VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can anyone tell me how I could export an imovie project to a compressed .mpg file or any other mpeg " Windows " extension. I already have titanium toast on hand.Thanks in advance for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you install Toast Titanium it will give you the ability to export as a MPEG-1.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm not sure what you mean. From imovie what steps do I take and at what point does Toast come into play? Thanks for your time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WHen you go to export your movie Toast Titanium should have added a new option. You should now have three options for export, Quicktime Movie, To Camera, and to Toast Video CD. Simply export as Toast Video CD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Toast VCD export is easy but IMO encoding VCD via MediaPipe has better quality. For some reason Toast VCDs have washed out colors compared to MediaPipe. And Toast doesn't preserve the original aspect ratio at least with its Crop setting (I haven't tested other options because with MediaPipe I use PAL 720x576 scale to 360x288 and crop to 352x288 and the aspect ratio is OK).

And I prefer 352x576 PAL XSVCD with 48 kHz audio anyway because the quality is better and it can later quite easily be transferred to a real DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks guys. I'm on OS 9.2.2. Does anyone else know of other apps to go to .mpg, 2 or 4 ? I need the best quality possible. This is going out to some clients. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quicktime Pro will export MPEG-4 just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  8. TGPO, I got myself QT pro and have a couple questions for you. From the expert sub menu I select mpeg4 but qt seems to switch to 3ivx by itself. Also, right after selecting mpeg 4 I have to name the file ...do I leave the extension .mov or do I change it to something else.Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not too sure what you mean by the 3ivx selection. But the quicktime movie's extention should be .mp4....infact it is the extention that Quicktime automatically adds to my video if I select the MPEG-4 option.... come to think of it isn't 3ivx only a codec. Make sure that you are selecting MPEG-4 as your export settings and not Quicktime movie.
    Quote Quote  
  10. That's the weir part...the only two choices I have after selecting Export ( from imovie) are to camera and quick time. Then, after selecting QT I select "formats", from there I go in" setings". In the next window I can select from a bunch of settings including MPEG4.The next window asks me to name the file with a .mov. I gave I a .mp4 and exported. Then When I try to open it QT tells me it's not a format it understands.I don'nt get it . Can anyone help me?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay now I'm getting confused. You last post soundsed like you were using QT Pro for some exporting, thus the information I gave was about QT Pro. Yeah, in iMovie export as a Quicktime Movie, and use the MPEG-4 codec if that's what you are wanting to use. I'm guessing you should leave the extention to what ever iMovie sets it as default.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Toast 5 and above will create VCD discs (MPEG-1) format. However, the quality pales compared to SVCD or DVD (MPEG-2) formats.

To encode from QT to MPEG-2, you'd need one of Apple's DVD tools, which include their MPEG-2 codec. However I've gotten decent results with Innobits' Bitvice, a stand-alone video only encoder (which means you'll have to convert audio separately and then mux the tracks).

FFMPEGX, Mediapipe and other tools can do it as well, but are a pain to configure, and I wasn't pleased with the quality of the results.

After months of experimenting, I've found the absolutely highest quality and easiest workflow solution for my MiniDV progressive scan edits is to export (from iMovie) uncompressed, DV-codec encoded Quicktime file (*.mov) and transfer it to a PC (you'd need WinXP since an hour takes up ~12 GB of disk space).

There, I use Canopus Procoder to encode the file directly into a complete MPEG-2 movie, including audio (although Procoder won't do MP3 audio).

Canopus Procoder is the only PC tool I know which will read Quicktime files directly. Also the speed is fantastic -- seemingly, on a lowly Pentium II/450, as fast as Bitvice on a G3/600.

Finally, most other encoders for the PC, including CinemaCraft, TMPGenc, VirtualDub etc. won't read native quicktime files (*.mov). Procoder also has batch encoding and stitch (movie merging) capabilities.

For the price of Cleaner (or less), I consider this the best tool on any platform. I wish they'd make an Altivec version, although I can get a P4 box for peanuts these days which may be faster for encoding than any G4 as well (but I digress)...

The other thing I am experimenting with now is using Blackmagic's DV codecs instead of Apple's DV or DVCPRO codecs, which offer 10 and 8 bit encoding and are also free for both Macs and PCs. Blackmagic claims their DV codecs are better than Apple's. Their DV / HD tools are widely used in broadcast work.

Again, all of the above applies to "enthusiast"-generated, Mini DV source movies and not DVD/VHS/Broadcast ripping etc.
    Quote Quote  
  13. TGPO, I am using QT pro, 6.0.3. I'd like to clear this with you. How come the steps to export are so different.
    TSUMA, thanks for your input, much appreciated. What do you think about the differences in exporting from imovie me and tgpo are experiencing. From imovie do you get 2 choices, camera and qt or do you get more.? Thanks for your time guys...I guess?
    Quote Quote  
  14. In my iMovie v2.1.1 , I have a third export choice- Export to iDVD. This creates an uncompressed video/audio, Apple DV or DVCPRO codec-encoded, *.mov file.

This choice really is just a preset. You can get the same via choosing QT format and appropriate codecs.

It's also fairly fast since all it does is take the movie clips and rendered transitions and assemble them into a single file. No conversions are done on the clips themselves.

It's the iDVD app that takes this QT file and encodes it to MPEG-2 using Apple's MPEG-2 codec.

My Toast Video CD options are a subset of the export to Quicktime selection.
    Quote Quote  
  15. iMovie 2.12 (I'm not sure if 2.1.1 was different)

Export Movie

Choices: To Camera, To Quicktime, To iDVD. (If you don't have these three there is something very wrong)

Select To Quicktime, Formats: Expert.

Image Settings:

Settings: You should get a pulldown list with about a dozen or more choices. In your case maybe try MPEG-4 Video or if you have Toast installed then Toast Video CD Video. There are others to try. You may even have AVI or BMP. Both Windows but I believe pretty crappy.

I have not used OS9 is so long that I can't even check to see what else was different. As you can tell from this forum that OS X is the only way to go with Mac Video. <off soapbox>
    Quote Quote  
  16. I just finished a frustrating 25 minute project with iMovie 3 (although the sound controls and effects are nice, it is exruciatingly slow).

iMovie 3 will automatically create a Quicktime *.mov file suitable for iDVD. However, this file needs to be exported to a DV stream (*.DV) or DV/DVCPRO Quicktime file (*.mov) with no sound compression in order for Procoder to be able to read it.

The reason you can't just use it the *.mov file directly in Procoder is that the file is just a link to your media folder (with "dependencies"). Also you can't just save it as "self-contained" because it will contain, besides the DV stream, all the different audio tracks you created separately and Procoder will give you an "unknown" error.
    Quote Quote