VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, I feel as if this has been asked dozens of times, and I've searched all over this forum for an answer to my problem, but nothing has helped.

I'm trying to burn about 4-5 MKV file type episodes to a DVD for playback on my DVD player. I downloaded DVD Flick and all seemed good until I tested the converted files in a media player that plays dvd files. It was stuck on one picture and nothing else happened.

What do I need to do now? Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try convert with something else like avstodvd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, I tried that and I just get an error whenever I add my video file

"Warning! FrameRate value detected is invalid. Please insert it manually."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If there mkv files just burn them with Imgburn. What's DVD Flick got to do with the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Will I be able to watch these on a dvd player? That's what I'm trying to do.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Apparently his dvd player cannot handle mkv files and he is trying to make dvd-video.

Examine the mkv files with MediaInfo and see what it says about the framerate of each file. When you import the file into AVStoDVD you can right click on the video within the main window and get quite a few options, one of which is to Edit Source Title info. Putting your cursor on this gives even more options, one of which is Video Frame Rate. You can change the frame rate here manually.

And read your dvd player manual. See what types of video it can handle...different players have different capabilities. Not too many can play mkv files yet however.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Apparently his dvd player cannot handle mkv files and he is trying to make dvd-video.

Examine the mkv files with MediaInfo and see what it says about the framerate of each file. When you import the file into AVStoDVD you can right click on the video within the main window and get quite a few options, one of which is to Edit Source Title info. Putting your cursor on this gives even more options, one of which is Video Frame Rate. You can change the frame rate here manually.

And read your dvd player manual. See what types of video it can handle...different players have different capabilities. Not too many can play mkv files yet however.
    I tried this, and can not seem to even find the Frame Rate information for some reason. There is no option in MediaInfo to right click the video file, or either I'm over looking it.

Only thing that even mentions it is this

"FrameRate_Mode/String :VFR"
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    The right click instructions are for AVStoDVD once the video shows up in the main window of that program.

Examining the files with MediaInfo gives you quite a lot of information about their structure. In this case, it looks like someone has made the files with variable frame rate (VFR), which may play ok, but is a tremendous pain in the ass to work with.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I tried to convert the files in AVStoDVD and I just get an error saying CMD can not continue.

Is there another way to go about converting this to play on a DVD player?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    If your are using HCenc in AVStoDVD you could switch encoders to ffmpeg. Don't know that it will make a difference.

You can try other conversion programs, notably ConvertXtoDVD and TMPGenc Mastering Works 5. There should be a free trial for the TMPGenc program.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Responders are wasting their time. The O.P. has no idea what encoded format is involved and will not post MediaInfo data. Will check back at about this same time after Christmas to see if readers are still posting guesses.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 14:26.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for everyone's help. I tried a few different options in ConvertXtoDVD, and it worked like a charm. Plays perfectly in my DVD player and the quality is great.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For anyone looking. I agree with poster that convertxtohd does this well. It is not 100% as have had some issues with it: converted okay then instead of writing to disc, just stops, says conversion and writing completed succesfully then cant navigate menu. Gowever have also tried DVDFab and Leawo and have had better success with convertxtoHD.
    Ive used version 3.07 to back up several MKv files, about 22g to blue-ray with a menu that is navigatablr.
    Quote Quote