VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to be able to take 10-12 DVDs recorded on my set top DVD recorder (in 2 hour mode) and author the content to a dual layer Blue Ray disc in the original resolution. And be able to watch them on a Blue Ray player with a menu. Is this possible? I don't have any real use for a BR burner if I can't do this.

If anybody knows anything about this Iwould appreciate the info. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Let me know where you find a BLUERAY BURNER a BLUE RAY DVD and a BLUE RAY player..........???
    To answer your question...at this time NONE of those are available to my knowledge......
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by dafoe
    I want to be able to take 10-12 DVDs recorded on my set top DVD recorder (in 2 hour mode) and author the content to a dual layer Blue Ray disc in the original resolution. And be able to watch them on a Blue Ray player with a menu. Is this possible? I don't have any real use for a BR burner if I can't do this.

If anybody knows anything about this Iwould appreciate the info. Thanks
    If all you would use the BD burner for is archiving shows that you recorded with your standalone DVD burner, you would be better off buying a NAS and a network media player instead of spending approx 500 for a BD burner and $30 a pop for a 50GB BD disc. Not to speak about the time you would have to invest in burning and possibly even making some 30 dollar coasters if something goes wrong.

just my 2 cents

What are you talking anout???
    Let me know where you find a BLUERAY BURNER a BLUE RAY DVD and a BLUE RAY player..........???
    To answer your question...at this time NONE of those are available to my knowledge......
    There are no stand-alone BD burners, but from his comment it looks like he wants to author his DVD titles meaning with a PC - thus PC rom based DB burners exist.
    Listen to me now and believe me later
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    dafoe-
    it's not really an option to do what you want. there are no dual layer blu-ray burners or media at this point. you are limited to single layer - 25gb @ $15 each for a blank.

so you might get 4 or 5 mpegs you record on a $15 blank but those same mpegs at the same quality on dvdrs would cost about $1.50 ......
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by aedipuss
    dafoe-
    it's not really an option to do what you want. there are no dual layer blu-ray burners or media at this point. you are limited to single layer - 25gb @ $15 each for a blank.

so you might get 4 or 5 mpegs you record on a $15 blank but those same mpegs at the same quality on dvdrs would cost about $1.50 ......
    Don't wont to burst your bubble either but the LG GGW-H10N does burn DL BD discs link URL Newegg. And Meritline sells DL BD discs form Panasonic for 30usd.

The outcome is the same though. It is for now not an viable alternative as storage solution.

BTW, Nero 7 Premium with the DB and HD-DVD plugin lets you author BD discs. I am sure there is other software to do this.
    Listen to me now and believe me later
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sorry - missed that little LG bugger, didn't see it come out.

you're right lots of programs can encode/author HD/BR discs but if you start with SD video source material it won't look any better than a normal DVD.

but if you plan on getting an HD camcorder or recording HD tv in HD anytime soon it might be fun to play with.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not really concerned with the cost. PC Blue Ray burners that burn 50GB discs can be found on Ebay quite often for between $400-$450. I haven't looked for a couple of months, but I assume that is still a feasable option. Not a bad price considering I paid aprx $400 for my first 1x Single Layer DVD burner. The cost of the discs is a little crazy. But for me, it would be worth it.

I record tons of sports stuff and it is getting a little out of hand. I either have to condense the content or stop recording. I am not going to be one of those weirdos that has a house overrun by useless junk- in this case, DVDs. I hate clutter.

I want to turn 10-12 shelves of DVDs into 1 or 2 shelves of Blu Ray that I can play on my TV with my PS3 or my Blue Ray Player. With fully functional menus and the original resolution.

In order to do this, I would need to author the content at normal DVD resolution (or lower as many games were recorded in SP mode) to a 50GB BDR

I'm trying to figure out if the Blue Ray format would accept anything at that resolution and if there are authoring programs that would do it
    Quote Quote