VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From time to time I have a DVD with bad small files (BUP, IFO) and so I re-author with Toast. These are soccer games so usually there are two halves with the first half being VOB1_1 and 1_2 and the second half being VOB2_1 and 2_2. But the re-authored DVDs never play in proper order with VLC. Instead the VLC always starts with the 2nd half first. I found a tip on a VLC forum about using an Advanced play option and checking a box that skips the menu (even though the re-authored DVDs don't have a menu). That works, but my problem is that sometimes I play these on newer PCs and that VLC menu check box doesn't appear. I am wondering if anyone on the board has a tip for solving this problem with Toast. I have included a screenshot of my settings in Toast. Is there something I need to change so the VOB files of the re-authored DVD will play in order?

*This is an older version of Toast 10 because my computer is too old to upgrade to High Sierra and I have found Snow Leopard to be way better than Lion or Mountain Lion. And I don't want to spend money on new software that will be required for Lion or Mountain Lion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1/ Make sure to add the input files in the wanted order, as the sorting is not alphabetical, when adding files to make a DVD-Video. Toast will sort the clips in order of when they were added. For a selection of files at once, this may give unexpected results. You can change the clip order manually in the main window, by dragging the row with the clip description up or down.
    2/ VLC has a resume feature, including playback of DVD discs. So when a disc starts with part 2, then that may be because that’s where it was left the last time.
    3/ Toast may be a bit finicky at using VOBs for import files for (re-)authoring. I’m not sure of all the weird results that may come of that, but it it generally advised to use MPG (or elementary streams) files for authoring without re-encoding.
    4/ Be sure to start from a clean slate, by emptying the ~/Documents/Roxio Converted Items folder beforehand, as temporary files from a previous attempt may be used instead of newly generated temporary files. Normally that folder is emptied at Quit, but that behavior can be set differently in Preferences.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Case.

I have another dvd I will test with tonight. I could swear I've done this with mpg multiple times and with vob but I am going to use Mpegstreamclip to make MPG files for each half and then will test. I know it's not an issue with being out of order because the Mac dvd player doesn't start with the second half on play; it only happens with vlc. And I know it's not an issue with vlc remembering my last play because I've sent files to a friend to test as well and he has the same problem. I'm hoping the mpg solves the issue or confirms that this is not the issue and then I will move to checking the converted items folder.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't try IINA player since I wanted to figure out why this problem was only happening with VLC and sometimes the dvds are played on windows machines. I'll have to check out the program, though.

I did another test last night and I wonder if part of the problem is the autoplay on insert box being checked. I created a menu, which is not something I had done in the past, and unchecked this box. The dvd played fine on my version of VLC but I also sent it to a friend last night so he could test on a pc. I won't be back in my office until later this week.

Although I am somewhat hijacking my own thread, I have noticed another strange thing with Toast that maybe y'all can help me understand. I followed case's advice by making mpg files for each half of the game. Basically I had what I described above VTS1_1, VTS1_2 and VTS2_1 and VTS2_2. When I imported to MpegStreamclip to make the mpg, I got the error message that I need to fix the data breaks. I did that and exported the mpg files (1 for each half). Fixing the breaks did not affect the total time. But when I made the disc image in Toast and opened the new disc image with the mac dvd player, the files were smaller. The first half of the game was 57 minutes if I remember correctly and the second half was 48 minutes. But after the ISO was created the first half was down to 46 and the second half was 43. The beginning was the same as the mpg and so was the end so somehow time was edited in the middle. When I just drag the VOBs into Toast without doing the MPEGSTreamclip conversion, there is no lost time. I have had this happen before and I have never been able to figure out why the re-authoring in Toast sometimes leads to edits in the files. Does anyone know why this would happen? In some instances there is nothing I can do other than just go with the mpg file as my master file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by danielmak View Post
    I didn't try IINA player […] I'll have to check out the program, though.
    For me, IINA was the player that handled some 4K test video rather smoothly on my aging Mac, where other players were stuttering.

Originally Posted by danielmak
    I have noticed another strange thing with Toast […] The beginning was the same as the mpg and so was the end so somehow time was edited in the middle.
    A couple of questions …
    Can you find what is missing? That can be tedious, I realize that. First have look at the transition from VTS1_1 to VTS1_2, and also from VTS2_1 to VTS2_2.
    Can it be a speed-up? Check e.g. the frames around 0:10:00, 0:20:00, 0:30:00 in the before and after situation.
    Did you fix data breaks or did you fix timecode breaks? MPEG Streamclip can do either (or both). Its log will tell you more precise where in the files.
    Do other players agree with the shorter times?
    Are video and audio of (about) equal length?
    Are you sure you didn’t move the “start” and “end” trim markers in the Edit window in Toast? That could account for lost time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't had a chance to look through to see where the time is missing. I know it is not in the beginning or in the end.

I meant to say fixing timecode breaks, not data breaks. The exported MPG is exactly the same as the VOB files in terms of length. So the shrinking time is happening when Toast reauthors/multiplexes. I haven't done anything in Toast that would change the start or end time or edit in the middle. And I use Toast a fair amount (maybe a few times a month to re-author since I am in the process of moving my DVD-Rs to HDDs as second backup. Any dvd with one of those RM folders or those Tiny Storage DVDs require that I convert to MPG and then re-author with Toast to make a new DVD. This problem with missing time has happened before (enough that it is not just a one-off but not enough for me to isolate the problem). I can say for certain that one of the unifying factors seems to be fixing timecode breaks. But, again, the exported MPG is always complete length but the ISO and ripped ISO to dvd both end up minus time.

The shorter time appears on the Mac DVD player, VLC, and when I import back into MPEGSTreamclip.
    Quote Quote