VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just got a Mac Mini, and one of the first things I wanted to do was try out Quicktime.

I cannot even find a menu for it, it just gives me the option to record the screen. Also, I wanted to reactivate my QuickTime Pro key since I still have it saved.

I am brand new to Mac, and sadly already I'm lost.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There should be a Control Panel applet for Quicktime, I believe. You can try entering your key there, although I don't know if it'll accept old keys or keys from Quicktime for Windows.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    QuickTime (the underlying multimedia framework) is different from QuickTime Player (the media player).
    The modern player (version 10.x, for Mac OS X 10.6 and later) is fundamentally different from the older player (upto version 7.x) in functionality. Both can be installed at the same time. Only the older QuickTime Players could be upgraded to Pro. There is no Pro registration for QuickTime Player v.10.x. I doubt the serials for Windows work on Mac OS X.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes and to clarify & update:

The underlying Media framework for MacOS used to be Quicktime, but that was deprecated years ago. Now MacOS and iOS are both using AVFoundation.
    Quicktime Player/Pro 7.x runs on Quicktime api, while Quicktime Player 10.x runs on AVFoundation. Which is partly why you can have both installed.
    Also, AVFoundation is crippled because Apple chose not to support either backward compatible Apple codecs (meaning only QT 7.x can play them unless they get transcoded), nor allow 3rd party codec development (leaving you with a very small, Apple-centric subset to choose from). And QT 10.x is crippled because it lost many of the editing and ALL of the exporting features of its earlier cousin.
    And NO, 7.x pro serials for Win QT are different than the Mac QT ones. I know - I had to purchase both at one point in my business.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The "upgrade" from Quicktime 7 to Quicktime 10 says a lot about the state of the Mac now that it represents a small fraction of Apple's profits.
    Quote Quote