VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello! I want to emphasize that I'm a hobbyist so I do NOT need top tier specs.

I recently got into making drone videos with my DJI Mavic. I'm new to Apple products, video making, and don't know much about computers+specs. I do plan to purchase an iMac or MBP to edit 4k footage on Final Cut Pro

1) I was considering a 21.5" iMac, but after doing research a lot of people told me the 21.5" is very underpowered even if I customized the best specs on the Apple website. If I were to get the 27", what specs (i5 vs i7, processor, RAM, etc.) should I consider for 4k? Again, I'm a hobbyist and my price range is preferably <$2000, but I'd like to know my options at a max of $2500.

2) I've seen a lot of review stay the 2016 15" MCP+touchbar is not worth the price tag; what are your thoughts on the 2015 15" MCP? Capable to smoothly editing 4k w/ FCP?

Apple refurb store has a 2015 15"; thoughts for 4k editing?
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FJLQ2LL/A/refurbished-154-inch-macbook-pro-22ghz-qu...retina-display
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	618
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	41260

3) If the 2015 is capable of doing the job; which 15" model should I get? Its hard to know the available models since the Apple website doesn't sell them anymore.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	41259

Thanks! I'd appreciate the help!
    Last edited by c0t0paxi; 15th Apr 2017 at 18:59.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably better asked and answered in our Mac Forum. Moving.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    See Everymac.com for past and present Mac specifications.
    The notebooks can have less maximum RAM, compared to the desktop iMacs (16 vs. 32/64 GB).
    The two flavours in your second image are mainly Integrated Graphics versus Dual Graphics (= integrated graphics + dedicated graphics.) The iMac models are also divided by integrated graphics and dedicated graphics. Integrated graphics used to suck, but the in last few years the performance has stepped up a bit. FCP will utilise the extra power that the dedicated graphics card provides, tho'.
    Don't forget disk space. Is your strategy external (usb 3 or thunderbolt), or large internal drive?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you moving to Apple products because of your new interest in video editing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    $1700 for a refurb (or even new) laptop with those weenie specs is completely ridiculous.

I have a Mac mini.

If I ever wanted something beefier, I'd build a Hackintosh. More power, less cost.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    The new kaby lake chips are in the 2017 iMacs, with better discreet graphics. I myself bought the $1499 21.5 4k model. No regrets.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi there! I am an amateur photographer.. And I am confused in buying my editing Pc.. I prefer to buy a laptop.. Will a retina MacBook Pro 13" 2015 edition enough for photo editing or should go wid retina MacBook Pro 15" 2015 edition... Which is best in terms for performance as well as pricing! Thanks in advance!
    LED display (short for Light Emitting Diode), is a technology that can be traced back to its original discovery more than 100 years ago. Visit BestAdvisor for more information.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Tim48569 View Post
    Hi there! I am an amateur photographer.. And I am confused in buying my editing Pc.. I prefer to buy a laptop.. Will a retina MacBook Pro 13" 2015 edition enough for photo editing or should go wid retina MacBook Pro 15" 2015 edition... Which is best in terms for performance as well as pricing! Thanks in advance!
    Yes, the 13" MacBook Pro . Try to avoid the 15 watt chips. I prefer the 28 watt chips. It will be more than enough power. Only drawback is no SD card slot, dongle life. #1 reason why I chose the iMac over the MacBook Pro.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hardy View Post
    Try to avoid the 15 watt chips. I prefer the 28 watt chips.
    None of the 2015 MacBook Pros were 15 W; the Early 2015 models were 28 W (2 cores 5th gen), and the Mid 2015 models were 47 W (4 cores 4th gen).
    The MacBook Airs had (still have) the 15 W chips.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    2016 & 2017 lower end models have 15w chips on the 13 inch
    The 2017 Kaby Lake 2.3 GHz has been producing good numbers online.
    Quote Quote