VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've posted a few times across various websites in an attempt to identify what this is on my VHS tape. I'm a tad paranoid when it comes to mold, as you see. Anyway, I stupidly inserted this VHS tape inside my expensive SVHS VCR multiple times, and have rewound and unwound the tape (unknowing that there could be potential mold on my beloved AC DC tape).

Do you think the VHS tape contains mold or dust? Is my VCR pretty much done for? I've seen severe cases of mold, and most have noted that vhs mold typically looks powdery or like dandelion specks. I've already digitalized this tape in a lossless format via Virtualdub luckily. The tape itself looked pretty good to me when watching it.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20190928_110939.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	50326  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190928_110940.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	50327  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it's on the inner side of the hub then it's probably mold.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Do you know if it would be enough to harm the VCR itself if it is mold?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sirworm View Post
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Do you know if it would be enough to harm the VCR itself if it is mold?
    Generally you would want to clean it the best you can before hand, as this mold might be spread all over your machine and then spread onto other tapes that are played by the same machine. But your house and machine already have mold all the over the place naturally, especially if your machine already has a ventilation fan like mine. What's of more concern is if the tape itself has mold and the mold clogs your VCR head during playback, or the mold builds up on one of the guides and then starts creasing the tape as it plays. .

If I were you, and what you pictured is the only visible mold on the tape. I would rewind/fast forward (preferably in a machine you don't care about) the spool so that the moldy spool is empty of tape. And then give the moldy plastic spool a wipe down with rubbing alcohol.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will definitely clean it. However, given how much mold is on this tape, I'm not quite sure if it will have the impact as you described. Is it really enough to clog the heads? Wont be playing it anymore until I get it cleaned, that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update: Well, I understand many would be yelling at me right now for doing what I am about to tell you, however I did get this tape for 1 dollar... not to mention that the tape is being sold numerous times on Ebay and even has a DVD of its own. Plus I have already digitalized it... now I must've been tired but acting in curiosity I... removed the plastic hub that went over the spool... However, the stuff in the pictures WAS NOT on the spool! There was one speck on the spool but I could easily blow it off.

The real question now is, will mold on the plastic hub part harm the VCR?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20190928_233751.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	50334  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190928_233734.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	3.04 MB
ID:	50335  

Last edited by Sirworm; 29th Sep 2019 at 00:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I said spool I did mean the clear plastic bit, as the tape itself looked fine in the pic.

spool
    /spo͞ol/
    noun
    a cylindrical device on which film, magnetic tape, thread, or other flexible materials can be wound; a reel.

The real question now is, will mold on the plastic hub part harm the VCR?
    Will that mold on the clear plastic bit harm it, no. But it might help it spread to other tapes that go through the machine. But then again your house is already full of mold even if you don't see it. I usually just try my best to get it visually clean and then store them in a place with low humidity (inside) to prevent regrowth or to prevent the growth on seemingly clean tapes.

If you go to charity shops enough like me, you will see VHS tapes that are nearly all white from mold on the tape itself. That would kill a VCR, and would require a lot of cleaning by me if I were to ever play it in a machine I liked. Your pictures on the other hand are nothing really and could have been easily cleaned in 5 minutes.

As for your broken spool (hub), you replace it by salvaging one from a tape you don't care about.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've replaced it, everything seems as good as new. Appreciate the response.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote