VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    when i tried converting some .m4v's (the default iPod setting on iMovie), it only lets me put it in a few formats. i want to put it into an ipod format and it wont let me
    thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try to send me a clip to major4@mac.com for testing (you may use yousendit.com to send files).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    okay i sent it...but i had to move it to a windows computer to send it...does ysi not work on macs???
    Quote Quote  
  4. It should work on Mac, it maybe depends on which browser you're using (Safari, Firefox, etc).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ooh. im using safari...anyways, did you get the clip?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, I dropped it on ffmpegX, then selected target format "iPod H.264", clicked Encode, and it encoded a working MP4 file.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    okay, thanks for trying it out!! i tried that format again, and somehow it worked...thats embaressing
    i looked at the file and it gave me 4 different files...ones audio, ones video which doesn't play...did that happen on yours also?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Some temporary files are created during encoding, but they will be automatically deleted when the process is finished without errors, and only one file with extension .MP4 should remain.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    okay, thanks!
    oh and one last thing (i promise!! ) is there a way to make the file exactly the same quality as the original, or is that impossible? my original is extremelly clear, and the .MP4 file is pixelated, not as clear, dark, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    reencoding always leads to quality loss

if your source file uses a video stream the ipod already handles it might be enough to simply remux to mp4 without reencoding
    Quote Quote