VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings, I am new to this forum. I've been using Any Video converter for a while now and just upgraded to the Pro version. I've had a question into their support team for three weeks now without a reply and I'm tired of waiting for an answer.

I am now a new PLEX user and am using that for viewing many of my video discs. I've recently been converting my DVD library to .mp4 files and imported them into Plex. The issue: All of the videos I've converted so far have the subtitles "burned" into the video track. I have no way of disabling them in Plex on playback which is really annoying. What I've read of any video converter is that the subtitles are supposed to be in a "separate" file from the video so you can choose to display subtitles or not. I don't know if I am misunderstanding, using incorrect settings in any video converter or something else entirely. The process I've followed is to create an .iso file of the original disc for backup purposes using Any DVD Cloner Platinum and then bringing in that .iso file to any video converter.

Can anyone help and thank you very much!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well someone may be able to assist you.

However, had you visited these forums BEFORE you were fooled into buying that 'Pro' version you would have been shown how to do what you want and all with free software - including the dvd rip.

Now as far as I can tell, that software is just a video converter. It is not a sub-title extractor. So you either convert your video with subtitles as you have done or select a no subtitle option.

So you can still use your $40 program to convert the video but use another free program to extract/rip the subs if you actually want them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use the free program MakeMKV (although I have paid for the subscription to save having to update it every few months) It doesn't re-encode your DVD's and you can select which audio tracks and subtitle tracks you want. They will not be 'burned' in. So no reduction in size 4GB in 4GB out etc.. I use to use PLEX but as I now have a Popcorn A-500 no need.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't use PLEX but found this on supported subtitle formats

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200471133-Adding-Local-Subtitles-to-Your-Media

Seems as if the format on a DVD (IDX/VOBSUB) can be a problem.

You can extract them with VSRip. If needed (and you can't findd the subtitles elsewhere on the net) you can perform an OCR with Subtitle Edit.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I appreciate the replies. Videobruger I'll take a closer look at the Plex article and see how that applies. In my case I am trying to get rid of subtitles, not add them but if the Plex article helps me to get them separated from the video track, that may work also.

I am totally open to other software suggestions. I am not wedded to any video converter. My needs are simple: 1) create .iso image on disk for backup (ideally with copy protection removed), 2) ability to convert to multiple formats (Plex and Apple compatible) with subtitles selectable to either view or not.

That's pretty much it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DB83 you mention a program to extract sub-titles. Have a recommendation for me?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can not actually recc a program since I do not rip dvds - I was speaking generally of free software that you can find from the software section (Top of this page for the link)

One program has already been mentioned in this topic. SubRip is another that comes to mind.

Of course, as has already been stated, you do have the additional issue of your chosen player which may not be so accommodating as PC video players.
    Quote Quote  
  8. In my case I am trying to get rid of subtitles
    I'm not familiar with Any Video Converter and why it hardcode the subtitles. But you could drop the ISO image created by Any DVD Cloner Platinum on Handbrake instead and encode to a mp4 file (HandBrake will use the extension m4v. Just rename it to mp4)
    HandBrake will only include subtitles in the mp4 file if you specify it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have this problem too. And it seems some replies have missed the point.
    AVC hard-codes subtitles even when I specifically selected 'NO SUBTITLES'.
    It only does this on some video files and on others it does what you want and does not add the subtitles.
    So, what is wrong with AVC that it does this?
    I don't know if an older version might be better. More often than not newer version of things are not any better than the previous version.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have used the free version before. I don't remember that any video converter supports me to freely select subtitle track. Other altenratives have the ability to let you choose subtitle track or disable subtitle if you don't need. Google and try more programs.
    Your dvd disc might also be the cause. Some dvd disc is burned with subtitle. The subtitle just exists on your video image. You can't remove them though DVD ripping is done.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PepijnSplin I know the difference between removable subtitles and hard-coded subtitles and that is not the problem with the discs I used.
    I can remove them in other applications but when converting with AVC they do not get taken out as I chose.
    Once again, it's not all discs ripped that do this, only some, which are not hard-coded.
    Quote Quote