VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm looking for a way to change the container for MKV, FLV, and AVI video to MP4 (without re-encoding), since none of the aforementioned 3 are compatible with Smart Cutter (whereas MP4 is).
    Quote Quote  
  2. FFmpeg can be used to remux these containers to mp4 assuming the audio&video formats used in those containers are mp4 compatible.
    Code:
    ./ffmpeg -i <path to input file> -codec copy <path to output file with .mp4 extension>
    Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    ... assuming the audio&video formats used in those containers are mp4 compatible....
    Compatibility is the iusue here, isn't it? .mp4 is just a container, not a format. For example there's a list of smart cutter compatible opfrmats here and I don;t see the type of format you;d see in .avi files (ASP) there:

http://www.fame-ring.com/smart_cutter.html
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Well, the format for the AVI container files is H.264, AAC (same with the MKV and FLV).
    Quote Quote  
  5. then ffmpeg should work fine,...
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  6. Brorsoft Video Converter, yes I know, I had to spend about $30 but it really does a great job Remuxing and batch processing. I don't think they have it for Mac though... I can't remember which one I use on Mac but if I remember I will come back and edit it in. (Here is an edit it in remembrance) I used to use "Remux" on the Mac and I see that it is still out there albeit it is a newer version. I haven't figured out how to do multiple folders and have it recreate the separate multiple folders on the output though. It just takes everything from any nested folders and remuxes them into one folder. I prefer Handbrake if you actually have to transcode and still want quality but Brorsoft is quick and processes 4 at a time. I can't say enough about Handbrake because it makes the best compatible and quality transcodes and does a great job on batch processing but is no where near as fast as remuxing.

Oh yes I have also used MPEG StreamClip http://www.squared5.com/ as it can remux and works on Mac but I don't think it is as compatible or fast like Handbrake or Brorsoft.

One cool thing about MPEG Stream Clip is that it can actually fix a bad video timeline which has broken time code and would otherwise drop all video after the time code break but Streamclip will rebuild all time code breaks so those programs that error out on some videos Streamclip can fix it.
    Last edited by Illusion; 18th Apr 2019 at 21:49. Reason: Added a sentence and link to the software I use for batch remuxing
    Quote Quote