VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have converted the above using dvd2avi and then Tmpgenc and the resulting mpeg plays fine on Windvd but on my ps2 and 2 standalone machines the picture keeps jerking every 5 secs or so. I have tried 3 diff types of media but get the same result.
    All I can think of is when I chose NTSC dvd on Tmpgenc I increased the BITRATE so the file was just over 4 gig. Could this be the problem. Having deleted all the files I have not had chance to retry yet
    Quote Quote  
  2. It sounds like the framerate was padded to maintain the FPS (Frames Per Second) setting you specified. I suspect that you have encoded LOTR at a higher FPS setting than the original source SVCD. This would cause jerky TV playback because your encoder would have to add extra frames (padding) to maintain the FPS specified. This issue would not affect playback on your PC as it is able to adjust. Your TV on the other hand cannot.

Since you have deleted the original SVCD telling you how to fix the issue is moot. Going forward you will need to check the FPS of the source that you are going to re-encode.

D
    Quote Quote  
  3. judder on TV playback can be caused by ->

1) bad transcoding (NTSC/PAL)
    -- frequent non uniform judder
    2) incorrect field order
    -- judder every few secs
    3) bitrate not handled by standalone player
    -- judder effect or "freeze" skipping
    4) non constant frame/audio rate
    --Occasional judder (non uniform) with audio desync
    5) mixed format DV
    -- screen artifacts with judder
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks a lot for the advice. Luckily I have the 4 cds and am going to have another go tonight but leave the bitrate the same. I did the same with Scooby Doo (not altering bitrate) and that was fine
    Quote Quote