VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey,
    is there a way to auto-stretch an event's length when changing the playback rate back to 1 through the event's properties? like how vegas reduces the event's length when ctrl+dragging, when adjusting the playback rate?

i changed the playback rate of an event by holding down ctrl and dragging, and the event was modified in length.
    now i want to change the playback rate back of the event back to 1, and have the event's length go back to the length is needs to be for the playback rate of 1. basically the opposite of the auto-stretch vegas down when using ctrl + drag.

is this a thing vegas can do?
    how can i go about reconnecting the event to it's adjacent events, changing it's playback rate to 1, so that the video looks like it plays seamingly again?
    thanks
    Last edited by ricmetal; 13th Mar 2018 at 18:38.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Right-click, Properties, Playback Rate, set it to 1. Then you will have to drag the event back to the length you want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i know,
    what i'm asking for is a way to set the length of the event automatically when the playback speed is set to 1
    if i drag the length manually, there's a chance the video will not be correctly timed with the next event...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    If you mean you want it to be the same length it was before you stretched it, the only thing I know of is Ctrl-Z. Unless you used the whole length of the event, in which case you can drag until you see the end marker.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ctrl-z's not an option as i've done the changes many saves ago, and the event is part of a 1 hour vid, which is the only vid in the timeline.
    is there a way to ask an event to stretch until the point in the video the next event starts?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Do you mean you need auto ripple on? That adjusts following connections.
    If you need to find out correct lenght just put the same clip into timeline and match it or match it to the same frame.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    from what i've used auto-ripple. it just brings the next events into the left, when you delete an event. can it match the video, when pushed to the left, of the previous event?
    this whole system is a mess when wanting to do what i'm trying to do. such greatness, vegas, then a simple task like this hinders me for days.

so i guess i'll have to manually get times, and stitch stuff together with time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well, it could kind of turn into a disaster if having auto ripple on, imagine someone does the same thing as you, changes speed back to 1, and Vegas shifts things to the left (in your case). Also it could shift things to the right (if you sped up). The outcome is not clear. So it just stays as it is. Vegas has that V shaped gap on the clip, so you know if that clip was extended beyond length one or not.

Anyway, it seams like couple of second problem. You have a frame on the right and then find the same one on the left, then cut it. Use mouse wheel to zoom in or out all the way. It anchors slider on the timeline just like a + or manual.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ricmetal View Post
    is there a way to ask an event to stretch until the point in the video the next event starts?
    Can't you just grab the right end of the event and extend it to meet the next event?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Vegas has that V shaped gap on the clip, so you know if that clip was extended beyond length one or not.
    yes, to bad for me that the point in the video i'm editing is in the middle of the video, so i can't use the v shape thing either.

lemme show you exactly what's going on, it's been a pain to explain..
    i'll try and stitch things together, but for anyone else that might have a better solution also.
    what you'll see me doing is reducing the event length of a portion of the video when using ctrl+drag to speed it up, and then wanting to set the event's speed back to normal, but i don't know what the event's length is/should be, so that the end of the event plays seamingly with the next event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgl-yUujwrs&feature=youtu.be

i also cannot just delete the event i changed and the next event, and stretch the left event to the end, cause there are multiple events after these that have been edited.
    Last edited by ricmetal; 15th Mar 2018 at 17:33.
    Quote Quote  
  11. This is exactly what I or perhaps others thought it was. There is nothing to it.

Frankly, I do not understand what the problem is. It is just simple frame matching. Either you find a frame from the left or from the right, or deleting that clip and extending from whatever direction to matching frame or the other way around. Or just drop that whole video to another track temporarily and use it as a reference for cutting , whatever way. Easy to solve it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i'm not saying it can't be done; i can probably do it frame by frame or using timecodes
    but in the end, i was just asking if vegas could do this for me
    so i don't have to be dealing with timecodes nor individual frames..
    Quote Quote