VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone.

I’m looking for a capture device that can record in 1080i without forcing a deinterlace like most gamer capture cards do.

Another big problem is the fact I have the set top box too far away from my computer, so I either have to use a laptop or a DVR box.

And another thing, this channel I’m trying to record on has 384kbps ac3 audio, and I prefer to not have to lower the quality.

Has anyone tried the later Hauppauge HD PVR models?

Before someone asks, it’s not possible to do a direct recording, as the channel is encrypted with box/card marriage. I have to HDMI capture it twice to have both audio tracks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, I haven't tried any of Hauppauge's later HD PVR models. I do know something about Hauppauge's HD PVR 2 models 1512, 1507, and 1498 from VideoHelp threads. They can record 1080i50 and 1080i60 video plus AC3 audio, which makes them the most suitable Hauppauge external video capture devices for recording the output from a set-top box. Unfortunately, they do need to be connected to a computer to record video and audio.

The intended use for the Hauppauge HDPVR Pro 60 in stand-alone mode is game capture. The product description doesn't say that it captures AC3 audio and it probably does force de-interlacing to make it easy to stream the recordings without re-encoding them first.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I ended up buying an HD PVR 60 (not the pro) after the seller showed me that Hauppauge Capture has a "keep as source" option.

I heard that one allows for higher ac3 bitrate. The channel I'm recording uses 384kbps.
    Quote Quote  
  4. @usually_quiet

Is it usually possible to capture PCM audio with these devices?

I see in the settings there’s an AAC setting, but I can’t seem to have it on. The recording format always uses mpeg audio.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pthebest19 View Post
    @usually_quiet

Is it usually possible to capture PCM audio with these devices?

I see in the settings there’s an AAC setting, but I can’t seem to have it on. The recording format always uses mpeg audio.
    I had the original Hauppauge Colossus and a set-top box that could be configured to output either 5.1 AC3 or 2-channel LPCM. The Colossus came with a custom version of ArcSoft Showbiz. After Arcsoft discontinued Showbiz, Hauppauge released Hauppauge Capture. I tried it but didn't like it. I also tried Windows 7's Media Center and then NextPVR for scheduled recordings using an IR blaster to control my set-top box. I think that I could capture digital audio in its original form with those but I am not certain. I still use Next PVR but don't use a Colossus any longer so I can't test it. I got rid of the set-top box and replaced it with a digital cable tuner a few years ago.

Looking at the current Hauppauge Capture, its options for digital audio capture are to capture the original AC3 audio output or convert digital audio to either 2-channel AAC or 2-channel MPEG 1 layer II. NextPVR is still being developed and has an active user forum. Maybe you could ask about its ability to capture LPCM audio there.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Last time I installed Arcsoft Showbiz on Windows 10 it gave me a BSOD and forced me to use a system restore.

I’m using the HD PVR 60. On “advanced settings” on Hauppauge capture I see it gives me the option to set the bitrate (max 256) and they let me choose which encoder to use for both MP2 and AAC. But I can’t seem to find an option to set AAC

It would be better to me to capture the audio uncompressed. This channel I’m recording on uses 384kbps AC3 (which is kinda overkill I know) and I’d like to preserve the quality.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last time I installed Arcsoft Showbiz on Windows 10 it gave me a BSOD and forced me to use a system restore.

I’m using the HD PVR 60. On “advanced settings” on Hauppauge capture I see it gives me the option to set the bitrate (max 256) and they let me choose which encoder to use for both MP2 and AAC. But I can’t seem to find an option to set AAC

It would be better to me to capture the audio uncompressed. This channel I’m recording on uses 384kbps AC3 (which is kinda overkill I know) and I’d like to preserve the quality.
    Hauppauge Capture's "Advanced Settings" has a checkbox at the bottom labeled "Capture original AC3 track for Multiple Track recordings" It is supposed to allow keeping the original 5.1 audio stream rather than downmixing it from 5.1 via the audio mixer to 2ch. Are you saying that this setting didn't work?

I don't know of any capture software for Hauppauge's HD PVR line that converts 5.1 channel AC3 or even 2 channel AC3 to LPCM. (LPCM is uncompressed.)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Wait, so is the original audio from the PVR an AC3 stream?

I thought it would support uncompressed.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wait, so is the original audio from the PVR an AC3 stream?
    The "original AC3 audio" refers to the audio delivered by the set-top box via HDMI to the HD-PVR capture device. This AC3 audio is also identical to the AC3 audio contained in the signal received by the set-top box from whatever source it uses.

I thought it would support uncompressed.
    If an HD-PVR capture device receives uncompressed audio, as far as I know, it is always re-encoded. I think that the HD-PVR's onboard hardware encoder does the re-encoding.
    Quote Quote