VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. how can I reduce bitrate and frame rate whaen converting avi to mpeg-2(dvd) with convertx to dvd ?. I mean how to change settings ?. Is there any other options to reduce file size ?.something like keeping audio format(not converting to ac3) ..keeping 2 channel output like...?please reply..Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Reduce the framerate? DVD uses only two defined framerates, 25fps for PAL and 29.97fps for NTSC.

I don't use the program you tried, but you should be able to either reduce the bitrate directly, or the final size (which also directly influences the bitrate). And again, only certain kinds of audio are allowed for DVD and if you were thinking about keeping MP3, you can forget about it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jasoothai View Post
    how can I reduce bitrate and frame rate whaen converting avi to mpeg-2(dvd) with convertx to dvd ?. I mean how to change settings ?.please reply..Thanks.
    - CX2D does not offer precise controls over bit-rate and size. Default settings are optimised.
    - As you are in India your ideal settings for CX2D would be
    720x576 (DVD-PAL) 25fps (Aspect : 4:3 or 16:9)
    Target Size : DVD-9 (Once CX2D final size exceed DVD-5, use dvdshrink to get dvd-5)
    Resize Method : Auto (will keep maximum details)

Is there any other options to reduce file size ?
    - Target Size : DVD-9 (Once CX2D final size exceed DVD-5, use dvdshrink to get dvd-5)
    This will give you nice quality.

.something like keeping audio format(not converting to ac3) ..keeping 2 channel output like...?
    -nope, CX2D will re-encode either it is ac-3 2ch or 5.1 ch.
    CX2D can not pass-thru'.
    Allowed Audio Formats for DVD are pcm (wav), MPEGII layer-II, ac-3 and DTS only. All other audio formats are required to be re-encoded to any of above.

Alternatively try AVStoDVD on short-sample run may offer more control over your desired settings.
    Last edited by Bonie81; 3rd Nov 2011 at 01:55.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jasoothai View Post
    how can I reduce bitrate and frame rate whaen converting avi to mpeg-2(dvd) with convertx to dvd ?. I mean how to change settings ?. Is there any other options to reduce file size ?.something like keeping audio format(not converting to ac3) ..keeping 2 channel output like...?please reply..Thanks.
    You can't reduce the framerate.
    see https://www.videohelp.com/dvd
    You can reduce the bitrate.

Also can use a smaller frame size:
    352 x 576 pixels MPEG2 or
    352 x 288 pixels MPEG2

Which might be less blurry with very low bitrates.
    Can also reduce the audio bitrate, 128 kB or higher AC3 is normal, but can go down to minimum 32.

HCEnc is good for getting the best quality at lower bitrates.

Play with the settings, make some tests, see what you can put up with.
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks all for ur valuable comments....
    Quote Quote