VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Forum....

In not new to computers and have been taking photo's and short videos for many years. Recently however I was asked to shoot some video for a youth concert party using a hd video camera.

I now have 62 GB of 1080 mp4 footage that I need to get onto dvd for parents of the youths.

In retrospect I realise that 1080 too high a res for dvd and given that my technology is nearly antique with a very slow processor etc I need to know how to proceed. Should I convert to mpeg2 first, (Some files are 4.3 GB in size), then import to dvd flick...? If so what kind or res/bitrate should I aim for and what kind of quality should I expect?

I appreciate any help/advice from those sages who have walked these paths before me, and will totally understand if I get told to sling my hook for numerous breaches of forum rules.

Gary
    Quote Quote  
  2. Should I convert to mpeg2 first
    Depends on the authoring software you're going to use. Programs like DVDStyler and AVStoDVD encode as well (and ensure the encoding meets the requirements for a DVD)

Some files are 4.3 GB in size
    The important thing is playtime. The programs above will adjust the bitrate when encoding to fit the target size:

size = playtime * bitrate.

quality should I expect
    Make a test with a small clip using the bitrate you'd expect for the final dvd. Unless you have a (unusual) long playtime use the max resolution (720x480 for NTSC, 720x576 for PAL)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Make a test with a small clip using the bitrate you'd expect for the final dvd. Unless you have a (unusual) long playtime use the max resolution (720x480 for NTSC, 720x576 for PAL)
    The shows, (2 nights), were around 1 hour 40 Mins long.

And my smallest clip is 900mb.

Did I say Mammoth Task? lol

And thanks for the advice.

Gary.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    The shows, (2 nights), were around 1 hour 40 Mins long.
    Each? A total of 3 hours 20 minutes? No editing? One DVD per night? If so the final quality depends on several factors. If it's a camera mounted on a tripod in front, not moving and just capturing the action on stage, it might be doable as long as you understand it's not going to look at all like the source. A DVD is standard def where you capped in high def. If it's progressive and not interlaced, the quality will be better.

As videobruger mentioned, make a test encode using the bittrate you might use for a full encode.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply.

I will definitely make a test disc. It was tripod mounted, no movement apart from an occasional zoom (optical).

Going forward would it make sense to shoot in 720 or even 480 for DVD?

Thanks in advance

Gary.
    Quote Quote  
  6. make a test disc
    Usually you make a DVD folder structure (or ISO image) on a HDD as not to waste physical discs for tests.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ahhh makes good sense I have daemon tools lite for iso =)

Thanks

Gary
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    Going forward would it make sense to shoot in 720 or even 480 for DVD?
    If you're in Scotland and (presumably) making PAL DVDs, then it's 576. But I'd still film at the highest quality possible and then downsize when encoding for DVD. And you might even wish to use the 1080 one to make a blu-ray version. Future proof it a little bit and it might not even require reencoding. But make sure to keep the 1080 version.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for replying,
    I will keep the original copies of course but I think I will need better equipment before I'm ready for BR.

Dual core 4gb ram etc...

Gary.
    Quote Quote