VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi,

i'm trying to add a subtitle stream to a dvd. to do so, i'm demuxing (with pgcdemux) and then remuxing with muxman.

but that's not the problem here. the thing is, if i use subtitle creator to create my .sup file so that i can add it to muxman, everything's ok! i then remux with vobblanker and that's it...

but after testing subtitle creator i didn't like the way it displays my subtitles. i'd rather spend some more time retouching them, and i do it just like Afterlife suggested here (https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=292313)

so i use subtitle creator first to synch the subtitles with the movie, save as .srt, then convert that .srt to .ssa in subtitle workshop and then use MaestroSBT to finally convert (with the appropriate formatting) to .sst (Scenarist) (because muxman doesn't accept .son (dvd maestro)...

i believe i'm doing things right, but after generating my .sst and then muxing with manmux and then updating the ifo's with vobblanker, i get no subtitles at all!!

any thoughts?

tnks
    Quote Quote  
  2. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How do you know that there are no subtitles? Does the DVD structure indicate that there are no subs, or do you just not see any when playing it?
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i just can't see them playing...yes they'r there, i can select them, just can't see them
    Quote Quote  
  4. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The most likely cause is that the subs are positioned too low (outside the visible field on the TV). Try opening the VOB-files in DVDSubEdit and adjust the subs in height. It could of course also be a case of wrong colour choice (black sub on a black background is difficult to read). You can use DVDSubEdit to fix the colours tool.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    strange...when i load the .ifo in powerdvd i have the subtitles to load, which i do, but still i can't see them...

but if i load the vob files with the program u suggested, it detects 0 substreams...:S

i don't know what's going on...i tried as u cleverly suggested to raise the subtitles, but with maestrosbt...the preview there displays the subs at the middle of the screen, so there would be no doubt as to where the subs would be, but yet i can't see no subs...
    Quote Quote  
  6. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ?? This sounds strange. How do you mean that DVDSubEdit detects 0 substreams? Is there nothing but "all streams" to choose under "Subpic selection"?

If that is the case I think we can clearly assume that there are no subs in the VOBs, meaning that something went wrong during the authoring. I don't think I can help you with that one, I've never used Muxman to author with subs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I may be able to. I have a vague memory of trying to use MaestroSBT generated SST files in Muxman once, with no success. I don't think it likes SST with a bunch of BMP. It wants the whole thing inside the SST. So, I make SUP files for Muxman, and never have a problem. I think if you demux your new subless DVD using PGCDemux, you'll find the SUP file is very small. That is, it may be there, but there are no sub pics inside and therefore no subtitles show up when playing the DVD. Or maybe there's some other reason I don't understand or care about.

Using MaestroSBT, generate a SON file with all the BMP. I do use 8 Bit Bitmap Windows Uncompressed, by the way. From there, use SON2VobSub to get IDX/SUB files, SubToSup to get the SUP file, which you then use in Muxman.

http://dvd.stuff.gr/downloads/459-Son2VobSub.rar
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just a wild guess that may be way off, so you've been warned...

I've worked with SRT files somewhat and they always have color problems for me. I've seen SRT files that appeared to not display, but it was because the background and all the other settings were the same color. Maybe the SRT conversion is hosing you up. I don't remember the name of it, but there is a program that can change the color settings on SRT files. It could also be that your subtitles are being displayed outside the viewable area as someone said.
    Quote Quote