VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi to All! First of all, i have to thanks to all for the info i got from this forum. Now, i need help and advice. I know this topic was mentioned more than once but i hit the brick wall and i need some guidance. I wasn't active with converting of any files in the past 6 or 7 years so i'm a bit rusted. Long time ago i was using dvd shrink and dvd fab to rip files to my hard and then i transfered to blu ray. I would buy movies in the shops and then i would make myself backup copies in case original gets damaged. With that i have loads of mkv files that i want to convert to blu ray. Usually i would watch it on my pc or my ps4.
    Now, since i am bit rusted and i remember that all this years ago i was using MultiAVCHD for that, i wonder is there any better and easier (i mean quicker options) lately?

For example, I have file that is 37 gb. I want to add subtitles and convert it to blu ray but compress it to fit on BD-25 gb disc.

In the past few days (following this forum) i tried few options.
    1. I added the subtitle to my file using MKVToolNix (that worked fine) - when i played my file i could go to subtitles and find that subtitle under unspecified but and that's ok.
    2. Then i used TSMuxer to convert it to blu ray by using output as blu ray folder (that worked fine as well, i played my file and i could get subtitles as well) but i couldn't determine the size so i got blu ray file with the same size.
    3. I tried to use BD Rebuilder (before using ts muxer, with original mkv file) and after extraction started i got error message)
    4. I tried to use BDtoAVCHD as well, which seems quite simple but as soon as encoding starts i got error message.

I remember that before i was doing everything with MultiAVCHD but it takes a bit longer so I was wondering anybody has any ideas? I can post later what errors i get since i didn't do screenshot before.

I know this was mentioned so many times and believe me, i went through the forum to find the solution but i'm stuck now and any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Here is the file info
    [Attachment 47622 - Click to enlarge]

Thank you so much
    Last edited by Damirko1981; 26th Dec 2018 at 13:07.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    BD Rebuilder is the tool to use to convert the MKV to Blu Ray format and reduce the size to fit a smaller disc.

Once you install BD Rebuilder, go to Help-->Inspect. Make sure everything is set up properly. If you pass the inspect process, you can continue.

To open an MKV file, go to File-->Import-->Video Files. In your output options, you'll need to set the 25gb Blu ray size.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    BD Rebuilder is the tool to use to convert the MKV to Blu Ray format and reduce the size to fit a smaller disc.

Once you install BD Rebuilder, go to Help-->Inspect. Make sure everything is set up properly. If you pass the inspect process, you can continue.

To open an MKV file, go to File-->Import-->Video Files. In your output options, you'll need to set the 25gb Blu ray size.
    Hi Kerry and thank you for your reply.
    I did Inspect function and i got this (all ok)

[Attachment 47625 - Click to enlarge]

And after that (it did current progress to 100%) i got error message and abort, like this

[Attachment 47626 - Click to enlarge]

Any idea why is that happening?

Thank you once again
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    You don't have enough free space, most likely (27.04GB)
    How big is the file you are importing?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    You don't have enough free space, most likely (27.04GB)
    How big is the file you are importing?
    Maybe that's the issue, yes. File is 31 GB. I was thinking that i will need around 24 GB of empty space. I have 26,9GB on the disc where I'm saving. Looks like i have to clear that out a bit.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Hi guys,

So unfortunately, BD Rebuilder didn't work for me. I had all the necessary programes installed such as AviSynth, FFDShow, etc, but it keeps coming back with the same error (picture below)

[Attachment 47632 - Click to enlarge]

I cleared my HDD, plenty of free space to work with but always error and abort. Since that is not working i would like to ask this;

1. Any other program that you can recommend that will do the same for me?
    2. In case i have already converted mkv to blu ray and i have BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders but i still have more than 30 GB in size, can i shrink that file to 25 GB so it can fit on disc? DVD Fab maybe?

Thank you once again for all your help
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Hi again guys, looks like there is no end to my misery

Yesterday i did this;
    1. Converted my mkv to blu ray with tsmuxer and i got what i wanted, folder with BDMV and CERTIFICATE. I tried playing the stream file and it worked perfect.

2. Since i had 30 GB big folder i wanted to shrink it to fit to 25 GB BD disc. I tried with DVDFab. Operation was successful but movie was twitching every second or so (i realized it's frame rate issue, at least i think so even though i didn't change anything. It has that annoying judder or stutter all the time). My file is 23,976 fps. Where did i go wrong? I was hoping DVDFab will sort this out since i just used copy option from folder to another folder but set target as BD 25 and fit to disc. I got 21,5 GB file which i wanted.

3. Since that didn't work, i tried using my first converted file with TS Muxer again, but this time i imported in into BD Rebuilder and again error as every time. I run BD Rebuilder for 20 times in the past few days and for some reason it doesn't work for me. I got this message

[Attachment 47643 - Click to enlarge]

Would anyone be able to give me an advice on this? I would be more than grateful. I don't know what else to try.

Thank you
    Last edited by Damirko1981; 28th Dec 2018 at 08:56.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Don't know what is going on with BD Rebuilder here. I rarely see it fail.

You might try reducing the size of the MKV file you have (with the subtitles) in another program, like Handbrake or Vidcoder, to reduce it in size to fit the disc you want, then run it through tsMuxeR to get a Blu ray output. It might not be entirely within strict Blu ray specifications this way, though you can set parameters in either of these programs manually to fit what you need.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Can you post the entire log?
    You should be importing the MKV, and not the TsMuxer BD folder
    Try using the TsMuxer output as an actual source
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Can you post the entire log?
    You should be importing the MKV, and not the TsMuxer BD folder
    Try using the TsMuxer output as an actual source
    Hi Gonca, in the first few times i did import the original mkv file, without using any programs before that. Only after that failed couple of times, i tried to import BD folder that i got from TS Muxer.

I'm trying Kerry's method at the moment, shrinking mkv with Handbrake and then will see how it goes. I'll do another run with BD Rebuilder and post entire log.

Thank you so much
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Keep in mind when using BD Rebuilder, you'll need twice as much or more free space since it creates temp and working folder(s) as well. So you're 25G file balloons to ~50-70G
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Can you post a mediainfo report on the mkv?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Damirko1981 you wrote,
    "Yesterday i did this;
    1. Converted my mkv to blu ray with tsmuxer and i got what i wanted, folder with BDMV and CERTIFICATE. I tried playing the stream file and it worked perfect."

Ok, as stated not sure why BDRB failed, "it rarely fails"..Hi Kerry56 it's been a while!..
    I have used Handbrake and Vidcoder in past with good success for file reduction, however you can also use BDRB to reduce> BD-9, BD-5 size as well.

Since the stream created by tsmuxer "worked perfect", try this that's worked for me when making MKV for Plex streaming.
    Use MakeMKV>File> Open files> and import the index.bdmv from the BDMV folder created by tsmuxer, (I'm assuming it created one). MakeMKV will create a file which you can now import into BDRB.
    But remember, you will need lots of free space.
    Hope it works!
    BTW, I've also tried DVDFab and the result was a glitchy video.Others YMMV.
    As gonca said "post a mediainfo on the mkv"
    Last edited by t0nee1; 29th Dec 2018 at 09:44.
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Can you post a mediainfo report on the mkv?
    Of course, here it is

[Attachment 47663 - Click to enlarge]

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search PM
    Can you repeat with text view, shows more info?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by t0nee1 View Post
    Damirko1981 you wrote,
    "Yesterday i did this;
    1. Converted my mkv to blu ray with tsmuxer and i got what i wanted, folder with BDMV and CERTIFICATE. I tried playing the stream file and it worked perfect."

Ok, as stated not sure why BDRB failed, "it rarely fails"..Hi Kerry56 it's been a while!..
    I have used Handbrake and Vidcoder in past with good success for file reduction, however you can also use BDRB to reduce> BD-9, BD-5 size as well.

Since the stream created by tsmuxer "worked perfect", try this that's worked for me when making MKV for Plex streaming.
    Use MakeMKV>File> Open files> and import the index.bdmv from the BDMV folder created by tsmuxer, (I'm assuming it created one). MakeMKV will create a file which you can now import into BDRB.
    But remember, you will need lots of free space.
    Hope it works!
    BTW, I've also tried DVDFab and the result was a glitchy video.Others YMMV.
    As gonca said "post a mediainfo on the mkv"
    Thank you for all the info

I will update you quickly what i did last night. I imported the original mkv into DVDFAb
    Since it was mkv (in my first trial i imported folder created by tsmuxer and result was twitching or stuttering as i mentined before since i used copy option), this time i was using create blu ray and set the output on 25Gb fit on disc option. My 30 GB file was shrinked to 15Gb (which i don't mind since the picture quality was still amazing and the twitching was gone - only this time i had issues with subtitle. Since i was putting Croatian subtitle, i have set all the parameters right, codes and everything but when the final product comes out, it didn't show me some of our characters). But still, at least i managed to convert.

I played with Handbrake last night and it's great software, only issues i have with it i can't input target size since latest version removed that option. So i cut out only 700mb from my file to play with it until i get what i want. Originaly, quality is set to 22 RF, and that converts my 700 mb file to 54 mb. Big change. I would like to keep it more closes to 23GB. It looks like i will just have to play with those settings untill i get it properly.

As for BD Rebuilder , it could be that it's the space issue. I'm running low and i left around 35 GB of free space, didn't know i need at least 50 to 70GB even but thank you for letting me know and i will deffo try this option. I think it's the quickest one, handbrake estimated around 13 hours to convert 30GB.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Can you repeat with text view, shows more info?
    Of course gonca, and thanks again

General
    Unique ID : 79106022664208633417125622299271764233 (0x3B83440A5B6DC9A49BBBEEF9FF7A1909)
    Complete name : D:\title.2018.1080p.BluRay.REMUX.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos-FGT (1).mkv
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 4
    File size : 30.9 GiB
    Duration : 1 h 42 min
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 43.1 Mb/s
    Movie name : title.2018.1080p.BluRay.REMUX.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos-FGT
    Encoded date : UTC 2018-12-24 18:41:16
    Writing application : mkvmerge v29.0.0 ('Like It Or Not') 32-bit
    Writing library : libebml v1.3.6 + libmatroska v1.4.9
    Cover : Yes
    Attachments : cover_land.jpg / small_cover.jpg / small_cover_land.jpg / cover.jpg

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, RefFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 33.7 Mb/s
    Maximum bit rate : 37.6 Mb/s
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.677
    Stream size : 24.1 GiB (78%)
    Title : title.2018.1080p.BluRay.REMUX.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos-FGT
    Language : English
    Default : No
    Forced : No

Audio #1
    ID : 2
    Format : MLP FBA 16-ch
    Format/Info : Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
    Commercial name : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
    Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 2 836 kb/s
    Maximum bit rate : 5 022 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 8 channels
    Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossless
    Stream size : 2.03 GiB (7%)
    Title : title.2018.1080p.BluRay.REMUX.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos-FGT
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No
    Number of dynamic objects : 11
    Bed channel count : 1 channel
    Bed channel configuration : LFE
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    Just for sh*ts and giggles
    Take original MKV and remux with MKVToolNix,
    just omit the subtitles
    Import the new MKV into BDRD and process as usual
    Also, please post the entire log of BDRB as well
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Just for sh*ts and giggles
    Take original MKV and remux with MKVToolNix,
    just omit the subtitles
    Import the new MKV into BDRD and process as usual
    Also, please post the entire log of BDRB as well
    Woohoo, success!

I did exactly what you said, but i did it with trimmed mkv file so i don't have to waste all day converting. Process;

1. Imported MKV into MKVToolNix, with subtitles (and i marked them as burn in just to stay on the safe side)
    2. Newly created file i imported into BD Rebuilder and it worked perfectly fine. It converted file in few minutes and it's great. It looks like there was an issue with the available space in disc.

Here is the complete log;

[12.29.18] Checking System Settings
    - BD-Rebuilder v0.60.04
    - Windows Version: 6.1 [7601]
    - Working Path Free Space: 12,51GB
    - AVISYNTH Version: 2.6.0.6, Ok
    - LAVFILTERS: Ok
    - X264: Ok
    - X265: Ok
    - AFTEN: Ok
    - FAAC: Ok
    - MP4BOX: Ok
    - WAVI: Ok
    - TSMUXER: Ok
    - FRIMEncode: Ok
    - FRIMDecode: Ok
    [12.29.18] Systems Settings Check complete
    ----------------------
    [22:58:11] Importing MKV: SKY
    - Preparing MKV for processing...
    - Collecting audio/video streams from source...
    - Building pseudo-BD source structure...
    [22:58:27] Video import completed successfully.

Just one more question if i may; when Bd Rebuilder finished conversion, i got three folders - BDMV, CERTIFICATE and PSEUDO. Can i delete PSEUDO folder when i'm burning it to blu ray or i have to keep it? Heaven't seen that one before.

To all of you guys, i can't thank enough. I really appreciate all the help and i hope i will be able to return the favour one day.

All the best!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search PM
    I'm running low and i left around 35 GB of free space
    definitely an issue
    have about 2.5x free space of the file size
    i.e.
    10GB file >> 25GB free space
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search PM
    Can i delete PSEUDO folder
    If the MKV was BD compliant yes, if not then no, the folder will be needed for re-encoding
    Quote Quote