VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Broadcast networks sometimes interrupt network shows for "breaking news", losing significant portions of the show. I can watch the full un-interrupted episode on a network website (e.g. ABC.go.com/shows) using my cable TV userid. But I would like to record these that were interrupted (I normally record and keep all of the shows in a series as they are "broadcast" from the cable box using a DVD recorder).

Is there any PC software that would let me record the show, in any format (MP4, AVI, FLV etc.), while it is playing from the network website on my computer?

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many providers also include "on demand" as a service to their subscribers, so that's another alternative.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mail2tom View Post
    Many providers also include "on demand" as a service to their subscribers, so that's another alternative.
    Thank you for the suggestion. The cable providers sends a No Copy signal in the "on demand" playback and the DVD recorder refuses to record it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion. I went to the Tools list and checked a couple of the categories (Capture, Streaming Recording). There wasn't much that said it supported TV network streaming (e.g. ABC), was still being developed/supported and had good review comments.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Novice20 View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion. I went to the Tools list and checked a couple of the categories (Capture, Streaming Recording). There wasn't much that said it supported TV network streaming (e.g. ABC), was still being developed/supported and had good review comments.
    ChrisPC Free VideoTube Downloader specifically says "ABC" in the description. Maybe you should try it and see if you can make it work. Someone may or may not come along and write down detailed instructions for using it or one of the many other download tools.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

ChrisPC Free VideoTube Downloader specifically says "ABC" in the description. Maybe you should try it and see if you can make it work. Someone may or may not come along and write down detailed instructions for using it or one of the many other download tools.
    Thank you usually_quiet for your suggestion. I respect your knowledge and know that you meant to give me a good solution.

However, after I downloaded it and went to install it, SuperAntiSpyware popped up warning me that there were tons of adware in the downloaded installation file. I had it do a quick scan and it found almost a dozen adwares that were downloaded from ChrisPC's site. (I had run a scan just a little before that with clean results so I know they were all from ChrisPC.) I won't trust a site that is sneaking in adware (without notifying and asking as other software installers do) and I certainly won't let them stick that stuff on my machine.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you usually_quiet for your suggestion. I respect your knowledge and know that you meant to give me a good solution.

However, after I downloaded it and went to install it, SuperAntiSpyware popped up warning me that there were tons of adware in the downloaded installation file. I had it do a quick scan and it found almost a dozen adwares that were downloaded from ChrisPC's site. (I had run a scan just a little before that with clean results so I know they were all from ChrisPC.) I won't trust a site that is sneaking in adware (without notifying and asking as other software installers do) and I certainly won't let them stick that stuff on my machine.
    The VideoHelp page for ChrisPC Free VideoTube Downloader does warn that it contains adware. Most freeware with an installer attempts to install adware. If you pay very careful attention, you can usually avoid installing it.

To get help you should provide a link for the episode that you want to download from ABC. I have downloaded a couple of things from PBS. They required using different tools to find the download link on the webpage that played the program. One of the tools was freeware with adware included by the installer.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You can get the highest quality from the ABC Go website with ffmpeg and urlsnooper/fiddler
    1. Open urlsnooper/fiddler
    2. Open the episode you want to watch
    3. After it starts playing, close it and start searching in urlsnooper/fiddler for a link with .M3U8 in it (e.g. 10005356.m3u8)
    4. Copy that link and paste it here:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i "POST THE LINK HERE" -c copy "output.ts"
    5. Open the command prompt, paste the ffmpeg line with the url you found and hit enter
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

The VideoHelp page for ChrisPC Free VideoTube Downloader does warn that it contains adware. Most freeware with an installer attempts to install adware. If you pay very careful attention, you can usually avoid installing it.

To get help you should provide a link for the episode that you want to download from ABC. I have downloaded a couple of things from PBS. They required using different tools to find the download link on the webpage that played the program. One of the tools was freeware with adware included by the installer.
    Thank you again usually_quiet: Here is the link to the episode: http://abc.go.com/shows/marvels-agent-carter/episode-guide/season-01/05-the-iron-ceiling
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pub View Post
    You can get the highest quality from the ABC Go website with ffmpeg and urlsnooper/fiddler
    1. Open urlsnooper/fiddler
    2. Open the episode you want to watch
    3. After it starts playing, close it and start searching in urlsnooper/fiddler for a link with .M3U8 in it (e.g. 10005356.m3u8)
    4. Copy that link and paste it here:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i "POST THE LINK HERE" -c copy "output.ts"
    5. Open the command prompt, paste the ffmpeg line with the url you found and hit enter
    Thank you, pub, for your suggestion. I'm afraid I am a bit lost here. I downloaded the 32-bit static Build per the website's instructions but I don't see what to run. I don't see any file named urlsnooper/fiddler to open.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you rbl82 for you suggestion. I downloaded the software, entered the URL but cannot get it to do anything. The "Help" instructions are in Spanish so I can't get anything from that. It just sits there with a large "Waiting" box on the left side where you show a check
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you rbl82 for you suggestion. I downloaded the software, entered the URL but cannot get it to do anything. The "Help" instructions are in Spanish so I can't get anything from that. It just sits there with a large "Waiting" box on the left side where you show a check
    Paste the link for the webpage containing the video into the URL text box.
    Click on the magnifying glass icon
    Wait for the "Processing" icon to change to "OK".
    Pick from the list of m3u8 links that appears on the right side of the window. (The resolution for the download is part of the text.) After that the download will start.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Feb 2015 at 12:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pick from the list of m3u8 links that appears on the right side of the window. (The resolution for the download is part of the text.) After that the download will start.
    Thank you rbl82 for the clear instructions. There is still one thing I don't understand about selecting the resolution from the list. What do you mean that it's part of the text? Does it say somewhere what the best or "correct' resolution for a particular download should be?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you rbl82 for the clear instructions. There is still one thing I don't understand about selecting the resolution from the list. What do you mean that it's part of the text? Does it say somewhere what the best or "correct' resolution for a particular download should be?
    I mean that clicking on "m3u8_6902579_1920x1080" downloads video with a resolution equal to 1920x1080. That would be the best one for most people, unless one intends to play the video on a device that only accepts video with resolutions up to 1280x720. In that case they would want to click on "m3u8_2816000_1280x720".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you usually_quiet for clarifying that. I apologize that i didn't realize that you had made the previous post.

I'm watching the folder into which it is doing the download. It is less than half done and it has already created over 250 files of 2.5K each (MPEG-2 TS Video) and over 300 "crypt-nnn.key files. Is this what it's supposed to do? If so, how do I play this once it's done?

Thank you
    Last edited by Novice20; 22nd Feb 2015 at 19:27.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you usually_quiet for clarifying that. I apologize that i didn't realize that you had made the previous post.

I'm watching the folder into which it is doing the download. It is less than half done and it has already created over 250 files of 2.5K each (MPEG-2 TS Video) and over 300 "crypt-nnn.key files. Is this what it's supposed to do? If so, how do I play this once it's done?

Thank you
    Downloads are usually sent in pieces. atresdownloader will join the pieces to create a single file containing the entire video when the download completes. You can delete the leftover bits afterwards.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi Novice20 ,

Just for information , have a look at :
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/370379-capture-mp2t?p=2376044&viewfull=1#post2376044

Cheers .
    JE SUIS CHARLIE !!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Thank you
    Downloads are usually sent in pieces. atresdownloader will join the pieces to create a single file containing the entire video when the download completes. You can delete the leftover bits afterwards.
    Thank you usually_quiet. But nothing was combined here. I just have all of the MP2 files in the folder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aazerty View Post
    Hi Novice20 ,

Just for information , have a look at :
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/370379-capture-mp2t?p=2376044&viewfull=1#post2376044

Cheers .
    Thank you for your suggestion but I have already downloaded that after someone else suggested it and I can't figure what to execute to run that program. There isn't any obvious "exe" file.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM

Thank you
    Thank you usually_quiet. But nothing was combined here. I just have all of the MP2 files in the folder.
    I had the entire video in one file at the end of the download process without doing anything extra. It wasn't hard to find, but since I did not make any notes regarding the file name or where I found it, I am downloading again.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hi Novice20 ,

> There isn't any obvious "exe" file.

Read : https://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffmpeg

You'll have to choose the good version depending which OS you own .
    And downloading a file => unzip it in any directory .

And try the process told at : https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/370379-capture-mp2t?p=2376044&viewfull=1#post2376044

Cheers .
    JE SUIS CHARLIE !!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried 3 times last night but the download did not work as before. All I had were a large number unplayable .ts files and .key files, as you described.

I found the original file that I downloaded, "abcusaMarvelsAgentCarterTheIronCeilingSeason1Epis ode5WatchFullEpisodeABCcomtypem3u8_6902579_1920x10 80.mp4". It is playable and 1.46 GB in size. I had moved it to a different drive and don't recall its original location after the download.

[Edit]I started a download one more time this morning and left Adownloader running unattended for about 3 hours. I found the mp4 file above in Adownloader's default download directory, C:\Adownloader\downloads
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Feb 2015 at 14:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried 3 times last night but the download did not work as before. All I had were a large number unplayable .ts files and .key files, as you described.

I found the original file that I downloaded, "abcusaMarvelsAgentCarterTheIronCeilingSeason1Epis ode5WatchFullEpisodeABCcomtypem3u8_6902579_1920x10 80.mp4". It is playable and 1.46 GB in size. I had moved it to a different drive and don't recall its original location after the download.

[Edit]I started a download one more time this morning and left Adownloader running unattended for about 3 hours. I found the mp4 file above in Adownloader's default download directory, C:\Adownloader\downloads
    Thank you usually_quiet. It was most kind and considerate of you extending so much effort, and spending so much time, to help me. Unfortunately, the only thing in the Adownloader\downloads folder is another folder "img" which contains a jpg of a scene in the episode.
    Quote Quote  
  24. hello
    you can use adblock plus addon on firefox and livestreamer
    1) install adblock plus firefox addon
    2) start the video
    3) click ABP icon click Open blockable items
    Click image for larger version

Name:	z1.png
Views:	843
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	30436

4) search for 'm3u8' (without ' ')
    Click image for larger version

Name:	z2.png
Views:	925
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	30437

5) copy the url
    we have an url that looks like this

Code:
    http://content.uplynk.com/ext/d874124ecca24c88a3c9575e78686acf/10030060.m3u8?exp=.............&ct=a&eid=.........&oid=...................&iph=.......&rays=........&euid=.......................&sig=.................&ad.cping=1
    with numbers and/or letters in place of ......... (for each launch of a video, the numbers and letters are different)

6) close the video (important)

7) use the url with livestreamer
    Code:
    livestreamer "hlsvariant://http://content.uplynk.com/ext/d874124ecca24c88a3c9575e78686acf/10030060.m3u8?exp=.............&ct=a&eid=.........&oid=...................&iph=.......&rays=........&euid=.......................&sig=.................&ad.cping=1" best -o MarvelsAgentCarterTheIronCeilingS1Ep5.ts
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet:

I re-ran it again tonight and I did get the MP4 file. The problem may have been that I specified an output folder last night instead of letting it use its "default" download folder. Tonight I pointed it to its default, as you noted above, and there it is.

Thank you again for your time and help!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!