VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an analog<-->digital converter box (like the Canopus 1000) that lets me take the TV signal and send it through the box, where it is converted to digital format. The digital version is then sent via firewire to my PC's firewire port. I have WinDV installed.

When I run WinDV, I pick up the video signal beautifully. I was wondering - how can I get the audio from the firewire feed? My sound card is hooked into my Hauppauge TV tuner card.

The audio has to be coming through the firewire connection because when I save the DV file and play it back the audio is there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't understand your question:

1. You've converted to DV stream from analog video+audio (TV source). Check.
    2. You're piping the firewire into the computer and capping via WinDV. Check.
    3. You're saving the file to DV-AVI. Check.
    4. You're playing the DV-AVI and video + audio is there. Check.

Everything seems OK to me...You are getting the audio from your firewire feed.

Oh wait, let me guess...you want to hear it while it's capping. No can do that way.
    Easiest thing you can do is get a Y-cable and split one fork of the audio to the converter box, and split another to the external line inputs on your sound card.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Bingo. I wanted to listen to the audio while it was capping, or just while it was going through the DV converter box without capping.

The DV was much cleaner than the output of the WinTV card.

I was hoping for a software solution, but thanks anyways!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I can do it, but then I don't have your A/D box. I've got a Canopus DVStorm card (which does basically the same thing as a box+other options), and it's got realtime in and out, so the manual describes how to pipe (loopback) the return output to the aux/line in on your regular sound card. Et viola!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just use another DV program to capture with. WinDV does not have a sound option, but most other DV cap programs do. Windows Movie Maker does, Ulead Video Studio does, etc.

I also have a Canopus btw, so know you can get audio with another app.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "Why didn't you say so sooner. That's a horse of a different color"

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can monitor audio and/or video off the Canopus box.
    Quote Quote