, i think the price of these products are affordable, but be aware, that these products are semi-professional, and expect a clean video signal, if the camcorder doesn't deliver a good signal, (recording handheld) you're in for a very unstable picture, which will give frame drops and audio de-sync.
    A vcr (or dvd-recorder/combo recorder) with a build in "TBC" can be used as passthrough, i have good results with JVC and Panasonic "devices" and my Intensity Shuttle (TB2).
    Most of the "normal" VHS VCR's won't give a steady signal for the Intensity product, There's nothing wrong with the BMD products, but BMD and other semi pro capture devices are your best bet if you have a Mac, because there isn't much more for the Mac platform, the Microsoft PC platform does have a lot of cards or USB dongles but most of it isn't any good use even on the Microsoft PC level... (You need to downgrade the OS on an old pc for the drivers to work)
    With Mac you can use the recent new OS to work with the capture device that is available for your Mac, Hard/software compatebility is a big advantage of the Mac and used hardware.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=78838
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 16th Dec 2019 at 20:26.
    Quote Quote