VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have
    * a Sony HDR-CX160
    * iMac + iMovie, Final Cut X Pro

So as many others, I have discovered too late that if you want to import the movies from the camera directly to iMovie of Final Cut, it needs to be done straight out of the camera. Which is silly as there isn't enough space on the camera plus extra SD card for an entire 3 weeks trip and I do not have a portable Mac.

So I have tons of MTS files on my iMac that I need to get sorted out, and they won't import into iMovie or Final Cut (although they play perfectly in VLC Player).

Having read a lot about it on this forum and others, I understand that a converter is needed to convert to for example .mov files. So far I have tried 3-4 different converters, most know I think are Voltaic 3.0 and MacX. I get the same problem on all converters no matter what I do:

* The converter states that the movie is in 1440 x 1080, 25 fps (16x9).
    * When I convert it, the result is a "squeezed image", for example people look thin and tall.
    * I have tried different settings in for example Voltaic for output format (1440x1080, 1920x1080, 720x576 etc.), but they all produce the same squeezed image.
    * One converter though came out with a none squeezed file, but the image was only 2/3 of the screen (in the center), the rest was black

I can't find a solution to my problem on the forum, and I begin to fear that all my valuable clips from our vacation are lost - Or at least can only be viewed unedited one by one in VLC Player.

Where am I going wrong here?

Edit: I was just thinking: Why do all converters seem to think that the MTS files are in 1440x1080? AFAIK the camera records in 1920x1080. If it in reality is recorded in 1920x1080 and the converters think it is 1440x1080, that would explain the "squeezing"?

Thanks for all advice and input
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1440 x 1080 is the same as 1920 x 1080, but with non-square pixels. Just like a widescreen DVD fits in the same resolution as a full screen DVD (i.e. 720 x 480/576). You should edit it in 1440 x 1080 format, then output 1440 x 1080 with appropriate flags, and good players should play it back at the correct shape, 1920 x 1080 resolution.

So the issue appears to be with how the MAC software see the video and ignores the flag. Obviously VLC sees the flag and resizes appropriately. The converter is certainly reporting the file correctly, which implies that perhaps you aren't configuring the output correctly, and hence the not getting the results you require or expect.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You would probably get more answers in our Mac Forum. Moving you.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right thanks.
    As mentioned the converters see the movie as 1440x1098 so it "inputs" as this format.
    I then either set "output" to "current" or "1440x1098" which achieves the squeeze effect.
    If there was a way to import as 1920x1098 it would maybe solve the problem but ASAIK "input format" is not choosable in any of the converters.
    But you are right: VLC can see something that the converters can't. But it must be solvable as this problem must have occured 1000 of times for other users before?

I appreciate any input I can get from this thread.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by PatrolDane View Post
    1440x1098
    …x1098 is not a standard height !!!
    Do you have an extract to test ? (the shortest file will be the greater )

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try this: http://www.divergentmedia.com/clipwrap

It does MTS and M2T conversions -or- just re-wrapping the container to make it QuickTime compatible. Do make sure you have Perian installed as that is always useful.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right, thanks. Got it to work now.
    I can actually import into iMovie and Final Cut.
    Next problem is that apparently iDVD doesn't recognize 16:9 format made in Final Cut.
    Works OK with iMovie, but for some reason Final Cut doesn't set the correct "flag" so I DVD outputs it in 4:3.

I have tried to google it and it seems like a common problem. Can Apple software really not talk with Apple software?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No; Sony hardware can't talk to Apple software so you've had to kludge together a solution.

Try exporting as the correct aspect ratio (rather than anamorphic). iDVD should then work (assuming you set the project aspect ratio correctly at the initial start of iDVD).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PatrolDane View Post
    I have
    * a Sony HDR-CX160
    * iMac + iMovie, Final Cut X Pro

Edit: I was just thinking: Why do all converters seem to think that the MTS files are in 1440x1080? AFAIK the camera records in 1920x1080. If it in reality is recorded in 1920x1080 and the converters think it is 1440x1080, that would explain the "squeezing"?
    That CX160 has a number of record modes. The highest bitrate modes HD, FX, FH can create square pixel 1920x1080 AVCHD, but the lower ones HQ and LP create 1440x1080 video with 16:9DAR. Just to be sure, are you using the correct ones? I use Cineform Neoscene and/with Premiere CS5 and both see the resolutions correctly, square pixels or not, WS flag set or not.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IIRC, 1080p60fps is almost impossible to edit. One of my clients has the Panasonic TM700 and can't shoot in the "best" 60fps mode because nothing can even play it (besides connecting the camcorder directly to a TV).

YMMV.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the comments.
    I am using HD1920x1080 on the camera.
    But I finally found a path.
    If I export it to Apple TV in Final cut, iDVD can read it.
    The reason why I don't just make the DVD from Final Cut is that there is no options to do multi-movie menus.
    But the conversion from MTS to MOV in HD has taken A LONG time.

But all is good now.

Thanks
    Quote Quote