VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone

I'm to this board and also new to creating video that has to follow certain specs. I hope I'm posting in the right place and if not, could you advise me on where to post this?

Here's my question:
    I'm needing to create a 1920pixels x1080pixels video and provide it as progressive video, square pixel (1:1) as a .MOV file with a title safe area.

Does anyone have recommendations on the best programs to use to make something like this? I'm not totally clear on how to create video with square pixels (1:1) that is 1920px1080p? Also if you know of any quality programs that are free or don't cost a lot? I'm creating this as a volunteer to help out an organization.

Thanks very much for any help/advice in advance Sheri
    Quote Quote  
  2. Square pixels is pretty much the default with 1920x1080. Almost any program you use to create it will deliver square pixels.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You don't say anything at all about your workflow: what video are you starting with and where did it come from? What format is your source video? How are you editing it? What format do you want to create? (MOV is only a container, like AVI, but you must also specify the format, like h.264).

As jagabo says, square pixel 1920x1080 is the default for almost every video program around, so that part of your request is trivial to fulfill.

Handbrake is many people's "go to" program for encoding to that resolution. Look at that to start with.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your replies

Jagabo, ok so square pixels (1:1) does not mean that my video will appear in a square shape. When I looked this up online before, I was seeing a lot of videos about how to create videos (1:1) yet they seemed to change the 1920x1080 dimensions so that width and length were exactly the same, square. If it simply means square pixels only and this is already the case with 1920x1080, then I guess there's nothing more I need to do then makes sure it's HD 1920x1080p so that's good news.

Johnmeyer, thanks for your questions as it helps me clarify how to move forward and what to think about as I'm new to this.
    I'm planning to use free online pictures and possibly some video to create this. I haven't chosen the pictures or video files yet so don't know what format yet.
    I'm wondering if there is a recommended editing program before starting and if there is a more suitable format for pictures & videos for creating something with these specs.
    I'm supposed to present this as a QuickTime, MPEG 4 Codecs too with Frame rate 30 fps and Bit rate 16 Mbits.
    Thanks for the tip on Handbrake. I've used it in the past and will have another look.

Much appreciated!
    Thanks for the tips and info. & anything else you might have to guide me THANKS!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Square pixel means the shape of individual pixels is a square. When pixels are square the display aspect ratio (the shape of the picture you see on the screen) is equal to the relative frame dimensions (number of pixels horizontally,: number of pixels vertically). So with square pixels a 1920x1080 image is displayed as a 16:9 image (because 1920/1080 is the same as 16/9).

Handbrake won't be useful for creating video from still images. It's only for video-to-video conversions. Most non-linear editors have the ability to import images and convert them to video: Vegas, Premiere, Video Studio, AviUtl, etc.). There are many dedicated "slideshow" tools too.

https://www.videohelp.com/software?toolsearch=slideshow
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Jagabo, thanks so much for you explanation of pixels and also how it also pertains to Display Aspect Ratio- makes more sense to me now and very clear!

Thanks too for the editing tool suggestions. I've heard of some of these and will have a look to see what works best. Will check out the slideshow link too, thanks very much!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks John
    Quote Quote