VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a SONY Hi8 (with TBC) player today. It is capable of converting analog to digital in a pass-through mode.

My question is whether or not the TBC is active during pass through or it just works when playing a Hi8 tape in a "direct out" mode.

Anyone know? If it did I may not have to buy a external TBC.

Many thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is this for capturing VHS tapes though?

I'm not sure when the TBC is active on these things because usually the TBCs on them are rather weak in most cases, likely line-based or full-field, not full-frame. You can call support on this, but they likely have no clue sadly...

Then again, you can try and see if the TBC is active and/or is useful regardless of which mode it's supposed to be active. It's your eyes here.

Try it with, and without, a passthrough on the same segment of tape. Look closely for shaky lines in both outputs, particularly in still scenes or with lines, letters or credits etc. If you notice considerably less quiver with the passthrough then the TBC is active and definitely doing something.

But honestly, as much as I hate saying this, nothing beats a full-frame TBC for this. If you tried several methods of with/without passthrough and see no/little difference likely it's a weak TBC or is only activated when in "direct out".
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think you are probably right G. I will probably have to buy a TBC for the VHS at least.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DaveP56 View Post
    I bought a SONY Hi8 (with TBC) player today. It is capable of converting analog to digital in a pass-through mode.
    Which one? Where did you find it? I might be interested in buying such a thing...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Playman View Post
    Which one? Where did you find it? I might be interested in buying such a thing...
    B&H in NYC
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which model?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is only one. Sony.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM

Is that Sony GV-D800 Digital8 Video Walkman VCR?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not in front of the unit!

B&H.com - search "Hi8 Video player"

As stated above there is only one and it is made by SONY.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    B&H.com
    Invalid URL

The URL http://B&H.com contains characters that are not valid in the location they are found.
    The reason for the problem may be a mistyped URL, but the URL may also be an attempt to trick you into visiting a website which you might mistake for a site you trust.

search "Hi8 Video player"

As stated above there is only one and it is made by SONY.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Hi8+video+player&N=0&InitialSearch=yes actually shows two models...

Anyway, thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got the one with the screen as I thought it would be useful and it is.

These are the final units available. When they sell out this batch there are no more!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a SONY Hi8 (with TBC) player today.
    I think you are probably right G. I will probably have to buy a TBC for the VHS at least.
    Well, you can still use it for what it is. It is a nice unit, but I certainly don't expect a good TBC from it for VHS transfers.

According to its specs, all I see is "Time-Based Correction" without explanation, which to me means it's a mild ripple corrector otherwise they'd get specific.

If you've done some testing and see a difference, and are happy with it, then you'll be fine. I'm not going to say you need a full-frame TBC for good results, but you will for that extra bit better output.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The TBC is only for analog Video-8/Hi-8 playback, it can't be used for pass through video signals. My Sony Hi-8 Handycam has the same circuit, it does dynamic noise reduction and is likely a line TBC. Definitely not a full frame TBC.
    Quote Quote