VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Well my 1tb external drive is full of ISOs of DVDs, so I thought I would reduce the size a little.

I'm taking just the movie and 1 audio track and running it through FairUse.
    My conversions look pretty good on my standalone player.
    I haven't tried any conversion back from AVIs to DVDs

What do you thing about my settings?
    I always choose 720x480 in the previous screen and I've been clipping the credits off
    I always set it 2gb file size too

Screenshot of the settings

Any other way to get better quality a 2gb usingXvid for a standalone?
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Looks good to me. What bitrate do you end up with? A Gspot screen shot would be helpful, though it looks like they are about 3126Kbps. If your set top handles that, great. I've been using FUW for H.264 and have been satisfied. Too bad there aren't set top players for that format.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I never thought about too high of a bitrate

Here's just one screenshot. Most seem to be around 2500, one was 5600 though

I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just from what I've read on this site, I thought Xvid/Divx bitrates over about 2000Kbps were problematic with some players, though no personal experience.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I guess I'll burn one of the highest bitrate ones to a DVD to see

Edit:
    Just tried a movie burned to DVD that was 4856Kb. It also happened to be over 2gb

Can't figure out why, but most all have been 2048 or so. The last 2 have changed in size. One was 2366mb and the other was 2750mb. They were all done with the same settings

BTW, my standalone DVD player didn't have any problems playing it. However it did take it a little longer to read the indexing at the begining
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That's good that the playback works well. I picked up a cheap Philips 3960 Divx player a week ago, but haven't had any time to see what capabilities it has. Most all my Divx/Xvid/H.264 videos are on the servers, but I wanted something to test for compatibility on set top players.

One big advantage to the high bitrate is if you do decide to convert one to MPEG DVD, it should preserve most of the quality. Most of my Divx/Xvid encodes are around 1.5GB and I find that sufficient for my needs. But since they are DVD backups, no real reason to convert them back to DVD format.

I do plan to convert some of my older DVD rips on the server to H.264 and that will be at about 1.5GB also, so I should have a good comparison to the Divx/Xvid backups.
    Quote Quote  
  7. That was another idea I had.
    Use a high bitrate so if there was a case I HAD to convert it to DVD, it would look half way decent. Of cource it wouldn't be 5.1 anymore

I did try to keep the original audio streams using autoGK, but the audio sync was off as much as 20 seconds sometimes. This was the main reason I switched to Fairuse for a converter
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    stiltman - Why not keep the 5.1 track in FUW? On the last page before encoding begins, just select AC3 instead of MP3. FUW will not alter the orginal sountrack.

I keep all of the original AC3 tracks, but I use Quantizer 2 instead of setting my own size value. Each DVD is encoded at a different bitrate. Telling it what size you want is great for fitting on discs, but will produce various results. You may not be able to tell the difference between two DVD's, but coverted to Xvid may result in noticible quality differences. My videos converted at Quantizer 2 are stunning on a 32" TV, and some are considerably less than 2Gb.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Almost Human
    stiltman - Why not keep the 5.1 track in FUW? On the last page before encoding begins, just select AC3 instead of MP3. FUW will not alter the orginal sountrack..
    DOH!

OK now using AC3, Thanks!

I trying a full test right now.
    AC3 quantizer 2, it came out to be 1.3gb and the bitrate was around 1500
    Now I'm trying the same movie but changing it 2gb size, 2 pass no quantizer

Want to see if the average bitrate will increase

Edit:
    I set it to 2gb but it came out at 2.3gb
    Bitrate went from 1500 to 3000

Edit 2:
    I see what it's doing. If I set it to use the AC3 audio untouched, it just adds that on to the file size at the end.
    In this case AC3 was 300mb and I set the file size to 2gb, so in the end the final file was close to 2.3gb
    Quote Quote  
  10. How setting it to 2gb file size is pretty much random with the movies I've trown at it so far. I thought at first it wasn't taking the audio strean into account, but that's not it. I've been encoding movies 3 times each now to get the file as close to 2gb as I came

Strange
    Quote Quote  
  11. Anyone know how to *force* Fairuse to stick to the set file size?
    It seems to be a total crap shoot. All DVDs are in ISO form on my HDD

Last night I did the same movie 4 times before I got it to be close to 2gb
    1st time set it to 1999mb and it ended up at 2568mb
    2nd time set it to 1850mb and it ended up at 2307mb
    3rd time set to 1750mb and it ended up at 2218mb
    4th at 1700mb and it came out to 2107mb
    All of them used the same untouched AC3 at about 400mb

Next DVD I tried I set it to 2gb and it came out at 2045mb
    It had an AC3 of 360mb

Total crap shoot
    Quote Quote  
  12. OK I seem to be having problems with a few encodes higher than 4000kbs burn to DVDs It will start out a little jercking (first couple a minutes) and then settle down a bit.

Is there a way to reduce the bitrate a little without having to go all the way back to the begining with fairuse (aka using the original DVD or ISO)? Some thing easier than putting the DVD back in a gain.

Looks like I'll be keeping all my encoides under 4K for now on
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why waste the time? Fry's has 1TB Seagates for $149 and rumor is they may be down to $99 by Black Friday.
    http://www.slashgear.com/early-black-friday-forecast-149-blu-ray-player-499-40-inch-pl...ma-tv-1916790/
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  14. Got a couple of questions, but first let me say my standalone has no problems playing either

I started out using FairUse with the defualt settings but upped the file size to 2GB
    Then after someone posted that I could use the original AC3 audio I went with that.
    However I didn't realize it also changed some other settings.

My questions

Whats the difference between:

MP3 Audio
    Video
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile : Simple@L3
    Format settings, BVOP : No
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Codec ID : XVID
    Codec ID/Hint : XviD

and

AC3 Audio
    Video
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile : Streaming Video@L1
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
    Codec ID : XVID
    Codec ID/Hint : XviD

Namely what BVOP, @L1 or @L3, Simple vs Streaming, Packed or Unpacked
    Also, even though I set the profile for "home" which shades out packed bitstream, it still encodes with packed bitstream for some reason.
    If you need the whole media info text, just let me know

Newbie questions, I know, but hey the answers will sure help out others I bet
    Quote Quote  
  15. STreaming is for sending stuff over the webistan, so it try's to keep below a max bitrate and probably trys to keep a more constant bitrate. use unpacked and divx home theatre profile. keeping files under 4gb allows them to be burnt to a dvd-r.
    There is no way of "shrinking" an mpeg4 file, re-do.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by RabidDog
    use unpacked and divx home theatre profile. keeping files under 4gb allows them to be burnt to a dvd-r.
    There is no way of "shrinking" an mpeg4 file, re-do.
    Also, even though I set the profile for "home" which shades out packed bitstream, it still encodes with packed bitstream for some reason.
    I set it to 2gb file size with AC3 audio. I noticed it will go to unpacked if I convert the AC3 audio to MP3.
    Quote Quote