VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    In my trash is a folder with no files, yet I can't Empty trash because it says a file in the trash is locked. If I try to copy the folder back to the desktop it says that file stream.yuv is locked and won't copy to the desktop...so how to I get rid of this file and Empty my trash?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    terminal

type

sudo rm -R [drag file from trash to terminal window]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sweet, worked perfectly...I never knew you could drag to the terminal like that. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. didnt work for me.. when i go into the trash folder and into the folder i can not delete i see this file...

[Donald-Radlunds-Computer:.Trashes/501/DMBShows] donaldradlund% ls
    ????????????HFS+ Private Data

what the hell do i do to get rid of that?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try `sudo rm -rf .Trashes/501/DMBShows`
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TGPO - the stream.yuv file is a temporary item of forty-two the desktop/finder cant handle this item very well. Usually it is removed properly when encoding is done, however if you halt it or quit the encoding this steam.yuv hangs around.

My experience is if you save your forty-two file anywhere but the desktop and let the encoding complete on its own, this .yuv is removed automatically.

If you decide to quit it for any reason, just remember the
    sudo rm -R [drag file from trash to terminal window]

later
    Galactica
    Quote Quote  
  7. damn, still didnt work.. this is the error i get when i run the command:

[Donald-Radlunds-Computer:~] donaldradlund% sudo rm -rf /Volumes/MacintoshHD/.Trashes/501/DMBShows
    rm: /Volumes/MacintoshHD/.Trashes/501/DMBShows/␀␀␀␀HFS+ Private Data: Operation not permitted
    rm: /Volumes/MacintoshHD/.Trashes/501/DMBShows: Directory not empty

help me
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In order to remove a directory you first have to remove the files in it I do believe. Once the directory is empty use the command rmdir to remove the folder.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you can remove a folder and its entire contents [files, folders, or both] using the command:

sudo rm -R /path/to/folder

works every time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. when i do that "sudo rm -R /path/to/folder" i get this:

[Donald-Radlunds-Computer:~] donaldradlund% sudo rm -R /Volumes/MacintoshHD/.Trashes/501/DMBShows
    Password:
    override --------- root/wheel schg for /Volumes/MacintoshHD/.Trashes/501/DMBShows/ HFS+ Private Data? y
    rm: /Volumes/MacintoshHD/.Trashes/501/DMBShows/ HFS+ Private Data: Operation not permitted
    rm: /Volumes/MacintoshHD/.Trashes/501/DMBShows: Directory not empty

this is really irking me.. it is there no matter what
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi,
    sorry if I bring an answer which is not "the right way" or the "unix way" : I had this problem twice already (I had the feeling that the file came from mencoder, but now that that you mentionned 42, maybe it might have been 42, which anyway seems to use mencoder as well) : I deleted the "undeletable" file from macOS 9, very simply. To the trash you go ! And emptied the trash, as for any other file...

No problem of right or locked file, as it's not handled by OS 9.
    To the question, "may this break something" I can't answer, anyway, I did not notice any trouble after I erased the file this way...
    Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That sounds good, but I don't have OS 9 installed on my computer. OS X only.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try this

Go to the terminal and type

cd /Volumes/MacintoshHD/.Trashes/501/DMBShows/

rm -R HFS+ Private Data

then do a rm -R on the /Volumes/MacintoshHD/.Trashes/501/DMBShows/ folder and see what you get.

Another way is to open FIND from the FINDER and add the visibility criteria and search for a FOLDER named DMBShows open that folder in the finder [from the search window] and GET INFO on the HFS+ PRIVATE DATA folder. change the owner and permissions to match your user and apply to all enclosed. Then do a sudo rm -R command on the folder from the terminal.

OS 9 sucks. I don't use it either.
    Quote Quote  
  14. That sounds good, but I don't have OS 9 installed on my computer. OS X only.
    OK - here's the ultimate OS X file nukage. Reboot and hold down Command-S - this will get you into 'Single-User mode'. Check the filesystem is mounted as read/write - type `mount`to get a list similar to this:

bash-2.05a$ mount
    /dev/disk0s9 on / (local)
    devfs on /dev (local)
    fdesc on /dev (union)
    <volfs> on /.vol (read-only)
    /dev/disk0s10 on /Volumes/Users (local)
    /dev/disk0s11 on /Volumes/UnixFS (local)
    automount -fstab [372] on /Network/Servers (automounted)
    automount -static [372] on /automount (automounted)
    bash-2.05a$

Make sure that the entry for '/' is not (read-only)

Now try `rm -rf /Path/To/The/Damn/Folder`. If that doesn't work then nothing will Press Ctrl-D to continue normal multi-user booting. Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go get cocktail at: http://www2.dicom.se/cocktail/

This little, free application will remove all kinds of stubborn files.
    Quote Quote