VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!

Please advise MSU Subtitle Remover stopped/not working in virtualdub2
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It certainly loads what specific issue are you having ?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	msu_sr.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	51933  

Quote Quote  
  3. Issue is MSU Subtitle Remover suddenly stopped working on mp4 video and not progress showing in preview video and I'd like to share that filter loading is quite normal without errors.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got it to work, but it is a very temperamental filter. You have to save the mask.txt and mask*.bmp it creates after the first pass to a different folder,
    set up the filter for the remove pass but before you run it, restore these files to c:\temp
    For the first pass I set the compression to uncompressed (default) and ran "video analysis pass"
    Make sure to set top, bottom, left & right in the "detection area". Leaving it on automatic does not work properly

Name:	remove_subs3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	51949  

Quote Quote  
  5. The mask.txt file created but in filter working preview window subtitle showing same as original video window no removal of subtitle, I got the tutorial everything is going fine and in preview window filter was working detecting automatically & removing it. But I don't know what happened and this filter stopped working in virtualdub2.

Any suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deepfrayder View Post
    The mask.txt file created but in filter working preview window subtitle showing same as original video window no removal of subtitle, I got the tutorial everything is going fine and in preview window filter was working detecting automatically & removing it. But I don't know what happened and this filter stopped working in virtualdub2.

Any suggestions.
    I've seen some occurrences where the masks.txt is created fine but as you go to set the filter for the remove pass the mask.txt
    changes and it will no longer work. This is why I suggested saving them before reentering the filter to set the remove pass setting.

Except for that I did nothing special, for the remove pass I chose typical CRF setting in x264 for the video compression
    Quote Quote  
  7. Would you like to explain from starting what steps I have to take regarding the msu subtitle remover filter problem. I'm bit confused. Please guide.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deepfrayder View Post
    Would you like to explain from starting what steps I have to take regarding the msu subtitle remover filter problem. I'm bit confused. Please guide.
    Thanks
    I'm unable to create a guide, the filter has a mind of it's own, sometimes it works sometimes not.
    If I can figure out any more, I'll update the thread

I installed a really old version of Virtualdub, version 186 from 2009. The filter seems to work there,
    in 2-pass (detect and remove) mode.
    However, this release only saves as avi. Perhaps you can use this and save to an intermediate uncompressed format.

Name:	msu_sr2.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	51970  

Last edited by davexnet; 11th Feb 2020 at 20:22.
    Quote Quote  
  9. As you suggested earlier regarding saving mask.txt file before entering the filter settings to remove pass settings and please guide once the video and filter loaded I've to play whole video for detection of subtitle and play again full video for removing the subtitle.

Please share other alternate of msu subtitle remover.

Appreciate your help.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Search the forum using the keywords REMOVE SUBTITLES
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvdkkGJnyMo

I notice in the video above the guy is using an even older version of Virtualdub than the one I tried,
    perhaps try that version.
    https://www.videohelp.com/download/VirtualDub-1.7.8.zip
    Quote Quote  
  11. I already followed that video and tried in starting the filter worked then suddenly stopped working and second thing I need to remove subtitle from mp4 file. I think the said VirtualDub works only for avi files.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm repeating the same words. I already inferred the filter has bugs and
    sometimes it stops working or does other weird things.

You can easily feed this old release of Vdub an mp4 by creating an one line Avisynth script that opens
    and frameserves the file

There is also the previous stable version:
    http://www.compression.ru/video/subtitles_removal/src/msu_subrem_22b.zip
    Last edited by davexnet; 12th Feb 2020 at 15:39.
    Quote Quote  
  13. knreddy
    Search Comp PM
    Solution: Copy the following 3 files from VirtualDub 1.7.8 to VirtualDub 2
    auxsetup.exe
    vdremote.dll
    vdsvrlnk.dll
    runauxsetup.exe by opening / double clicking, Install handler, Run VirtualDub , Now plugin MSU Subtitle remover 3.0b2 is working with VirtualDub 2 .

NOTE:
    (i) MSU Subtitle remover 3.0b2 is not working with VirtualDub v1.10.4
    (ii) MSU Subtitle remover 3.0b2 is working with v1.7.8 with above method with AVI input file.
    (iii) If Detection Area is known e.g. if location of subtitles are fixed , it is better to select that area to avoid artefacts. The pixel size of video is shown by program , we have to assess the approximate pixel reference coordinates with + side 5-10 % extra area after unselecting Automatic

Coordinates are measured in pixels from top left corner.

Further VD2 works on 32bit windows 11 version with subtitle removal, subtitle , external encoders incl scripts are zipped and uploaded with simplified step in MS Word file.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by knreddy; 16th Nov 2022 at 08:34.
    Quote Quote