VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello All,

First of all, I wanted to say that I really did try to find the answers to all these questions by searching this (and another) forum, but I had to go through hundreds of hits... so I thought I'd jst ask.

I have a Mac G4 dual 500 running Panther. I'm just getting started with DVD. I have a strong audio background, my wife has a strong digital video backround, and together we're gonna make some DVDs....

...if I can figure out which model, formats, and software. So, if any of you use a Mac to burn DVDs, and if you could be so kind to share you experiences with me, I would very much appreciate it.

These are my goals:

1. Burn DVD's to backup data.

2. Create simple DVDs via iDVD (or something similar).

3. Create more complex DVDs with DVDSP2.

My questions are:

1. Any advatage to the different formats when burning data CD's for file backup?

2. Apple's site states a SuperDrive is required for iDVD. So what is another simple DVD authoring program you gurus suggest for Mac? I've seen a few mentioned, anyone havea favorite?

3. What drives are compatible with DVDSP2? Anyone using DVDSP2 with their Mac and thrid-party drive?

4. Is anyone doing all three of these things with their burner, and does it not do one or more of these things well?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1. Any advatage (sic) to the different formats when burning data CD's for file backup?
    Depends on where you will be reading the backups. iso 9660 can be read on Mac/PC/Linux and is the basic cd file system. Using HFS+ (Mac Volume) makes cds mount nicely on Mac machines and allows you to customize icons, disc background images, etc. The Mac/PC hybrid allows for PCs to read the files. In the end data is data and the different file systems mean very little when backing up.

2. Apple's site states a SuperDrive is required for iDVD. So what is another simple DVD authoring program you gurus suggest for Mac? I've seen a few mentioned, anyone havea favorite?
    The only other basic DVD Authoring program I've used is Sizzle. The features are okay, but the inability to customize the button highlights really annoys me. For very simple menus, however, it does the job. iDVD4 also allows you to create a "bundle" file to transfer to a Mac with a SuperDrive. Build on any machine with iDVD and then bring it to another iDVD machine to burn by choosing File>Archive Project and taking that file to the burning machine.

3. What drives are compatible with DVDSP2? Anyone using DVDSP2 with their Mac and thrid-party drive?
    DVDSP2 will create an unencrypted VIDEO_TS folder you can burn with any burning software and any drive recognised by your Mac. You could even transfer the folder to another machine with a drive to burn without DVDSP installed. It's even possible to burn on a PC. DVDSP is very flexible.

4. Is anyone doing all three of these things with their burner, and does it not do one or more of these things well?
    I Backup with Dantz Retrospect to DVD-R, Burn simple projects in iDVD and sometimes Sizzle, and create the more complex work in DVDSP2 all on my old Quicksilver g4 with a Pioneer-103 Apple OEM drive. No problems other than the need for more speed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi PJM,

Thanks for the suggestions and info.

Anyone else have any info to add about drives?

Cheers,

Dave
    Quote Quote